1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Texans Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I would now expect a high draft pick at CB to be off the list as well. Unless they cut Jjo, They're obviously going somewhere else with that pick. Let's hope Jjo restructures and takes a couple year extension.

2. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

After resigning Newton and Jackson, I don't believe they would pick a OL or CB in the 1st round. It will be very interesting if they end up also signing a top WR FA or if they would draft one in the 1st round...

3. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Or now they can also look at trading down and possibly picking up Phillip Dorsett if they can't get their slot receiver via FA.

4. conquistador#11

if cooper is available, i won't believe it til i see it, that's where you have to go

1st pick in the draft(cornbread style)-cooper
    2nd rd.- MLb
    3rd-oLb
    4th-Center
    5th-Dt
    6th-TE
    7th-Cb
    we pick up some undrafted free agents, who turn out to be pro bowlers along with our 1st and 2nd round picks. our 3rd round pick starts a cocaine empire gets busted never plays a down. Our 4th rounder eats himself out of the league.

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

I'd be nothing short of amazed to see copper drop to us but if he did its a no brainer... Not only does he have all the tools he has the mental make up of a seasoned pro, he's all business. Having nuk and cooper would be salivating even if neither has burner speed.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I want Dorial Green-Beckham out of all the receivers. I just like his size and play making ability.

Having said that, just because we may have both Kareem and JJo on the roster doesnt mean we shouldnt draft a CB in the first. You dont wait until you need a player to take a player...that's when you get into trouble because the player needs time to develop.

I still say take a CB in the first round if the right player is there. JJo's contract comes off the books for 2016. I'd much rather have a 2nd year player taking over that spot than draft a rookie and having more of a question mark there. What makes teams successful is the fact that are able to plan for the future, rather than immediate need. Plus, you can never have too much help in the secondary, specially with today's NFL.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I certainly think that's a possibility considering most 1st year CB's struggle. I think they'll nab a CB somewhere in the first 3 rounds in hopes that he will eventually replace JJ in 2016.

8. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but here we go.

I'd be willing to package 1st rounder this year, 1st rounder in 2016, and 2nd rounder this year for the #6 pick with the Jets to get Mariota.

I would then resign Mallet. Battle for the starting spot with Mallet likely winning it. Let Mariota sit and watch a year and we have a starting QB for years to come.

I honestly believe either Mallet or Mariota can deliver us to the playoffs.

With the rest of the pics, I draft O-line, Linebackers, and DBs

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If I had faith in Mariota, I'd 100% do that. I just think Mariota will be a back up in the NFL within 3-5 years.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Mallett is only 26... and you're going to trade valuable picks for a younger QB-in-waiting, when you have all confidence that the "older" QB can make this a playoff team?

In that case, why not just keep the picks AND the older QB, and since he's still pretty young you still have a QB for "years" to come.

Reminds me a lot of what the Chargers did when they had Brees but drafted Rivers... and even with the age discrepancy, Brees has performed better and Rivers doesn't have "that" much more of a career left in comparison to Brees.

11. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I just don't think Mallet is the future. Mallet will get us to the playoffs but not the super bowl. I'm personally impressed with Mariota to where he can lead us there. I'd like Mariota to sit for a bit to get a hold of how to run a pro-style system.

I agree Mallet is younger, but I just don't see him as the future. I hope I am wrong since Mariota is a pipedream

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think we surprise and go RB.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Running back is the absolute dumbest position to take in the 1st round under any circumstance

14. conquistador#11

i see your RB and will raise you a long snapper with the 1st pick. jon weeks is about to hit 30.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I think Morris can be a starter in the league and don't think we need to go corner in the first unless a stud is there. WR, tight end, ILB, safety are all needs at the moment. Should draft BPA in every round for the most part.

16. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Agree with all of this, and I'd add NT and OLB to the mix as well. There don't seem to be many stud free safeties in the first round, so resigning Lewis will be important. And WR is a deep position again this year, so picking one in the second round (unless one of the big 3 falls) could suffice. So:

QB - resign Mallet, bring in Hoyer
    WR - 2nd round pick
    TE - mid-round pick, cheap free agent
    ILB - 1st or 3rd round pick, or else spend some money on someone like Rolando McClain
    NT - free agent, mid-round pick, hope Nix figures things out
    OLB - 1st or 3rd round pick for Clowney insurance and to replace Mercilus next year, and also for depth
    S - Resign Lewis, cheap SS free agent if they don't believe in Swearinger

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm not going to get excited about a young CB with limited playing time (and I'm a Texas State alum who'd love to see Morris succeed). I still remember Fred Bennett who looked really good for maybe a year or two and then just fell off the face of the earth.

18. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Lewis is a FS. You want your SS to be more LB built with the size of TE's and WR's in todays game. Got to be a lot stronger up the middle. I would definitely invite Lewis back as he was pretty good for us at FS last year. SS however needs a major re-work. Swearinger is only a down hill SS and Manning is completely done. Neither can cover a WR or TE.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cooper dream lasting all of a day. :p

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Don't think it's too early to say <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Raiders?src=hash">#Raiders</a> need to take Cooper or White at No. 4</p>&mdash; Bill Williamson (@BWilliamsonESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/BWilliamsonESPN/status/574733197851820033">March 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>With Cobb off board and Maclin to Chiefs, that Raiders No. 4 draft pick looking more and more like Amari Cooper or Kevin White . . .</p>&mdash; Jerry McDonald (@Jerrymcd) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jerrymcd/status/574736747122200576">March 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

With KJax, Newton, Mallett, and Hoyer on board, I get the feeling we'll see a pick for the front 7.

OLB - With Reed likely gone, that leaves Mercilus and Clowney manning the outside. Crazy that both are 1st rounders (including #1 overall) and that we still may need to pick another one up. Quite a few OLB with first round talent this year so won't be too surprised if go that route if Texans are worried about Clowney or for depth at a minimum.

Bud Dupree, Vic Beasley, Randy Gregory, and Shane Ray could all very well be 1st rounders.

DT - Really hoping we can bring back Pickett but with only Nix currently on the roster, I would actually make DT a priority pick. A lot of good talent at DT this year but only 2 true NTs worth mentioning in the 1st. I really like Malcolm Brown but probably a better fit in a 4-3.

Danny Shelton and Jordan Phillips are the NTs likely to go in the 1st, unfortunately Shelton will be long gone and I'd rather trade back for Phillips.

Obviously WR is a huge need but don't see us taking one in the 1st unless one of Cooper, White, or Parker falls to us (which I doubt).