1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

2016 Draft: QB Progress Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Honey Bear, Oct 9, 2015.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Texans picking a QB in the 1st round wouldn't surprise me. They kinda suck a drafting.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Oops! Should be Warren Moon instead of Rich Gannon twice.

3. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I was specifically talking about a young backup that was traded to another team and went on to glory. I think that Favre is the only one that truly applies.

Warner and Montana were definitely in the twilight of their careers. Manning is a completely unique situation considering his injury. the Colts getting the #1 pick and Andrew Luck being in the draft. I'll give you Gannon, since he went to the SuperBowl.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It worked at at least once before, which obviously means it's the most easiest and reliable way of finding a QB, right? /sarcasm

Yes, exceptions exist. But can we stop pretending that they're the rule?

Just because somebody once traded for a backup and it worked (hell, it even worked OK for the Texans), doesn't mean there's somebody currently out there who can step in and be a franchise QB.

Not even sure if that was the point you were trying to make. But I get frustrated. Finding a good QB is difficult no matter what route you choose. And while there are different ways of acquiring one, the objectively most common way of finding one is in the first 2 rounds of the draft. Finding one later in the draft or trading for another teams backup has worked, but only rarely.

#204 Cannonball, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I guess the question is why would a team trade the next Rodgers or Young (both 1st rounders by the way) for a 3rd round pick? What makes a former 4th round pick now worth a 3rd other than a few preseason games? What is the difference between Nassib and a guy like Savage?

But just for kicks, do you think the Pats would trade Garoppolo for a 3rd rounder if Rick and BoB came calling? We know BoB wanted Garoppolo so would think they would go after him if this is the route they take. Your philosophy is predicated upon finding a "diamond in the rough backup" at a value price. Don't forget that it took two 2nd round picks and dropping back 2 spots in the 1st round for Schaub.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Brees? He was only 26 or 27 when he left the Chargers.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Arguably it's only worked once because it's rarely done. For some reason NFL is all about the unproven draft pick when it comes to QBs. Yet they have no problem look the trash heap for other position players. From that trash heap are some great HOF players too. Steve Largent hits close to home, also The Bus, John Randle, so so many.

If you want %'s to make you feel comfortable then maybe you would prefer we pick up a CFL QB? The success rate isn't bad when you consider, Garcia, Moon, Flutie, and older guys like Theismann and Kapp.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

That's why I mentioned Nassib. The Giants organization and fans don't want the kid to leave but the kid doesn't want to backup Eli, who just signed a 5 year deal. They either trade him or he'll leave in a year regardless.

Nassib/Savage, not much difference between the two. I mentioned earlier let them battle it out. Either way I know I'll get an NFL ready QB who can start day 1 good or bad instead of a sit and develop QB.

I don't know but I would ask. I would take a 2nd year Garoppolo over a fresh rookie that's for sure and that's my entire point. I honestly might trade a 2nd + more for Garoppolo if that's what it took. I mean trade a 2nd for Garoppolo or draft a 2nd round QB unknown? It's so obvious to me the right answer.

Why do we always have to look to the draft for players, why can't we use our draft picks to draft from other teams rosters instead? You actually have NFL tape on those guys and you know they're NFL ready. We got to think outside the box because drafting a 1st or 2nd round QB is a lottery that takes you 2 or 3 years to find out if you won or bust.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I understand the philosophy but how do you know if these guys are actually NFL ready? Other than preseason games, I don't think there is any meaningful NFL tape on Nassib, Savage, or Garoppolo. Point being that you are gambling no matter how you spend the picks, whether in the draft or for a backup. Also not sure that it takes 2 or 3 years to find out whether you've won on a 1st or 2nd round QB as these guys typically play much earlier.

My main thing is just not reaching for a QB just because we need one. If BoB think Goff, Wood, Lynch, or Hackenburg are worth taking at whatever pick they have, then I won't have an issue with it. Spending a 1st on 1st round talent is no different then spending a 3rd on 3rd round talent. But of course we still have Rick Smith running things so who the hell actually knows what we are getting.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Steve Young?

11. eric.81

It doesn't matter, but Brees was the starter (NOT the backup) in San Diego. They drafted Rivers but franchised Brees that offseason anyway. He was the starter that next season but got hurt really bad (labrum). SD still offered him a $50 million contract that offseason, it was just too heavily performance-weighted.

So he went to NO as a free agent.

12. eric.81

Sorry, I actually agree with you... was kind of answering a trivia question with that post. I couldn't stand everyone talking about backups that were traded to teams where they flourished but leaving out Favre!

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's not really thinking outside the box... its exactly how they got Matt Schaub.

They also got a 3rd from the Cowboys for Drew Henson.... one of the more savvy GM moves in the history of this franchise (which was likely wasted on a complete nobody... like almost every other 3rd round pick).

I also suggested considering going for Garropolo if they really still like him. The Patriots would obviously listen... Brady isn't going anywhere any time soon, and they can use one of their multiple future draft picks on another guy to coach up.

14. Cannonball

Pick was used on Vernand Morency, who was later traded to Green Bay for Samkon Gado.

1 person likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Shocker.... exactly what I said... a complete nobody.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

All RotoWorld blurbs:

TCU senior QB Trevone Boykin is PFF's highest-graded quarterback (+40.8) and its highest-graded passer (+35.0).

The site passed along another interesting stat: Boykin's average sack time of 5.36 seconds is by far the most in the country, speaking to his supreme mobility. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound senior has racked up 2,927 passing yards with a 28/5 TD/INT ratio along with 524 rushing yards and six touchdowns on the ground. "It remains to be seen how Boykin stacks up against the running back duo of Leonard Fournette and Ezekiel Elliott in the race for the Heisman Trophy, but if he can keep up his recent form and get his team through the month of November without a loss, he will have a very good case for himself," wrote Zoltan Buday.

Source: Pro Football Focus
    Nov 1 - 12:57 PM

Paxton Lynch - QB - Tigers

Former Chicago Bears director of college scouting Greg Gabriel reports that two NFL personnel directors and two scouts rank Memphis redshirt junior QB Paxton Lynch "hands down" as the No. 1 quarterback.

Gabriel is quickly becoming Jared Goff's most outspoken critic. "Agree that Goff is talented but not physically ready," Gabriel summarized of the Lynch-over-Goff situation. The 6-foot-7, 240-pounds Lynch has three inches and 25 pounds on Goff (6-foot-4, 215). Lynch also has an 18-1 TD-INT ratio. Not too shabby.

Source: Greg Gabriel on Twitter
    Nov 3 - 9:17 PM

Jacoby Brissett - QB - Wolfpack

An East Coast area scout prefers North Carolina State redshirt senior QB Jacoby Brissett to Penn State's Christian Hackenberg and "believes Brissett will end up grading out higher."

One interesting aspect of this dispatch: It came before Brissett's star turn against Clemson on Saturday. In his Halloween coming out party, Brissett went 24-for-41 for 254 yards and three touchdowns and added a rushing score. Brissett's performance against the Tigers "impressed NFL scouts," per TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline, who added that Brissett "has a big league arm and easily drives the ball downfield with speed yet at the same time displayed feather like touch when necessary." Rotoworld's Josh Norris is a long-time Brissett fan and ranks him as the No. 2 QB in the class.

Source: Walter Football
    Nov 3 - 4:50 PM

Penn State junior QB Christian Hackenberg posted his highest ever PFF grade (+3.4) against Illinois on Saturday.

Interestingly, Hack didn’t attempt even one pass of more than 20 yards. If you don't think that tidbit correlates with our long-stated concern over his inability to deal with pressure, we don't know what to tell you. To be fair, Hackenberg was 7-for-8 for 98 yards and two touchdowns on passes between 10-19 yards (and 21-of-29 for 266 yards with two score overall). "Hackenberg (-3.9) gets a lot of hype as a potential high draft pick in the NFL draft in the future, but we haven’t seen him grade very well at all since we began grading college football at the beginning of last season," wrote Gordon McGuiness. Hackenberg must have a heck of a publicist.

Source: Pro Football Focus
    Nov 3 - 3:59 PM

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016.php

I wouldn't mind seeing the Texans take Ezekiel Elliott if they miss out on the top QB's, and then trading up to get Brissett. Not sold on Hackenberg

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Dallas might grab him or maybe the Ravens pending they stay in front of us regarding draft position

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Defense definintely needs more first round picks. :grin:

20. Cannonball

I've ready this quote about Goff before and I'm not sure I quite understand it. Gabriel says Goff isn't physically ready. In what way exactly? He might be a little light, but only a little. He's basically the same size as Eli Manning and Alex Smith. And not to use it a knock on Lynch, but there's never been a good QB 6-7 or taller. 6-4 or 6-5 is prototypical. I wouldn't knock him for being taller, but being taller isn't necessarily an advantage.