1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Random Astros Trade Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, May 2, 2015.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If we could get him for a mid level prospect I would be all over that. If we could get a front line guy obviously that would be great, but that's not likely and a guy like Lohse could solid up our rotation pretty well

2. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

Rasmussen, Valbuena, and Margo all suck against left handed pitching. I'd love a minor move to bring in a bench guy for platooning. We need to upgrade over Grossman and Villar.

3. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

*Rasmus

4. awc713

awc713 Member

Hamels has been struggling big time. 4.14 ERA, 5.43 FIP. You are out of your mind if you think we are parting with either Correa or Appel for a 31 year-old pitcher who's logged nearly 2000 IP.

I don't think Appel is off the table by any means, but not for a player like Hamels. Correa, on the other hand, is virtually untouchable.

Luhnow did say on the broadcast that he wanted to solidify the 4/5 slot. I think a trade with the Brewers for Garza or Lohse is more likely. If the A's continue to struggle, they have some nice pieces in their rotation, and they've traded with us in the past.

5. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

When you factor in keeping players on affordable deals, and consider the fact that Correa's is less risky than nearly any other MILB prospect right now, then it stands to reason that Correa (and his cost-controlled contract) are one of the most valuable assets in baseball right now. You can probably count players more valuable than him on one hand.

6. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't think Springer's on the untouchable list; the "not likely" list, sure - but Luhnow has shown absolutely zero regard for the previous regime's building blocks. If a team made a legitimate offer... I don't think Springer would be a dealbreaker.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Villar is my new anti poster boy. The faster, the better, we replace his playing time.

9. Dankush

Dankush Member

Springer has been a gold glove right fielder, top tier baserunner, drawing lots of walks. I don't think you can trade someone like him. He has already shown what he is capable of offensively and now he is showing top tier defense and speed. Trading him for anyone when you can just trade prospects is a huge mistake.

You can easily do

Appel
    Santana or Teoscar
    Feliz
    Moran
    any pick of a player not named Altuve, Springer, Keuchel, McHugh or a reliever we need on the ml roster.

for pretty much anybody I think. Looking at it it seems like a lot but to me it's less because in my heart I feel those 5 guys are like 90% to bust. But others may feel different so we probably need even less for any pitcher we want.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

One of the keys to this hot start has been speed, power, and stellar defense... you don't trade players that provide all three of those unless you have a suitable replacement, or you build your team another way.

I agree that he doesn't think all that highly of the Ed Wade/Bobby Heck era.... but then again, he was pretty high on Singleton (who was acquired by Wade twice), he's hung on to Dallas, and obviously wanted to lock up Altuve fairly quickly (before he busted out).... so he's not automatically locked into a bias against those players (just the ones that are either trouble-makers or mostly flawed).

11. Hey Now!

Oh, I have no doubt they value Springer, and I'd put the chances of him being traded at as close to 0% as humanly possible. I'm only suggesting that if a team made an interesting offer... I think they'd at least listen/entertain it. I think they'd do the same for Altuve, too. Correa, otoh... I think mention of his name prompts a quick disconnection.

12. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Short of involving trout or king Felix in a trade, I honestly don't see that happening. All three are young with superstar potential-- altuve already is and springer has shown glimpses.

13. Hey Now!

I love George Springer - but he's not untouchable to all but the 2 or 3 very best players in baseball.

If, this past winter, the A's offered Josh Donaldson for Springer, for instance - I think that's a deal the Astros would consider. Brantley, Goldschmidt, Myers... Or, if, let's say, the Astros had won 79-80 games last year and they felt they were on the cusp - if the M's offered Cruz for Springer, that's a deal they might consider, too.

I don't think they'd deal Correa for any of those guys. I honestly don't know if there's a deal they'd make for Correa.

I think there are literally two players they'd listen to for Correa - Trout and Kershaw; that's probably it. Not only are they in love with his talent - but he was Luhnow's first-ever pick as GM, and I guarantee you he wants to build his team around his guy.

14. Dankush

Dankush Member

If you would trade Springer for Cruz you are probably dumb

15. Hey Now!

Depends on the context; if you're on the cusp of being a playoff contender... he's a fairly significant offensive upgrade - at least over the next 2-3 years. You'd be selling your future short but that's what "win now" nets you.

I don't think they'd do it; I'm just saying I think they would *consider* it. I don't think the Astros are so high on Springer that they'd place him on the untouchable list. Again, I heard first-hand from the GM that he potentially had a Preston Wilson ceiling due to all the Ks.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If the Astros wanted Nelson Cruz, they would have paid him this offseason and he would be an Astro.

Springer is basically untouchable right now.

17. Hey Now!

I created a hypothetical scenario in order to illustrate a sitaution where the Astros might listen to an offer that involves Springer - you win 77, 78 games and a player like Nelson Cruz is offered, the Astros would at least think about it if they believe Cruz could get them over the hump.

Agree to disagree. As I initially said, it's highly unlikely. But I don't think the Astros have as much faith/investment in Springer as they do Correa, who I think is truly untouchable.

18. Buck Turgidson

I would like to trade Sam Deduno for Brett Oberholzer

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's assuming Springer isn't a large part of the reason they won 77 or 78 games. You might trade a top prospect for Cruz if you think he'd put you over the hump, but it's extremely unlikely you'd trade a young and productive MLB player who is contributing to those wins.

20. Hey Now!

You're right (and I thought about that as I was constructing the scenario) - I don't want to travel too far down this path. I don't think they want to trade him; I don't think they're going to trade him.

But I wouldn't label him untouchable. I don't believe (as someone suggested) that only Trout or Hernandez would get Luhnow's attention. Luhnow has shown no hesitation to move on from the Wade/Heck regime; he told me they had at least one model where Springer's ceiling was Preston Wilson (they really were/are concerned about his strikeouts); and they didn't talk about Springer as he was moving through the system with the same awe they do Correa.

We're probably needlessly splittting hairs for no reason. But I don't think Correa and Springer are held in the same regard by this organization. I think you could - with the right offer - pry Springer away. I honestly don't think there's an offer anyone could realistically make that would get them to move Correa.