1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016-17] Dwight Howard as an Atlanta Hawk

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2016.

1. craguin

craguin Member

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think the most fun I had regarding Howard in Houston was following the thread before he got here.

Game 6 against the Clippers is 2nd haha

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Won't be anything above 18

4. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I like Dwight. I think some of his criticism is unwarranted. By all accounts, him and Harden really tried to make it work on the Court, despite not being best friends, but there just wasn't enough chemistry. At times I think it all could have been different with a different coach, 1 that doesn't enable 1 on 1, 1 that preaches ball movement.

It's disappointing looking back on Summer 2013, and all the high expectations we had after signing Dwight. It was clear he wasn't the same player - whether because of injuries or a lack of interest. I hope he's healthy in Atlanta and I hope he's able to revitalize his career.

Great guy, just a terrible fit with Houston, especially after Parsons & Lin left.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Are you trying to say that the departure of Parsons and Lin are the main reasons for the epic failure of the Rockets last year?

And did you notice the team made the western final AFTER both players were gone?

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">OFFICIAL: <a href="https://twitter.com/DwightHoward">@DwightHoward</a> is home!<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TrueToAtlanta?src=hash">#TrueToAtlanta</a> <a href="https://t.co/Ix8NjrxVeT">pic.twitter.com/Ix8NjrxVeT</a></p>&mdash; Atlanta Hawks (@ATLHawks) <a href="https://twitter.com/ATLHawks/status/753012296083906561">July 12, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Atlanta Hawks (rather) signed Dwight Howard to his $70.5 mil contract - $23.2 mil, $23.5 mil and $23.8 mil, no options <a href="https://twitter.com/BBallInsiders">@BBallInsiders</a></p>&mdash; Eric Pincus (@EricPincus) <a href="https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/753012356142157825">July 12, 2016</a></blockquote>

7. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Wish Dwight nothing but the best. He wasn't a cancer. We just didn't have a real coach or a direction when he got here. Morey dropped the ball by not getting a big time coach.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&adSetCode=91cDU6NuXTGKz3OdjOxFdAgJVtQcKJnI&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=853&height=480&externalId=espn:17033143&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

You are an Atlanta Hawk. You are home. What does it sound like to hear Dwight Howard, Atlanta Hawks?

It's like a blessing. A big blessing to be able to play at home. I know when I was younger, I use to have Hawks jerseys and just imagine playing for my hometown team and now I'm actually playing for the team. It's kinda surreal. I don't know what to think right now.

Why do you think playing at home will be good for you?

The main thing for me was just wanting to be somewhere people believed in me. From the top, the owners, the coaches & a lot of the players have that belief that we can do something great. That's what really intrigued me about coming to the Hawks. Just to see the direction of where the team is going made me want to be a part of it.

What's behind the need for a new number?

It's just a new beginning for me. It has a biblical meaning. It's something in my spirit I felt like I wanted to change from where I was at it my career in trying to make the latter part of my career greater than the first part.

How will you look back on your time on the Rockets?

I thought it started really good. It didn't end the way we wanted it to in Houston. I really had to endure a lot of things. A lot of heartaches. A lot of things being said about me publicly that I knew wasn't true. I really had to learn how to endure those things and it made me stronger.

What things have been said bother you the most?

The one thing I hate to hear with a passion is people say I'm a cancer in the locker room. I'm a guy that wants to separate & divide a team. I've never been that way my whole life. Just to hear that word cancer, it really pisses me off to be honest with you. For the longest, I allowed negativity to consume who I was and I stopped being who I was. I stopped being this happy person, this person that loved to enjoy the game of basketball, have a passion for it.

How hard is it to be labeled a bad guy? First 6-7-8 years of your career you were a darling.

For 8 years I was having fun. Then I allowed the bad things or negative things people say to cloud my mind. I want to leave all that stuff behind me and I know people want to talk about it. Why this, why that? Everybody has had a past. Everybody has had skeletons in their closet. I've done my best to clean out my closet so I can start new, start fresh and be the Dwight that I have longed to be my whole life.

#88 J.R., Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  9. OTMax

OTMax Member

So what's the number?

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Lol is Dwight going back to pretending to be a really religious guy? Does this mean he's done making kids with random women?

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I saw that interview last night on SportsCenter.

I remember his interviews when he got to Houston and throughout his time here. The soft "sincere" tone he used during interviews, and the notion that he's ready to put the past behind him and start a new beginning. I'd imagine that's how Lakers fans felt when he got traded there and how Hawks fans feel now.

I'll tell Hawks fans like Orlando, LAL, and NBA fans in general told us here in Houston:

It will probably start off well, DH will play hard and become a fan favorite. You're going to wonder how it is that he got such a bad reputation. You'll say: "Yeah, his FT shooting sucks. But he does so many other things that affects winning... FT's aren't that big of a deal." You'll also begin to complain about how the team isn't getting him enough touches in the post. You're going to win games and DH will at times appear otherworldly dominant. Some will argue that he's the best and most consistent player on your team.

HOWEVA... Near the end of his tenure in ATL, your team will unexpectedly experience strife, chemistry issues, and drastic underachievement. You will start to notice his immaturity and lack of discipline on the court. DH's constant joking will wear thin, and the city will collectively want to slap that goofy mischievous grin off of his face. His FT shooting will start to cripple the team and leave your offense, at times, mostly ineffective while he's on the court. Your team will begin to lose, regularly. DH will begin to noticeably sulk while on the court, and appear aloof while on the bench. His play and production will nose dive, and the team will look discombobulated and fragmented. Some will blame this misfortune on injury, others will say coaching, and yet some will point the finger directly at DH. But no one will have the exact answer.

Then suddenly, just as mysteriously as he arrived, DH will be gone.

The fans in ATL will then know what those in Orlando, LA, and Houston know. And you will weep. You will dread the day that DH joined your team and unabashedly admit that everyone else was right about him all along.

Godspeed Atlanta.

1 person likes this.
  12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Yeah, it seems like everywhere he goes and every time he leaves it's the exact same story. Indeed the sincere tone of leaving his past behind and this is the right fit, he liked the direction and having the whole organisation and players have his back is the same. He could've been talking about any team basically.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, replay the Lakers/Rockets conversations ... said the same thing.

Rockets:
    •I have a new beginning, a new start, basically hit the reset button & start over.
    •So much happened in the last two years & I got a bad rap in different situations.
    •I get a chance to start over & go back to being the Dwight Howard that came into the league. I don't want people to forget that person.
    •My potential is crazy. I know the stuff I can do on the floor. Last year was tough. I had to sacrifice to win. I want to what everyone has said & use it as motivation.
    •Tough year. A lot of things that happened during last season. I had to man up and say I won't let this affect me as a person. It did for awhile. It was tough.
    •We get a chance to grow together
    •I'd rather be happy than have all the money in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW8CUk5L8gQ

Rockets:
    •Rockets had everything I needed with young talent, great coach, great city & good opportunity for me to grow as a player
    •I have to let all that stuff go. I got a chance to start fresh & move forward.
    •(When you say there are inaccurate things thrown out there, what are you talking about?) I've never been a crybaby. Never been a quitter. Never been a guy who has given up. I would never quit. Never been a quitter my whole life.
    •I'm Dwight. For years I've been doing what's best for everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eaQ5N-8hH8

Lakers:
    •Last year in Orlando? It was tough. Learned so much. Everything that happened will help me in the future. Past is behind me. I learned a lot. I learned some great things. It has humbled me. It's made me a better person. It's behind me. I'm looking forward to being in LA. City has welcomed me.

•What made you decide to leave Orlando? I would like to stay away from what happened. It's all behind me. A lot of things happened. We both started over. This is a new chapter in my life. I had 8 great years. Fans were unbelievable. One message I want to say is this is a business. I have love for the city & fans. I have to do what's best for Dwight.

•This is a business. I want change. This is great for me. Something I needed. I learned so much. Situation in Orlando helped me for the future. No need to look back.

•Situation in Orlando helped me move forward. This is a blessing.

•I can't make everybody happy. It was a tug of war between my feelings & everyone else. What happened to LeBron, everyone hated him for leaving Cleveland. I didn't want anyone to hate me. That was a valuable lesson. I can't make everyone happy. I have to do what's best for Dwight. I can't please everybody.

•I'm so happy to be here in LA. I haven't stopped smiling since I signed with the Lakers. Such a blessing to be here. So thankful. This situation has humbled me. I'm gonna take my time to show guys I'm thankful to 1) be able to play basketball 2) play with the Lakers.

•Here with the Lakers, Kobe, I can learn so much. This is the perfect situation for me.

•It upsets me people think I'm a certain kind of way. A lot of people around me know what kind of person I am. I've gotten stronger as person, as a man, now playing with the Lakers, being around so many greats is gonna help me. I'm looking forward to it.

•I have no regrets. Everything happened the way it was meant to happen. I wish some of the lies being said didn't come out the way it did. I have an opportunity to do something great in LA. I can't look back. I have to move forward. This is a great time in my career. I have a chance to start over. This is a clean slate. I have a chance to show people this is who I am. I haven't changed.

•Mark Cuban said you'll ruin the Lakers chemistry. Reaction? No reaction from me. My job is to play basketball & have fun. Everyone in the locker room with me knows who I am, the player I am. I've been the same person. I won't ruin anything.

•I'm gonna be who I am. Through this process, I didn't allow this to change me as a person. Being here with this team, already, the workouts, everything we've done, it's something I've needed for my growth, for me to go forward as a player. Having Kobe, Nash, the coaching staff, everything here is something I need to move forward. Decisions & that, when I make a decision, that's it. I'm sticking with it. I won't allow anyone to sway me into doing what they want. I'm gonna make my decisions & be happy and if they don't like it, who cares, as long as I'm happy.

•I don't have to fill anyone's shoes. No need to be someone else. I didn't come here to be someone else. I'm Dwight Howard. I'm my own man. I want to do what Dwight wants to do. My job is to come here, win & be who I am. I don't have to be no one else.

•People will say what they want to say. Brush them away. My goal is right here. I want to win a championship. I want to be great. I'm on that path. No one will stop me from getting to where I want to be.

•When did you realize you "learned a lot". What was the lesson learned? Biggest lesson is you can't please everyone.

•Why did you want to please everyone? That's always how I've been. I don't want to look back in 10-15 years and say why was I trying to make everyone else happy and I might have missed something? I have to make myself happy and do what's best for Dwight. End of the day, it's my life.

•It took me awhile to realize I can't do what's best for everyone else. That's how I've always been - make everyone around me happy. People have their agendas & opinions but I can't allow that to get me off track.

•Orlando is over with. I had 8 great years. It didn't end like everyone wanted to but we all moved on. I have a chance to start over. I want nothing but the best for the Magic. Now I'm here with LA. I have a clean slate, blank sheet of paper, I can write my own history with all the fans in LA.

•I'm still the same person. I have to do things a certain way. I can't allow people to make a decision for me or tell me how to think/react. Still Dwight, still gonna get a smile.

•Firing of SVG? Me & Stan, we've said things in the heat of the moment. We have the same mission: win a championship. We came up short. I had no say in him being fired. To this day, we talk. We have a relationship. We had 5 great years together. Didn't end right, didn't end well but we've moved on. We're happy for each other.

•I'm thankful to be in LA, to have this opportunity to play for the Lakers. This is my life. I'm happy I have this opportunity to start fresh, to start new. You don't get many opportunities to start fresh. I have an opportunity to get it right. Thankful & humbled. I love the city of Orlando. Fans & community are great. I spent 8 years building that city to where it is today. Thankful to the fans. But now I'm in LA and looking ahead. This city has accepted me with opens arms & embraced me. I'm gonna do everything in my will to have this city on fire. I'm looking forward to wearing the purple & gold. I'm so thankful & blessed. Looking forward to the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUNc2PZH9iI

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dwight Howard will wear No. 8 with Hawks. In biblical numerology the number signifies a new beginning.</p>&mdash; Chris Vivlamore (@CVivlamoreAJC) <a href="https://twitter.com/CVivlamoreAJC/status/753236166535680000">July 13, 2016</a></blockquote>

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

Kobe!!!

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Dwight contract looks better for the Hawks now that the hack-a is going to be more limited.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why wouldn't you say the same things when both times, Mike D'Antoni was there to dig the grave and bury the body.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Has nothing to do with Mike D'Antoni.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'm happy to be home. I want to thank my family & friends. I want to thank everyone for being here today. The organization, thank you for believing in me. I'm happy to be home. This building is where I spent time working on my game. This building brings back chills. This area was home. Every morning at 4 o'clock, we were in the back at the track trying to make it to the NBA. To get back to the top, you gotta go back to your roots. It feels like it's the right time. 3 years ago, I sat down with Bud. We made a real good connection at the time. Myself & the organization were at two different places. Now we're in a great place. I know I am physically, spiritually & mentally three years ago. 3 Years ago, I didn't think I would be the man I am today. I've been praying we come together. My prayers are answered. I'm home & with my family.

What was different this time?

The management. Grant Hill, everything, the plan, the purpose, it intrigued me. Why would I miss out on this great opportunity? The city itself is booming right now. People want to be here. Then our team. These guys have played great basketball. While they didn't get the goal, winning 55+ games, playoffs, it's amazing. Having Bud, a great leader, those things right there put Atlanta over the top. It was a no brainer. We met & after that, me & my agent went to eat, got in the car and said I don't need to meet with anyone else. I'm coming to Atlanta.

You've dealt with negativity in the past. How much of a chip is on your shoulder?

I could say it doesn't affect me but hearing it & what people have said, it has made me upset & put me in a place where I want to come back with a new me & dominate. What better way to do it in front of family & friends? I've had a chip on my shoulder since the season ended. I took 5 days off this summer. The last couple years left a bad taste in my mouth. I want to come back & dominate and happy to do it with Baze & Paul & the team. They've embraced me. Baze said we believe in you. After he said that, me & my trainer went to the gym & probably missed 3 shots that days. For him & coach & ownership to believe in me, it means a lot.

•Having aggressive guards who play good defense, it'll give them more confidence knowing I'm behind them. I'm looking forward to it. Baze, the way he plays, it's full of energy & life. He'll do whatever it takes to win. Excited to play alongside him. I'm super excited & can't wait.

What do you see yourself/game as?

I can be myself. Be free & go play. Last couple years, I allowed outside noises to affect who I was as a player & person. That's over with. I'm here, I'm home. I can be myself. Best part is having guys who believe in me. It's all about belief. We all believe we can do something special here in Atlanta. The way I work, the way this team works, we have an opportunity to do something great. Everyone is probably counting us out but who cares. We believe in ourselves.

•I had a lot of dreams of winning, being in the community & bringing our people together. I can't stress enough how excited I am to be home & bring communities together. It's making our city better. The main goal is to win. I've been thinking of ways I can be better.

•I had a long discussion with Grant, Bud, Wes about what the number meant to me. I won't explain it because it took an hour. It means new life, new beginnings & some other things. I decided to get a new number this year. I've had 12 my whole life. Difficult to change it. Change is hard but change is good.

#98 J.R., Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

dumb idea for him to change numbers. Hurts him from a marketing standpoint for his "brand" & whatever else he had going.

Joey Dorsey also wore #8.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I got it. Well that was an easy guess

1 person likes this.