1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016-2017 James Harden is having the most prolific offensive season in NBA history.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Canada, Mar 22, 2017.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The only non-sense around the NBA right now is the way Harden is treated. Fack BSPN, fack Archibald, fack your stats, fack everyone, I'm sick of this **** mang. Everybody just wants to take jabs and kicks on Harden when he just had an amazing facking season. One of the best all time but instead of talking about it we want to pick it apart. Meanwhile up in shittown Oklashitty and on BSPN they celebrating round facking numbers like it matters.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@francis 4 prez says that nbaminer shows it missing by 1 point, so maybe he got it from there. But NBA.com should be the primary source, because nbaminer is likely scraping from nba.com's official pbp, and they probably have an error in their code.

I have to go with NBA.com's stats regarding their pbp, since they are the official source.

DonKnock likes this.
  3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

but nbaminer.com lines up with espn. what are the odds elias is also wrong? and taking out ft ast's, nba.com would have harden like 61 points lower than either of them.

someone go through all 81 game logs and figure this out.

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

5. heypartner

why are you saying nba.com's numbers don't add up. I'm saying they do. You sound like you are just using nbaminer's and saying they are correct since ESPN's tweet reported the same number, but may very well got them from nbaminer. it's a circular error.

I have to go with the primary source site of the Play by Play, and that is NBA.com. And when you spot check games, they seem fine.

DonKnock likes this.
  6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

7. heypartner

wait, are you saying Elias reported that, or ESPN Stats and Info?

8. ipaman

let's keep picking it apart until there's nothing left. pick at it, scratch it, all the way down to it's soul, until there's nothing left except an empty black hole and a foul stench of rotting empty accomplishment.

or celebrate and enjoy one of the most amazing offensive seasons of all time. you all can choose, I have.

Killatron 2000 and daywalker02 like this.
  9. WestendMassive

Completely understand that, but just don't understand ESPN's #s.

As an aside - do you know how the FT assists total is calculated?
    I am assuming it is points scored from free throws after what would have been considered an assist if it was a made FG.
    Has Harden really only created 80 points that way this season? I find that hard to believe.

10. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Elias hasn't made a statement on it unless it was in-house to ESPN.

BigMaloe and heypartner like this.
  11. heypartner

Don't know. I suppose if you read the play by play, and cross-reference with their stats, you should be able to figure it out.

12. BleedRocketsRed

2356 points
    907 assists, 368 leading to triples = 2182
    TOTAL = 4538

??

13. francis 4 prez

considering how often they mention elias, i just kind of assumed all their big stats came from elias. but even if it was stats & info i would certainly tend to believe it. but hell, i don't know, it's late and i'm tired and don't want to wade through game logs.

as for nba.com, it just seems like if they have 2172 with 80 ft ast, then their total would be 2092, which would be way way off from nbaminer.com, basketball-reference.com, and whatever number espn just reported, wherever they got it from (it was actually tweeted by espn, right? or was it something else?). that seems like a pretty huge error. does nba.com have the 3 point assist number? they and nbaminer have the same assist total at least.

i know it ultimately doesn't matter but i kinda will be mad at morey for a bit if he couldn't get this right and tell harden to stay in more.

14. heypartner

OK. If they do, that's a whole different story, as I don't think they use text scraper code to read PBP. I think they have actual scorers do that.

Anyhoot....if we wanted to, we could take volunteers and each take 10 games, and read the official PBP from NBA.com, and we'd know.

DonKnock likes this.
  15. heypartner

Where did you get that. Unless Elias Sports Bureau comes out with a different number than NBA.com's, I am not willing to trust any of the scraper code sites out there over the site who publishes the source PBP that ppl scrape from...and that is NBA.com.

Their code should read the pbp flawlessly, since they create the text that is being read. Being a software developer who does this stuff, I would not trust the third party scraper code developers over the source developers.

BigMaloe and DonKnock like this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Don't ESPN and NBA both use Elias as their source?

17. francis 4 prez

yeah definitely seems like a weird number. big men rolling and getting fouled would be a pretty prevalent stat for harden.

18. ipaman

So I guess you don't recognize The Dream as all time NBA Shot Blocker because Wilt's weren't counted. We would have to go back and watch tape and count them up exactly just like Archibald's FT assists. Good to know where you stand.

19. BleedRocketsRed

Total points and total assists from NBA.com obviously.

The three-point assists I got from http://www.nbaminer.com/player-assist-details/ . Just did 4.54*80 which came out to 363.2 (strange), rounded up to 364 and added 4 from today to get 368.

20. francis 4 prez

yeah, the point volume, assisted point volume, and TS% combination is pretty epic. rockets offense is one of the better in league history, although that is hurt somewhat by the fact that this was the most offensively efficient season in nba history by a decent margin, with 2017 beating out 87, 95, and 09 by almost half a point per 100 possessions.