1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Draft: QB Progress Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Honey Bear, Oct 9, 2015.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Bobby is going to be trashing Hoyer and pimping Mallet through this entire 9 game winning streak the Texans will have to end this season and through the first 3 quarters of the Texans vs. _______ in Super Bowl 50.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I really want a heralded TE first round this year.

Think that would complete our offense.

If you can take the Penn St QB in the third round you do that.

Would take a stud RB in the second.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Elliot has ONE case where he openly complained about the play-calling. He was right. He had 11 carries in a close game that led to the team's first loss of the season and most likely ended their championship bid. He was frustrated. He'll be fine.

Remember when Arian Foster was a headcase too?

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Where is Tom Savage in all this discussion? Is he being groomed for the future?

It's clear we aren't getting Lynch or Goff, so at best we'd get a QB that would need a few years' time to develop, with no guarantees that would happen.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

None coming out of the draft. The Texans will either have to trade for one or sign a FA. The available ones are:
    Gresham
    Gates
    Fleener
    Davis
    Barnidge
    Watson

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Whoever gets drafted would have to compete with Savage for backup most likely

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He was put in the IR so not much grooming this year

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Don't want any part of Hack in the 2nd. 3rd? Maybe? But even then I'm not sold. He's going to have to show A LOT during the combine and his pro day because his college career has been underwhelming. Maybe it was his team and maybe it was him. Regardless, he hasn't demonstrated that he can perform at the college level so there are going to be big question marks whether he can perform at the pro level.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He's going to shine during his pro day because he has all of the tools teams look for. The biggest knock against him is how poor his mechanics are under pressure which doesn't tend to transition well to the NFL. I don't want the guy and would rather go with Jacoby Brissett if we miss out on 1st round QB's.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Hackenberg screams Jake Locker to me.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He looks soft. Why would people want another soft QB?

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I could see that.

The only thing that'd make me feel comfortable with Hackenberg would be just knowing that O'Brien knows him better than any NFL guy, and O'Brien also, presumably, knows what to look for in a good NFL quarterback. Because of that, I feel like if O'Brien wants to attach himself, and possibly his coaching life, to Hackenberg, then I'd trust him.

I'm still on the Carson Wentz bandwagon, though. Take him in the second and develop him for a year behind Hoyer. They're similar enough that he'd be able to learn a decent amount from Hoyer/O'Brien. Take an impact player, whoever it is, in the first.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Whoa, wait a minute. You want

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Whoa, wait a minute. You want Carson Wentz because he reminds you of Hoyer???

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Not at all. I knew someone would thnk that though.

I'm just saying I could see similar traits at times.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

"I like Paxton Lynch from Memphis. His tape against Ole Miss is intriguing. ... All indications are he probably comes out. He's got a good arm, I don't think it's elite, (and) he's athletic for 6-7. He reminds me of Joe Flacco athletically," Mayock told The Rich Eisen Show. "Good arm, good release. He has to hasten the process a little bit."

Paxton Lynch - QB - Tigers

Memphis junior QB Paxton Lynch now ranks as Mel Kiper's No. 2 overall prospect.
    Right off the bat, Kiper cites Lynch's frame, height, mobility and strong arm. "It sounds trite, but the talent for the position is so clear, and the decision-making has been very good," Kiper writes. We believe this is Lynch's first time atop Kiper's quarterback rankings and now he sits just behind Joey Bosa on the overall board. It is no sure thing that Lynch declares for the draft, but Justin Fuente leaving for a bigger program could play a major part in the decision.

Source: ESPN Nov 20 - 10:09 AM

17. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

I am resigned to the fact that its going to be Hack. With the Texans now likely picking from 15-20, wouldn't surprise me if they reach for him. If BOB is still here, every choice he has ever made is clear indication that its going to be Hack

#337 BubbaMac, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Wrong. Texans will not draft a QB in the first round. Hell..Hackenberg is not even rated in the first 2 rounds.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And just because someone recruits a player in college doesn't mean they will draft they will draft them in the NFL. There have been NUMEROUS examples of this.

20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can see some strides being made on the offensive side of the ball. The passing game is a mix of throw the ball to Nuk and some good route concepts to get the other receivers open. Where they are really struggling is in the run game. Both the OL and the RBs have some ownership on that, and man, would it be a great to have vintage Foster back there, but the offensive backfield seems like the best place to invest this off-season to improve the offense. For whatever reason, it looked like the TEs were more involved the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure if that is due to Griffin coming back from IR (and Graham getting the Rahim Moore treatment), Yates looking for more underneath throws, or a combination of both?

QB: To the shock of no one who follows this team, we're still looking for the answer at this position. I think they will draft one high in the draft to groom, and Hoyer looks like a guy who would be a good mentor for a rookie QB. If it is Hack, I hope BO'B saw enough from him in their one year together to know for certain that it was the OL that has primarily led to his regression in college. We've got to get that pick right if/when we do invest in a young QB. That's really the focal point of the New England offense. Tom Brady just knows what he wants to do with the ball before the snap and that covers up for a lot of other deficiencies in the Pats' skill position players (and OL for that matter).

Would be great if we can come out of this off-season with two long-term starters at RB and QB. It doesn't necessarily have to come from the draft, but those are two glaring needs for this team, and BO'B has to hit on both.