1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016-17] Dwight Howard as an Atlanta Hawk

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2016.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

@Os Trigonum reaching peak troll status.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Always mad when it comes to fools that dick down my city and my Rockets. Scottie Quitten, Stacy McLady and Dwight Coward can suck my big Houston balls...

And I'm still pissed at Dork Elvis for letting Scola go... If you read this Daryl I still expect some retributions.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

So basically Dwight is some evil Stewey/Mr. Burns type of mastermind now? He actively sucked and torpedoed his own performance on a contract year just so he can stick it to the Rockets? He would say he wanted post touches, but then when the Rox gave it to him he wouldnt take advantage just so he can complain to the media? WTF are you smoking?

The Rockets were coming off a WCF run, there is no responsibility to take here or blame to distribute, if Howard could've been great all along then the Rox wouldnt have had a disastrous season.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Good job trashing every major FA that chose to sign with Houston, thats certainly the kind of behavior that would encourage future stars to sign with the team. I guess we can wait a couple of years for you to add "James Haren" to your list...

5. PeppermintCandy

Howard and Milsap are a deadly frontcourt tandem. Man, what could've been..

Os Trigonum likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. onreego

onreego Member

Cause he'd be a back up to Rudy Gobert?

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Because Utah

9. KevinMchale

KevinMchale Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/m/09ba49ec-8042-3441-bf05-01fdf4a3fdb4/ss_hawks'-dwight-howard-says-he.html

Dwight Howard wants to be a 3-point shooter. At least, that's what he said on The Doug Gottlieb Show on CBS Sports Radio on Monday. When Gottlieb asked the Atlanta Hawks center a tongue-in-cheek question about moving out to the 3-point line like Paul Millsap, Howard responded as if this was a real possibility.

"Actually it's something that we all work on every day in practice," Howard said. "You know what, it's going to happen. It's the beginning of the season. Right now, have to make sure that I do a really good job of trying to get every offensive rebound that I can, get every defensive rebound and just be competitive on the defensive end. And the offensive stuff will come. I do want to shoot some 3s, I think that it would just expand everything for myself and for this team. But right now this team needs me to dominate the paint."

[​IMG]
    Dwight Howard dreams of shooting 3s. USATSI

Honestly, I can't tell if he's being serious or not. In October, Howard said that he was taking mid-range jump shots seriously and wanted to be a threat away from the basket. That was believable -- he has tried that at various points in his career, but never stuck with it.

Part of the reason I'm having trouble buying this is that, in the same interview, Howard told Gottlieb that he pranked his mother by informing her he'd signed with the Utah Jazz on the first day of free agency. It was only when she started crying that he told her he'd actually signed his his hometown Hawks.

If he is being genuine, though, then he should probably slow down. Start small. Make a couple of shots from 12 feet, then try 18 feet, then, maybe, have a look at the 3-point line. Right now, Howard is 1 for 6 on the season on field-goal attempts outside of eight feet. More and more big men are shooting 3s now, but that doesn't mean everyone needs to.

#389 KevinMchale, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yeah but what about making them free throws first?

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight getting some love from Five Thirty Eight

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dwight-howard-has-transformed-the-hawks/

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:29 PM

Dwight Howard Has Transformed The Hawks
    By Chris Herring

Filed under NBA

For years, the Atlanta Hawks have had two guiding philosophies. Under coach Mike Budenholzer, the club has prioritized moving the ball in an uptempo offense, fashioning every player into a jump-shooting threat. On defense, Atlanta thrived thanks to the unusual frontcourt mobility of Paul Millsap and Al Horford. While neither was a traditional rim protector, the team used an array of hedges and switches to slow down pick-and-rolls and limit drives to the basket.

With that in mind, things were bound to get interesting one way or another this season. Horford bolted for the Celtics over the summer, taking with him the unique passing and mobility he provides at the center position. He was replaced by Dwight Howard, who is a totally different player from a stylistic standpoint even if he’s a surefire Hall of Famer. The Hawks, who for years lived on ball movement and swiftness, seem to be replacing those virtues with brute strength.

The swap — along with promoting point guard Dennis Schröder to a starting role after dealing away former All-Star Jeff Teague — has brought about some encouraging signs for the 8-2 Hawks, who probably needed a bit of a shake-up despite their relative success in recent years. Howard’s replacing Horford doesn’t necessarily make the Hawks more of a contender, but the move at least allows them to try a different look, both offensively and defensively, in hopes of finding a way forward.
    more at the link

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  12. Drogba

Drogba Member

He's 5th in FGA on the Hawks. How is it any different from last year?

DreamShook and Rocket River like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Grizz Mavs a high school score in the 2nd quarter

OOPS. wrong thread. sorry.

OBDH content: another double double from DH12 last night, 18 rebounds in the loss to Charlotte. not too shabby

#393 Os Trigonum, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

wait for it...the toxicity takes sometime to develop.

PS. That vicious elbow to Zeller in todays game against the Hornets is exactly why people dont like Dwight...

Drogba likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

His attempts are closer to 2014-15 when he was happy here

16. Major

Major Member

Being involved / appreciated / listened to is not about a number of FG attempts. He seems to need more TLC than other players, so its up to teams whether they feel that investment is worth the return.

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

He always starts off humble, saying the right things, just focused on rebounding, dunks and whatever but then the moment comes when this 3 point shooting or some other foolish example of his head being too big and things will start to crumble.

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The guy was injured most of the season. I remember all the articles that came out near his come back, how him, jet and Harden all had to discuss and let Harden know this was his team. I mean we were having a lot of success with Tarik Black and Joey Dorsey as our centers and Dmo at PF that I remember he did not want to be a disruption for once. Then it all went to **** again in 15-16.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Calvin Watkins said some interesting things on that TrueHoop ESPN podcast: He said Dwight was a vocal leader (Brewer, Jet being the two other ones) in the Rockets locker room, but went silent when things got tough. Apparently, the players resented him for that.

Atlanta flying high right now, but let's see what happens when they reach a rough patch. Last night's loss was a rough patch because it was a winnable game against a class east opponent. Dwight got frustrated because Cody Zeller was giving him the business. Dwight hit Zeller with an unnecessary dirty elbow, got ejected, and Atlanta lost as a direct result.

We've seen it when he was here in Houston. That "why did he do that?" Dwight moment.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Dwight called it "the ultimate sacrifice." when he said he was going to give up shots to DMO and Harden. Rockets got to the conference finals.