1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2015 NBA Draft/1-18] Sam Dekker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 25, 2015.

?

Do you like the pick?

1. YES

539 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. NO

155 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I already knew he was a certified bust and scrub. But now he is turning into a bigger D Bag than Parsons

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

that was horrible

3. dmoneybangbang

Lol at the haters...

4. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Daryl blew it again.

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

How so? It's obvious potential is worth more than actual ability in Morey's view

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

damn man. go get laid or something. maybe look into some counseling. you are negative/pissed about everything.

7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

When you're picking outside the lottery that's EXACTLY what you should do. Guys who you KNOW are going to contribute and be good get picked fast. Players like Dejuan Blair, Carl Landry, Montrezl Harrell are all the same. They are NBA ready, but you can see exactly where they all will be. NBA ready contributors, good for a spot start and coming off the bench, but that's about it. I'll take a Clint Capela type that needs to grow ALL-DAY over a guy who is usable now.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He should have gotten burn when guys like Brewer were wreckless or not trying. Is there any evidence that he couldn't cut it?

9. chandlerbang21

Get him back to Dleague instead of traveling with the team

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Why not just trade him for an expiring? They cut that person and resign Pap.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Houston Haters... geezus sometimes I don't want to rep this city. Such a loud fussy bunch we all are. The other poster was right. Some folks here need to get laid bad.

Dekker was considered one of the more NBA ready players in the draft. What makes him NOT NBA ready? The fact that he's hurt? That makes zero to little sense.

Sure Morey could have drafted Portis.... So could have TWENTY other teams along with Houston. Every year there is a player that teams .... ALL TEAMS miss on that sneaks to the late first or early second. We are idiots if we crucify our GM every time that happens ESPECIALLY when the player we do draft earlier (Marcus Morris, Pat Patterson, Motiejunas etc.) typically becomes a DECENT to GOOD NBA player. Yes he drafted Royce White. That's the only 1st rounder I can think of that isn't at least performing up the or exceeding the value of where he was drafted. I don't think you people realize how LUCKY you are to even get a rotation player between 14 and 30. The fact that Morey is essentially 7 and 2 (Dorsey & White being the 2 main minus') since 2007 in this range (before drafting Dekker) is pretty damn good. You'd take those numbers any day, and this is excluding his impeccable 2nd round selections which is more of a crap-shoot.

Dekker is much more likely to be a Patrick Patterson than a Royce White. Let's lay off for a second, chill the F out, and see how Dekker is when he actually plays on the freaking court when healthy. I think he will be a fine NBA player. You are talking a big decent athlete at 6'9" who can handle, distribute, create offense, rebound, okay defender, and has shown flashes of being a decent shooter in sometime (lit it up in the tourney). What the hell is not to like other than the fact that he's not healthy, and when he was still playing prior to the surgery didn't IMMEDIATELY beat out veterans like Ariza & Brewer for minutes?

#591 dobro1229, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No, it's not obvious.

DM has made a number of varying picks with varying degrees of seeming "readiness". In fact, for a while there, he was way too keen seemingly on drafting seniors or older college players that were more clearly NBA ready, but also had more clear limited upside.

On the whole, I doubt DM would say he judges potential over readiness at all in his draft process. I suspect he make draft picks based on who he thinks will be the best NBA player. That seems the logical way to go...

Moreover, as noted by others, Dekker was more of a NBA ready guy than an upside guy.

13. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Any timeframe on when Dekker will be back wearing something other than a suit?

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yes

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sam Dekker said he hopes to be cleared for full practices around the all star break</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/686629319121096704">January 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Jonathan Feigen reported today that he's still " A Ways Away". Sounds like he's just starting shooting and non-contact drills. You can guess that he will have to ramp up more and more every couple weeks. So guesstimate would be 4 to 6 weeks I'd think as long as there aren't setbacks. I think we will see him this season for sure, but he'll probably have to start slow in the D-League so we don't have a setback like D-Mo just had.

16. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Cheers. Not the ideal start I'm sure he was hoping for in his NBA career - or us as fans. Hope he can make a contribution and put any doubters to rest.

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You're responding to one of the least knowledgeable fans on this site.

Don't worry about it. He won't get it. People nowadays have no reservation in spouting obvious nonsense that defies any sort of common sense as long as it fits their agenda.

18. Ns575

Ns575 Member

I could be wrong, but wasn't he drafted already semi-hurt?

And before you go flaming the 'bust' word around everywhere, lets watch him play for one season ffs. Yes, I'm angry we took Dekker over Grant and Portis but whatever in morey we trust yada yada tired of this bs

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, a lot of ppl wanted Grant. As an ND fan, I was intrigued, too, after his tourny. But, have you seen him play. Looks lost out there. Knicks have scaled back his minutes quite a lot, with DNPs, too.

He might not be that pick we had hoped for. And he's 23yrs old.

20. Ns575

Ns575 Member

I do full heartedly believe that KJ will be getting more minutes aswell after these moves are made. He's an intriguing young man