1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Offseason Priority List

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by astros123, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The AL West is wide open right now. We know that the Rangers will have a full season of Darvish and Hammels, but they also are losing Gallardo most likely. There have been some discussion that they could add another solid piece or two.

The Angels already made a major upgrade at SS and they are being linked to a number of high end free agents like Heyward, Cespedes and Gordon. I would not put it past them to add another $100,000,000 player to their club.

The Astros have money to spend and prospects to move, they have a lot of flexibility. Having said that, I am not upset the Astros passed on Kimbrel and Chapman looking at the cost associated. Same with Miller, the Yankees are asking for McCullers. That cost is absurd. The Astros would be better off getting someone like Storen to close and resign Sipp and/or make a deal for Jake McGee or Brad Boxberger.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It has been said if the Astros don't sign Sipp then all is lost. He must be signed.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Lowrie lost his spot to Correa, Valbuena, and Gonzalez so shouldn't expect his lose to hurt at all. Carter and Kazmir...internal options will likely easily fill in for their lost of 2015 production which was much less than expected. Sipp is only tough replacement. I've said they need to replace him.

Sipp and Harris had great years that will likely regress. Carter and Gattis had horrible years that are likely to regress. Gattis and whoever plays first are likely to replace Gattis and Carter 2015 production as well as drop off in Harris and Sipp's replacement.

That said, if you understand that Sipp and Harris are likely to regress, you also know that play sequencing regresses as well. Astros had horrible sequencing luck and Rangers had great sequencing last year per Fangraphs BaseRuns. Odds are minimal to none that Astros have another -11 runs (2nd worst) from sequencing and Rangers have another +7 runs in sequencing.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Are they really "minimal to none"???

Harris was available to anybody when we got him. Same with Sipp. Both exceeded expectations and then some... and now its apparently impossible to replace the guys that nobody had expectations for to begin with?

I'm not saying they should guarantee equal to greater production with internal replacements... just saying that given where we got those guys to begin with, its not an area that is all that scarce in baseball.

Hell, just looking at Astros history alone, I can list several guys off the top of my head who weren't thought of as quality to elite bullpen arms when first acquired or put in that role... who went on to excel. I don't think the Astros are some unique baseball haven in that regard.

Likewise, given a semi-deep farm system.... with some guys who aren't going to make the rotation barring injury... I'd say there's a great opportunity to throw some live/young arms into the mix and see what sticks.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I know we've butted heads a few times, but agree with this. I'd rather slap Appel, Martes, or Feliz in pen for a season than trade them for a closer. Appel and Feliz may end up as back end relievers anyway if they can't get a changeup.

6. Marteen

Marteen Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hearing talks between Phillies and Astros on Ken Giles are heating up.</p>&mdash; Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/JSalisburyCSN/status/674685361168216064">December 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Nook

Nook Member

Ken Giles would be a long term solution..... 5 years of control.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I agree--have liked him for a while. Has anyone seen rumors on what it would take for him from any team? I would expect it to be similar to 1 year of proven stud closer Chapman..?

From us, maybe Appel as the key + Singleton or something along those lines? Or is that not even close? Hard to gauge the market on a still unproven closer-type. Carson Smith cost peanuts, relatively..

9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Would probably take Velasquez + one more significant piece.

10. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

VV plus another prospect could get it done.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I haven't heard any specific players mentioned but if I had to guess it wouldn't be Appel but several of the Velasquez, Feliz type players. He hasn't closed long term but he did after the trade deadline last year. He has elite stuff. I posted on here before the deadline on this board that the Astros wanted Giles and tried to deal for him but Phillies wanted to hold onto him.

12. Buck Turgidson

When the Giles/Astros rumor first surfaced a week or so ago, the 2 players mentioned as being floated by the Phils were Velasquez and McCullers.

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

Can't see the Astros including McCullers in a deal for a closer.

14. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Phillies media session pushed back. Sign of something coming? Sources say talks w Astros on Giles are hot</p>&mdash; Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/JSalisburyCSN/status/674693596604428288">December 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

15. Marteen

Marteen Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hearing the same. One name who won't be in any deal is Lance McCullers. Astros seem dug in on not moving him. <a href="https://t.co/yXhx2Ja9rP">https://t.co/yXhx2Ja9rP</a></p>&mdash; Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/674694161531052033">December 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

16. Nook

Nook Member

Phillies want a larger return than Kimbrel because of him being under control for 5 years. That is a lot of control.

17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Phils and Astros have been talking about Giles all week. Sources said talks have indeed ratcheted up, but unclear if anything is imminent.</p>&mdash; Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) <a href="https://twitter.com/ToddZolecki/status/674696167888941057">December 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Asked one team that's been in on Ken Giles what the Phillies want back. He said: &quot;Pitching. And more pitching.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/674698241745756160">December 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    Velasquez and Feliz would seem to fit the profile.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Can't be imminent... hence why its being leaked!

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why can't the Astros discover their own Giles within their deep system?