1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Draft: QB Progress Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Honey Bear, Oct 9, 2015.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Super arm. Also has made big plays with his feet.

2. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Sounds like Jake Locker. The only Bill Obrien QB I want is Brady. Hoyer and Mallet are garbage and Hackenburg has looked like garbage in college. I'm guessing we will trade up and draft him a lot earlier than anyone else because he is an Obrien guy.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Chad Kelly's attitude may prevent him from ever doing anything with his career. Hopefully not, though.

Threatening to return to a bar and shoot bouncers with an AK-47? Seriously?

Kicked off Clemson for violating rules (rumors he had a gun).

Way to make Uncle Jim proud, kid.

#663 Two Sandwiches, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

True but think this had more to do with bringing in guys who had multiple years of experience in the exact system he is running. BoB has had 2 full drafts and has yet to draft or sign a single kid he coached at PSU, so just not sure why folks think he is bound to draft Hackenburg.

5. jmd726

jmd726 Member

I honestly don't see a long term solution coming out of this draft calss for us. Not one that stands out anyways. My favorite of the bunch is Hackenberg, but I'm not even sold on him. I'm a big fan of Kelly, but I figure he probably stays for another year. Maybe try and get Stafford down to Houston, I'd love to see that. I've heard the rumors that Rivers may also be changing locations this offseason. Then there are the obvious guys that you could try and bring in that are high risk/high reward...Kaepernick/Griffin III

6. jmd726

jmd726 Member

I sort of like the way that Hoyer and even Yates/Weeden have played. They havent lost us games, but we definitley need to add some weapons on offense regardless this offesason.

7. what

what Member

oh yeah! great post

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Ouch... sounds like another Ryan Mallett possibility.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Draft projections are indicating Ezekiel Elliott could be there for the Texans #1; you would have to do that. Most also ran QB's are a crapshoot, I still like the idea of picking up a couple of them 4-7 th and get them into the system to see who excels. You still have Hoyer, you've invested in Savage, you just put these guys in the cue, If this year in the NFL is any indication, you need a rack of QB's and a good team can win with just adequate play.

Guess Trevone won't be our Russel Wilson :( or our slot/jet/ emergency QB even :(

10. what

what Member

I love that idea for the texans. Get that RB! He'll be great fit for ya'lls team.

11. Two Sandwiches

I would love a top flight RB. Be that Elliott or someone like Booker from Utah.

They better come with a QB though. Otherwise, I'd rather wait for James Conner next year.

12. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Willing to see what Savage can do in training camp..

13. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Yates and Weedens success have come, in part, from OBrien simplifying the offense. Eventually teams will catch up. I'm okay with with Hoyer but he may be one concussion away from retirement.

It sounds like McNair has given a directive to get a long term solution at qb. But I don't think it has to be through the draft. I would like for them to consider trading for Garopollo.

14. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

BOB has to take a QB - preferably from a value position, e.g. Hack in the 2nd or 3rd Round. We know Hoyer isn't the answer, and we don't know what we have in Savage, so we absolutely need a 3rd young QB that can offer some competition for the starter's spot. This team has a great defense - it's time we begin investing in the offense. I'd love Elliott in the 1st (keep Foster as a tutor for 1 year) and Hack in the 2nd.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

The long term solution is there as long as it is the right match. Any of these guys will work as long as long as they are not forced to start on a bad team or are on a team with a good defense and running game. Enter the Texans. They shouldn't draft a QB in the first round because they almost always play their first round rookies. That could be disastrous without fixing the running game and tightening up the offensive line (crossing fingers for Quessenberry). The 2nd or 3rd round is a good possibility. Let the rookie compete with Savage for the backup position. The winner will most likely end up playing due to injury or performance of the starter, whoever he is. Speaking of the starter, I don't see any of the big names like Brees, Stafford and Rivers leaving. Those teams haven't planned for replacements. I think the Texans will take a stab at one of RG3, CK, Bradford, and Fitzpatrick. Most likely they end up with Hoyer as their starter again. It is a win-win. They win by drafting a QB early in the draft for the first time in what seems like forever. But he doesn't have to play immediately. And they win by improving their running game and holes in th defense. It will be interesting to see what they do with their free agents like Nate Washington. If they don't plan to resign him, they might have to draft a WR in the 1st 3 rounds again. And if they don't get the RB they want, they might be forced to keep Arian. I would love to bring Matt Forte on this team for a couple years. They also have to resign Brooks and/or Jones. There's a good chance one of them is gone either because Brooks chases the money to another team or the Texans can't afford Jones after paying Brooks. Crick, Pleasant, and Demps are also free agents. They shouldn't command a lot of money but I bet they still get raises either here or somewhere else. Both kickers are older free agents. They might have to pick between Grimes and Polk.

All that said, I'm more interested in what they do on FA than the draft.

16. Two Sandwiches

Hackenberg plays at Noon/11 Central on ESPN, by the way. In case anyone was unaware.

17. Two Sandwiches

Didn't realize Georgia has the best pass defense in the nation.

Should be a fun game.

18. SK34

SK34 Member

Greg ward?

19. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

The Texans need an RB just as bad as they need a QB. As long as they don't put off QB past round 2, I am ok with it.

20. Two Sandwiches

Hackenberg fell on his throwing shoulder after a run. He's still throwing the ball fairly well, but he's holding the shoulder after each throw. Backup is warming up.

That really sucks.

Edit: they pulled him. Too bad. He was looking decent.