1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016-2017] Jeremy Lin as a Brooklyn Net

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2016.

1. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

I understand that he flourished in his role at Charlotte, which was coming off the bench and such. But other than the few weeks during Linsanity, he really hasn't had the opportunity to be the clear-cut playmaker on a team...sure, he's had a handful of games when starters/stars have been out, but those were temporary situations. So IMHO it's premature to say that his best role is a 6th man role. Who knows...you could be right. But as JLin said himself, he wants to see how good he can actually be, and assuming the Nets are able to develop chemistry with the right teammates and the right system and culture, this is really the best situation for him at this point of his career.

2. mikus

mikus Member

It's all of the arguing over the years...people want to say that they were right and with all of that inertia, Lin could put up Harden-level stats and some people would still say he sucks. Heck, we got supposed Rockets fans here that already say that Harden sucks even with his current stats.

Realistically I think Lin can average 15+ ppg and 5-6 apg. That would make him an average starter. If he really improves his shot over the summer, he could do 16-17 ppg. That would make him a top 15 PG starter. Its not all-star level, but it's decent. If he did that then we can definitively say that the haters who said he was D-League or doesn't even belong in the NBA are certainly wrong, but no one will admit to that...

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Don't mind Heybitch, he's a Lin Lover Extraordinaire.

4. mig0s

mig0s Member

Its simple. If you put Lin in the corner, he'll suck.
    If you give him the ball, surround him with good shooters and a good pick and roll center, he'll succeed

5. BackdoorHarden

Good god, this stiff had 2 weeks and they made a movie out of him and they still write about him today.

AMARE, MELO, and HARDEN were right to push this stiff out of the NBA

All these years later, Knicks fans are still searching for anything as remarkable as the weeks that brought Linsanity.

It was — and remains — so special because it lasted so briefly, but with Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire alongside budding star Jeremy Lin, it never could have lasted, according to their former coach.

Former Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni confirmed this week on a podcast with The Vertical that the two established stars — sidelined for much of the incredible stretch — resented Lin for the praise he received and were unwilling to adapt to his style, which propelled the Knicks to seven straight wins in February 2012.

“It was there, it’s real,” said D’Antoni, who was recently hired as the Rockets’ new head coach. “The problem that we had was that for Jeremy to be really good, which he was, he had to play a certain way. It was hard for him to adapt.
    Modal Trigger
    Jeremy Lin and Mike D’AntoniPhoto: Reuters

“Amar’e, Melo, whatever, kinda had their way they had to play a certain way to be really, really good. So there was that inherent conflict of: What’s better for the team? What isn’t? Can they co-exist? Can they not? And again, they could co-exist if Melo went to the 4, which he really didn’t want to, and if Amar’e came to the backup
    , like the Tyson [Chandler], which he didn’t want to.”

Lin and Anthony now have to share the same town, with Lin signing with the Nets, but not the same court.

According to D’Antoni, that Knicks team became split as well, as to which brand of basketball would work better.

“So it’s now, ‘What are we gonna do?’ and so, we see how to go and I didn’t know how to get there,” D’Antoni said. “With losing again and you try to prod them and ‘you gotta play harder’ and all the coaches-speak … and communications like deteriorated.

“And then you would see the faces of guys that went through Linsanity and they’re looking at you … they see what we can do, we’re not doing it, they get frustrated.”

This past season, Stoudemire accepted no responsibility for his role in the end of Linsanity, but alluded to Anthony having issues with the rising star at that time.

“If [Lin] stayed, it would’ve been cool,’’ Stoudemire said in February. “But everyone wasn’t a fan of him being a new star. So he didn’t stay long. Jeremy was a great, great guy, great with teammates, worked hard. He put the work in. We were proud of him having his moment. A lot of times you got to enjoy somebody else’s success. That wasn’t the case for us during that stretch. You got to enjoy that and let that player enjoy himself and cherish those moments. He was becoming a star and I didn’t think everyone was pleased with that.’’

Yet D’Antoni’s final comment about his Knicks tenure seemed directed at those “frustrated” role players “that went through Linsanity” — likely excluding Anthony and Stoudemire.

“There’s some guys in the league that I really want to respect me,” D’Antoni said on the podcast. “I respect the way they play, I respect the way they look at the game, and their respect is more important instead of having a job. [If] everybody else is killing me, I’d rather be killed and those guys respect me.

“Relationships deteriorated where I couldn’t get the most out of people. Take me away and they’ll up their game.”

http://nypost.com/2016/07/13/how-carmelo-amare-pushed-jeremy-lin-out-mike-dantoni/

6. BackdoorHarden

Have you seen the Nets roster? They will be lucky to win 20 games

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

do you realize you are asking a chicken to respond to you?

not roster, rooster

8. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

My mind.

9. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

So they will probably win around 30 games and that's all.

10. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

He also said He rather let Lin to turn it over 7 times than the team as a whole to turn it over 14 times.

Well, that says a lot, James Harden is on his way averaging 7 turnovers per game. lol​

11. yoeddy

Fwiw, they started making the movie about him while he was still in college. They had no idea if Lin would make it to the NBA at that point.​

12. yoeddy

So you believe they will be improved over last season?

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Aww man. Are you going to follow me around now? Dang, I feel bad. I probably went too far.

As for whether I am a LOF or not, well I suppose one could always go back to me celebrating his departure and what I hoped was the end of Lin talk on CF. I wish him well, but on other teams - not the Rockets.

Anyway this post and insult was far from benevolent just FYI.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What makes you think he'll have 6.9 apg instead of 6.8? What was your reasoning for choosing tenths of an assist/rebound/point?

15. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

It's about knowing what the slight difference btw numbers mean.

16. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

well no, you are mistaking ball handling and passing skills with system....Lin is not a great passer or have great ball handling skills like harden has

17. yoeddy

I'll disagree and say that Lin is a great passer. I'll agree that he does not have great ball handling skills. Harden is the opposite...great ball handling skills, but not a great passer.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

And what does the difference between 6.8 and 6.9 mean? (Other than .1)

19. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Guys are way too optimistic about Lin's stats.

It will be a totally new challenge for Lin when he is focal point of opponent's defense game plan.

Lin can score in PnR but he is not that great a one on one scorer. He will be forced to give up the ball a lot if opponent decide to trap. And the current Nets don't have other major scoring threat other than Lopez.

His ball handling skill will also been greatly challenged because opponents will put a lot more pressure on him since he is now the main ball handler.

Don't get your hope too high. In order to perform well, Lin need ump his game, by a lot. And yes, he need to fix that shaky jumper to have a chance to score 15+ pts.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's the difference between extra crispy and regular chicken