1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Turkish elections

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by geeimsobored, Jun 7, 2015.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Since Turkey's government since to come up quite frequently, I figured its worth noting that there was an election today.

The AKP (Erdogan's party) was hoping to increase their majority to 3/5 of parliament in order to pass through large constitutional reforms that would dramatically increase the constitutional powers of the president.

Instead, its looking like the AKP not only failed to increase their majority but it appears that they are actually going to lose it entirely and be forced to form a minority government. This means they'll have to form a coalition with another party which is a huge change from the 1 party government that they've enjoyed for years. Also the other 3 parties aren't Islamic parties (although one is a crazy right wing nationalist party). All other parties opposed the changes to the constitution so all of that stuff is dead now.

The big change is that the HDP (a leftist party with some association with the Kurds) will most likely break the 10% election threshold which robbed the AKP of a huge number of seats.

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I hope that this will actually come to fruition. I would not put anything past Erdogan - he might manipulate things to keep them out.

It seems to me that the Kurds are the only actual somewhat secular people out there.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Really, OP? Sure hope that happens. I'm not at all happy with Erdogan, his very obvious personal ambition, and his apparent desire to turn secular Turkey into something more along the lines of an "Islamic State." Fingers are crossed.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

WOW!! Geeimsobored was right on target. Erdogan's party (the AKP) lost their freakin' majority and the pro-Kurdish HDP, in alliance with progressives, crossed Turkey's "10% rule" and now has a block of votes in the Turkish parliament for the first time. This is huge!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33042284

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Great news. this is what should happen when you try to censor open communication.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Indeed. The ramifications are very important, and very positive, in my opinion. Another bit of good news on what has been a great day in the Deckard household.

7. geeimsobored

It seems as if all of the opposition parties have announced that they won't form a coalition with the AKP which then raises the possibility of the opposition forming a government without the AKP. Otherwise there might be new elections.

I suspect the 3 opposition parties will find a way to govern together purely out of spite. Erdogan is such a huge threat that they have to unite to pass legislation to protect themselves. The AKP poisoned the political environment so thoroughly that the other parties might actually work together

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Democracy in Turkey lives! Let's hope that continues.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, I'm pretty sure that the MHP will enter into a coalition with the AKP eventually (or tolerate a minority government formed by the AKP) - they are even more fascist than the AKP, if that is even possible.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

This looks like a dodged bullet that could have lead to an Islamic dictatorship in an important NATO member. The people of Turkey certainly could have reacted to the chaos on their border by acceding to a centralized power, that's sort of the typical path.

Given Erdogan's nature I really didn't have any hope that he wouldn't manipulate the election results. There is still plenty of political intrigue ahead and potential for civil strife but it looks like the kernel of democratic secularism is still alive in Turkey.

11. geeimsobored

The MHP probably won't join. In fact they came out today and said that they probably will not join any coalition since they have beef with the AKP and the kurds (HDP). An AKP minority government is likely but who knows how long it will last before the others vote for no confidence.

The other problem is that since Erdogan is president, he has a lot of say over the coalition exercise which might just push all 3 parties away from the AKP. Although all of this could change. I'm sure the AKP will push hard to get the MHP to form a government with them.

#11 geeimsobored, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015