1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Random Astros Trade Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, May 2, 2015.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I wish the Yankees were sellers and we could get Chris Young.

Guy turns into Babe Ruth when he plays in Minute Maid.

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

In a pennant race, if we can get a guy like Johnson from Atlanta while giving up a prospect or two that we would have to expose to Rule V anyway, that would be better than taking a chance on Appel. And while I do think VV has the stuff to do well down there, the main reason he is moved there is to limit innings. No matter how well he does there, he isn't going to be a guy that would be called on regularly.

I would love to see a Chapman/Kimbrel deal like most others. But I wouldn't rule out a "depth" type of prospect for a bullpen arm that upgrades any of the spots there.

3. The Beard

I don't think it's totally out of the question, in fact I think it is a lot more likely than most on here think.

We all want a bat. We would all love a 1B. Most of us would love a big upgrade at Catcher. . . . . .But if there are more Starting Pitching arms on the market (as it seems) and not many bats on the market, and the price on those rental arms are driven down because of it. . . . .I definitely could see us going after a Samardzija or another starter. I know Luhnow would also "prefer" a bat, but he just strikes me as a guy who is going to deal for "talent" and "value" more than "need"

4. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Haren

5. The Beard

Maybe, but I doubt Luhnow is looking to downgrade the rotation

He would be an upgrade over Hernandez as the long man I suppose

6. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

nahhhhhh, better than Feldman, and we can move VV to the bullpen, an area we need help.

Now, we still need another left handed reliever

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Your assumption is that the saturation of SPs on the market will drive their prices down. That's probably true.

But I don't think they'll get driven down to the point that the best 3 are super cheap. I think you could get a Haren-type as a bargain, but I agree that he doesn't make any sense at this point. The top guys will still cost more than they're worth to our team as currently constructed

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">MLBNetwork talking about Price to Astros still.. MAN talk about a possible killer rotation</p>&mdash; Astros Talk (@AstrosOptimism) <a href="https://twitter.com/AstrosOptimism/status/624591115681861632">July 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Nook

Nook Member

More observations....

Someone like Chapman or Kimbrel are unlikely. Chapman will cost legitimate prospects, and only has one year on his deal and will cost $12,000,000 next season. Those are three strikes. Hard to sell. As for Kimbrel, his deal is only $10,000,000 a season and his deal has a few options on it. His contract and situation is more palatable but I am not sure that the Astros desire to give up top prospects and pay a high salary for a closer. Someone like Jim Johnson from Atlanta makes more sense to me. He will cost less in prospects and he doesn't eat up the budget in the future.

As far as Davis from Baltimore, he is too similar to what we already have. Luhnow made a comment that we didn't need another high power/low contact bat in the lineup. He isn't as good as someone like Jay Bruce, where you can tolerate the low OBP and high strike outs.

I do think that Andrew Cashner is possible. The Padres really want to move him, and if his prospect price is not a top 10 prospect, but 3-4 guys further down, I could see the Astros pounce. He would be under contract at reasonable cost next year and would make the prospect of Kasmir leaving easier to swallow.

I do think that Adam Lind is an excellent fit. The Brewers are not going to expect an elite prospect in return and he is under contract next year for $8,000,000. That would allow the Astros to slide A.J. Reed into first in 2017.

Gerardo Parra is also a nice fit. He is a rental player and shouldn't cost a fortune in prospects. He gets a lot of doubles and has enough pop. He is a solid field historically and puts the ball in play. He could slide in anywhere in the line up.

10. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I dont think we need Parra, as we have Tucker and Rasmus.
    Now, i do like Lind, he would be a great addition to our lineup.

Singleton for Lind and Blazek?????

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'd be totally fine trading:

1) Kemp - has too many people blocking him, and quality below him (Bregman at 2B, Phillips in CF)

2) Santana - sell high

3) Derek Fisher - some blockers

The prospects I want to keep are AJ Reed, Brett Phillips and Mark Appel (still have hope)

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jeff Luhnow <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> we are having conversations for all of the following 3: 1. another bat to replace springer 2. bullpen arm and 3. starter</p>&mdash; Jim Bowden (@JimBowden_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/JimBowden_ESPN/status/624696729766600708">July 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jeff Luhnow <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> said he’s been on the phone all day continuing trying to improve…they are not done <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLBTradeDeadline?src=hash">#MLBTradeDeadline</a></p>&mdash; Jim Bowden (@JimBowden_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/JimBowden_ESPN/status/624696164395425792">July 24, 2015</a></blockquote>

13. The Beard

Yea, maybe

Our system is deep, if we want another rental we could easily go get one

Easily

14. The Beard

Sorry man I know you like Jon

But no way they do that. Jon doesn't have a big contract or anything, but he does have one for decent money so it's not like they would be trading for a minor league minimum guy...Jon ain't bringing much back

15. conquistador#11

jeff lunhow is becoming my favorite GM. If he could do more fan interviews on the webs, he would surpass morley on my list.:p

16. Buck Turgidson

and Jared Cosart to be the 5th starter!

Maybe we can give Will Harris back in exchange for a catcher? What would Boston give us for Fields? ****, McHugh's gotta be worth something, right?

Oh, and Marwin too.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> scouting Hamels tomorrow at Wrigley. Staying on periphery, knowing that not many teams can offer what <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Phillies?src=hash">#Phillies</a> want.</p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/624795374251835392">July 25, 2015</a></blockquote>

#737 J.R., Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

My god. I'd think that it would be for Papelbon but Rosenthal knows his stuff.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

oh my.

20. The Beard

That would awesome!

And this is exactly what I would expect Luhnow to do. He isn't the type to just pay whatever to fill a perceived "need"

He is going to look at value transactions and jump on them

Keuchel, McCullers, Hamels, Kazmir, McHugh

Not sure what team would want to face that in the playoffs