1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Texans QB: Ryan Mallett or Brian Hoyer?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr. Dominant, Jun 15, 2015.

?

Ryan Mallett or Brian Hoyer?

Poll closed Sep 10, 2015.
  1. Ryan Mallett

88.8%
  2. Brian Hoyer

11.2%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fair. Either way though, it was a debate all year long because of how terrible Hoyer was at being a QB. It's hard to overstate just how bad Hoyer was last year. In Texans history, we've only had 3 QB performances that even approach Hoyer's level of futility, the first 2 years of David Carr (the rest of David Carr's seasons were better than Hoyer), and Schaub's last season. Every other QB performance (with a legit sample) in the history of the franchise was superior to Hoyer last season.

2. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Honestly, I just want Mallett to be our starter and Keenum to be our backup. I really don't see Hoyer taking us anywhere. At least with Mallett, we can witness something great (I hope).

3. Mr. Dominant

I feel like Keenum will be a Texan again... lulz.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Doubtful, the Rams actually traded something for him, he's probably making that team.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I read somewhere today that Hoyer is the favorite right now?

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Not sure if serious, or a feed the trolls type post...

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://player.hearstdigitalstudios.com/5586dd5d7765624cfc010000?" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#107 J.R., Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I still think Ryan Mallett will be the starter. I think these rumors that Hoyer is the favorite to be the starter and that Hoyer has been out playing Mallett is a wake up call for Mallett. I think in training camp we'll see a different Ryan Mallett I think he understands now that this is serious and he will compete harder. Which is why Bill O'brien hasn't decided yet who will be the starter, he did this to wake up Ryan Mallett and let him know that this serious that this is no joke he will make him the back up or trade him if he doesn't show up. I hope Mallett shows up, competes better and plays better and show us what he's got because I don't like Hoyer at all.

9. Mr. Dominant

Any updates? When will we find out? After or before preseason? Or?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Probably won't know till preseason. It'll be an interesting thing to watch on Hard Knocks

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

12. baubo

baubo Member

Not sure why people are dismissing Hoyer. He’s a crappy QB, but he’s the most accomplished QB of all our choices. And he’s familiar with BOB’s offense. I know fans don’t want to think our best QB is Brian Hoyer, but right now, he is our best QB unless Mallet shows some real growth from last season.

13. AFS

AFS Member

I think people are dismissing him because he's a known commodity. We know that he's serviceable, but don't think he's the guy that can lead our team to winning a Super Bowl. If he can't be that guy, what's even the point of putting him out there? Mallett and Savage probably aren't that guy either, but at least with them we aren't as positive. Since they aren't known commodities, we'd rather see them out there and figure out what we have.

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I was having a convo on the Texans' QB situation not long ago and was arguing for Mallett to start over Hoyer. The person I was talking to kept mentioning that Hoyer should start because he's more accurate and the Texans' offense is centered around having an accurate QB.

Now Hoyer may very well be more accurate than Mallett, IDK. But it drives me crazy when people say the Texans' or anyone else's offense is centered around QB accuracy. You don't say? In fact, name me one offense that involves a passing game and doesn't require an accurate QB for optimal results.

It's like saying that a Toyota's performance is centered around proper maintenance and engine care. Thanks for the info Captain Obvious... But your observation is not astute.

15. Major

Major Member

Of course any accurate QB is going to get better results than a similar non-accurate QB. But some offenses are going to benefit more from - or require - accuracy as opposed to a smart QB as opposed to a scrambling QB. Others will benefit relatively more from the latter options.

If your offense is deception-based (a lot of bootlegs/misdirection/play-action/pumpfakes/etc), then it's built more on getting receivers wide open and can work without quite as accurate a QB. Still is better to have that accuracy, but a less-accurate QB can still do OK.

If you're doing lots of quick passes with limited reads / decision making on the part of the QB, athleticism is less important while accuracy is absolutely critical because you'e throwing into narrow windows.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm holding out hope that the grand plan is to build a team around a QB...then find a good QB to insert.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because they've seen him play and he's just awful.

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Too bad the Op didn't include a "Neither" choice on his survey because I'm afraid that as far as QB play goes:

[​IMG]

19. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'm tired of having a QB with one foot in the past. Go Mallett or bust.

20. mick fry

mick fry Member

The Mallett will be the starter announcement will be made soon.