1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 21, 2015.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Hey thanks for the bits of scouting report guys, particularly Nook. I knew in generalities what Martes had going for him but hearing it's mostly a consistently/repeatability thing gives me a better idea.

McCullers at the end of his double A stint had a plus ML level curve, average to slightly below avg ML fastball (at the time, not peak/potential) and a below average ML change up (consistency and command-wise).

Paulino I just can't seem the find an updated scouting report. Saber-wise the numbers suggest atleast promotion to AAA.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It took over 500 PAs, but Myles Straw has his first professional home run.

3. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Rank the top 10 Astros prospects not currently in the majors

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

1. Martes
    2. Tucker
    3. Whitley
    4. Paulino
    5. Fisher
    6. Cameron
    7. Perez
    8. Abreu
    9. M. Sierra
    10. Stubbs

5. Buck Turgidson

High Desert is a launching pad equal to or worse than Lancaster.

6. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

If Straw was able to hit .374 in QC, I'm curious to see what he can do in Lancaster. Of course, he probably won't be there long...finish out this season then if he does well there he'll probably move up to Corpus to start next season.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Unless they trade away a few OF, I'll be surprised if Straw moves up to Corpus that quickly. Here's where I would slate all the OF in the system looking at next year:

MLB: Springer, Marisnick, Tucker, Kemp, TBD
    AAA: Aplin, Teoscar, Kemmer, Garcia, Fisher
    AA: Laureano, Ferguson, Boyd, Martin, Sewald, Vasquez
    A+: Tucker, Straw, Mizell, Wrenn, Porter
    A: Cameron, Pal, Benedetti, Roa, Dawson
    EST: Payano, Fernandez, De La Cruz, Lorenzo, Amador, Celestino, Machado, Benjamin, Sanchez, Muriel, Tejada, Pineda

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Quite the log-jam. Look for them to move guys like Aplin, Fisher, Teoscar for established pitching or other needs.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not expecting all of those to make it. I'd be happy to get two starting OFs out of that bunch to help Springer from the guys AA and up.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't see it. I see quite a few bums.

11. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

I see at least two legitimate prospects on each level. I suspect that is better than you will find in most, if not all, systems.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So considering the bust rate of legitimate prospects, there are a lot of bums there...we just may not know who all of them are at this point.

13. juicystream

Seeing as there were 5 names at every level, that means lots of bums. Seeing as every team has 3 OF spots and a DH, I don't see a real glut.

14. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Theres most definately a real glut but I'll assume your just trolling.

Sure there will be some bums but there's 2-3 guys tearing the cover off the ball at every level.

15. juicystream

Please tell me, who is knocking the cover off the ball at the MLB level? Springer and nobody else.

What about at the AAA level? Preston Tucker who can't defend and has a .677 OPS in over 400 ABs and is already 26. I'm sure they'll find room for Kemp, Kemmer, & Hernandez between AAA and MLB. None of whom are actually posting that impressive of stats in the PCL.

AA? Fisher is in AAA now and will be there next year.

A+? Who doesn't hit there?

A? Myles Straw

We have roster spots for everyone worth keeping, and spots left over for minor league filler.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I wouldn't say bums. Sure, they're not all elite guys that profile as everyday regulars, but the vast majority are legitimate prospects. Here's how I would grade all those guys, respectively:

MLB: B+, B-, C+, C+
    AAA: C+, B-, C+, C, B
    AA: B-, C+, C, C+, C, C
    A+: B, B-, C-, B-, C-
    A: B-, C, C, C, C+

Celestino, De La Cruz, Amador, Machado, and Muriel are the decent prospects that'll probably be in short season again next year.

17. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

It is not a big deal if we see things differently. And by that that I mean that you are seeing it incorrectly.:grin:

18. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Fine, you choose to see bums, I choose to see solid prospects. To each their own.

19. juicystream

I'd say you vastly overrate our players.

Springer is obviously a legit major leaguer, who doesn't really matter other than he is one spot on the MLB roster. Preston Tucker at this point has to be considered a replacement level guy at best. Hernandez & Kemp are legit prospects, but need to be either on the big league roster (full-time) or traded.

Andrew Aplin is a replacement level player. Kemmer & Fisher are legit prospects. I'd release Garcia.

Martin is probably the only good prospect of your AA bunch, with Laureano & Boyd being ok prospects. Ferguson & Sewald will struggle in AA, but I'd let them try. I'd release Vasquez.

Kyle Tucker, Wrenn, & Straw are all prospects I'd watch, even if I strongly question Straw's ability to translate to higher levels. Porter and Mizell are candidates to be released.

Cameron & Dawson are prospects. Pal, Benedetti, & Roa are filler.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Overall, I agree. I think you are downplaying Hernandez. Hernandez's stats are similar to that of White's (slightly less power), but he has speed and defense (i.e. he can play more than DH) to mitigate some of the risk. He might be a bum, he might be a player. Between Hernandez and Fisher, I give Astros a greater than 50% shot at having a player that is better than a bum.