1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016-2017 James Harden is having the most prolific offensive season in NBA history.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Canada, Mar 22, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

bbref doesn't post AST POINTS CREATED do they. I can't find it. where?

2. WestendMassive

3. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

That is what it is.

"A metric showing the quantity of passes made by a player to a player who was fouled, missed the shot if shooting, and made at least 1 free throw. Recipient must be fouled within 2 seconds and 1 dribble for passer to earn a FTA assist."

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Play-By-Play - Points Generated by Assists (PGA)

5. heypartner

NBA.com is using the scorers' table official "Game Book." I'm sure Elias does too. Go to any of the game scores and you will see a link to Game Book. There is a printed version and a digital version (just called pbp).

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

See this is what I believe ESPN did.

I had the guy who did the metric going back and forth with me and when I asked for his number going into tonight he mysteriously stopped responding:rolleyes:

BigMaloe likes this.
  7. BleedRocketsRed

BBRef has 2151 points generated by assists. Add 28 from today to get 2179

Add to his total points of 2356 and I get 4535

8. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

No one or at least not many cared about archibald's record for "most prolific season" these past couple decades so why are people surprised the public and media isn't making a big deal about Harden breaking it now (or not breaking it).

Im a pretty big fan of the NBA and before this season, hadn't even heard of Archibald owning the "most prolific" season in nba history. Sure i was aware he was the last player to lead the league in scoring and assists, but never did I hear people say he had the best or most prolific offensive season in NBA history. Nor did I hear people use total points produce to guage how great a player is. Not with Jordan, Magic, Bird or Lebron. I've seen ppl use PER, WAR, or and other advance metrics but total points produced? nope.

Of course total points produce is a cool metric and shows just how productive and remarkeable Archiblad and Hardens season is, but don't be surprise when it isn't wildly celebrated because for the past three, four? decades, it hasn't really been remembered or used as a measuring stick nor a celebrated record.

9. heypartner

where? mind giving me a link

edit...found it.

10. BleedRocketsRed

heypartner likes this.
  11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

heypartner likes this.
  12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

13. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I don't care what the public talks about, this is an extremely important record.

ipaman likes this.
  14. heypartner

Yeah, those aren't reconciling at all with nba.com.

You can filter out this last game to compare 80 games to 80 games at bref. nba.com shows 2172 pts counting 80 free throw points = 2092. Compared to bref's 2151 for 80 games.

Just understand, when one site scrapes from another, another might scrape from them. So, if bref's numbers match nbaminer, then it could all be from the same scraper code. I would hesitate to say just because more third party scraper sites agree, it means the SAP developers at nba.com are wrong.

I'm still game for taking volunteers to read the PBPs for harden. It takes like 2-3 minutes per game to count the 3pt assists.

DonKnock likes this.
  15. heypartner

You're not following along. There is no PBP sheets from Wilt's era, nor detailed boxscores. That's why noone can go back and check Wilt, Russell, etc. ,,,,ever. and btw: Russell is the one everyone figures has the Block record...not Wilt

split41 and DonKnock like this.
  16. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

If this is true, the Rockets stat organization truly messed up. Even when Harden came out in the 4th, I thought he should have stayed in until the 2 minute mark because we were only up 9 points at that point after their free throws. But it would have been nothing for him to get another bucket or an assist to break that record for sure. You never know when you will get that close again.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What's done is done. No need to ponder about it too much. Let's save it for the playoffs.

18. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I don't get this. Harden and Westbrook have similar historical impact on the NBA this season, give or take. Similar season averages, but Westbrook has a higher usage rate. Harden has done it more efficiently and effectively. All while leading his team to the third best record in the NBA. Like truly leading his team. He leads the league in win shares and by a large margin over Westbrook.

What are the arguments for Westbrook as MVP? It can't be breaking records and writing new entries. Harden has done the same. The media just can't find fancy nomenclature for his feats. JVG said it best. Although impressive, the triple-double is overrated. Especially if your team is 6th in the west. For the past 30 years, the MVP has been on a top-3 seeded team.

What does Harden have to do to win MVP?

2014: Team record not the best, can't be MVP
    2015: Team record was bad, can't be All-NBA
    2016: Team record is too good, can't be MVP

DonKnock and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  19. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

That's true, and from a team standpoint all that matters is winning in the playoffs. But these guys make millions, and almost billions now of dollars from their craft. Having a record like that can get you a larger shoe deal next time, or another 100 million dollar contract somewhere. So yes, when it comes down to it, records matter.

split41 and DonKnock like this.
  20. BleedRocketsRed