1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

2015 Random Astros Trade Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, May 2, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rangers beat so TIFWIW

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rangers?src=hash">#Rangers</a> very much in midst of talks with Philadelphia re: Hamels. ... But, so is Houston. <a href="http://t.co/ilBlJYHkZk">http://t.co/ilBlJYHkZk</a></p>&mdash; Evan Grant (@Evan_P_Grant) <a href="https://twitter.com/Evan_P_Grant/status/623580019734900736">July 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

At this point, I'm totally cool with forcing the Rangers to overpay for Hamels.

1 person likes this.
  3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Even if we do not make any major acquisitions, I am just ecstatic that we are even talking about the possibility. If we see meaningful baseball in the month of September, this team will have met my goal for the season.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

It was--Zobrist wasn't much when we let him go

5. kaleidosky

We don't need to trade for Lowrie when we already have him..

6. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, criticizing that is revisionist b.s. at its finest.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Astros want a bat &quot;that would not add to the feast or famine type of offense that we've exhibited so far,&quot; Luhnow said.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/623602830767591424">July 21, 2015</a></blockquote>

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea, except I said Martin Prado, not Lowrie

Look I like Lowrie and can't wait to get him back. He gives quality at bats even though his history says he obviously won't produce to the level he did early in the season before he got injured.

As a platoon guy to face LHP, there really is no comparison between Lowrie and Prado

Prado vs LHP
    2015, .297 with a .781 OPS
    2014, .366 with a .978 OPS
    2013, .291 with a .852 OPS
    2012, .323 with a .863 OPS

Lowrie
    2015 only 19 at bats vs LHP before he got hurt
    2014, .228 with a .598 OPS
    2013, .305 with a .772 OPS
    2012, .184 with a .623 OPS

Again, I like Lowrie and want him back. But to say they are the same guy vs LHP, it just isn't the case

9. awc713

awc713 Member

Yonder Alonso might be the piece that makes the most sense from a cost and need stand-point.

10. kaleidosky

That's fair. Looking at BABIP and noting that samples aren't huge vs LHP, it seems like Prado's expected output vs LHP is in the 2013 range (if he's still that guy post-injury). And yes, still better than Lowrie. But is it worth dealing for Prado and figuring out what to do with Lowrie? (Trade? Cut? Non-playing bench?)

Personally, I'd rather swallow that difference, go with Lowrie, and use whatever prospects you'd consider in a Prado deal to go after a bigger OF/1B bat and/or SP, or even a RP before making a Lowrie-->Prado mild upgrade.

11. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I agree. Acquire a bat that "feasts" only, please.

12. The Beard

Yea I certainly wouldn't give up a major prospect for Prado, but with our depth and the fact that we will lose some guys to rule V and so forth if we don't do something, i'd certainly see what it would take to get him. There is also the fact that we all think that Lowrie would be fine defensively at 3B, but we know Prado will be Lowrie has never really done it

I also think there could easily be a place for both of them on the team. We still don't have the answer at 1B and Lowrie could play into that also. As for using the prospects we would give up for Prado in a bigger deal, I agree I would rather have a top 1B, but there really doesn't seem to be any of those available. And if it took a prospect in a deal for Prado that would be needed in a deal for an Ace or major bat, then i'd agree to pass.

I just think he is a guy who would fit in really well, Miami seems to be thinking about selling, and it would be worth checking in to see if one or two of our "depth" type of prospects would get it done. That's all i'm sayin

13. kaleidosky

Lowrie has played 50+ games at 3B. Not a ton, but he's done it and has been fine. Luhnow has planned to play him at 3B since before the season and has acknowledged it now. I think we should all safely assumed he can do it, and do just fine at it.

As for getting Prado and then shifting Lowrie to 1B...that means we're filling the Carter (or Singleton) hole, assuming one of them is gone, with Lowrie? As you already exhibited, Lowrie's OPS isn't spectacular. While I'm ok using him as a stopgap at 1B, I don't think it's smart to make a trade for additional "offense" just to plop Lowrie at 1B. If you're going out and getting offense because Lowrie's isn't good enough, then you can't use him at a "more offensive" position like 1B and say we're good.

Totally understand what you're saying and why you bring it up. I just don't think it makes sense for this team as it's currently constructed given the holes and given where we have depth (i.e. Lowrie). Without him, or if Valbuena were to go down even, I'd be all for it. Or, I suppose, if all options at 1B who are better than Prado are unavailable or too expensive...then yes, go for it.

14. The Beard

Yea i'm just saying that if Prado could be had for one or two of the type of prospects we would risk losing in rule V (and Miami likely wouldn't have to risk them), then it would be good.

If it took the type of prospects that we would have to move in bigger deals, then i'd be completely opposed to that myself.

I like Marwin ok, but if it was an easy deal to make and only cost us guys we risk losing anyway, and it meant Prado platooned at 3B and Lowrie got Marwins role, then it would be worth it. Improve wherever you can.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Heyman:

16. Buck Turgidson

For the millionth ****ing time in the last 2 months, Heyman, you hack:

Hamels DOES NOT have a "no-trade list".

17. The Beard

It's hard to know what is truth and what is not when it comes to "quotes" from people

But if he really, seriously doesn't want to be here, then I don't want him here

I've been one that has said Hamels before any other because he is signed and wouldn't be a rental

But if he doesn't want to be here and would only come here as a last resort, i'd rather go after Price hard

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Luhnow on looking for offense: &quot;The high strikeout, high home run is probably not the ideal fit for our lineup.&quot;</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/623626349782044672">July 21, 2015</a></blockquote>

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

i'd rather have price + increased chance of signing price over hamels regardless.

20. The Beard

I would agree, if there was any evidence that trading for them gives you an increased chance of signing them. I have no numbers to back this up, but it certainly seems like a very high percentage of trade deadline rentals go elsewhere?