1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015: Clowney

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, May 8, 2015.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

so it turns out Clowney (rather than Covington/Still) was the answer opposite Watt at DE

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think that's a long term solution though. I think they were just exploiting a mismatch. When Watt is back being Watt, I think Clowney takes his snaps outside again.

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This. 260 isn't going to cut it inside in a 3-4. They are going to need either Heath or Covington to show up and prove themselves as capable early down run stoppers (I already know Still can't do it).

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think moving these guys all around is what will make it difficult for opposing teams to prepare for us. I don't think Clowney will be just DE moving forward...theyll put him on the outside opposite Watt... Or on the same side as Watt, or any other number of variations with Merci. Just need to keep confusing the offense by showing different formations and sets.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jadeveon Clowney is a freak. <a href="https://twitter.com/battleredblog">@battleredblog</a> <a href="https://t.co/JeKgVdCZKv">pic.twitter.com/JeKgVdCZKv</a></p>&mdash; Jonathan Kinsley (@Brickwallblitz) <a href="https://twitter.com/Brickwallblitz/status/775371523909705728">September 12, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Watching Clowney pursue plays going to the opposite side is awesome. He's like a lion chasing down a zebra.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That guy's tweets were about the front 7 were great. Excited about this defense, and the revamped offense to boot.

Can't wait till Sunday, I'll be there for the first time in almost a decade.....8years of watching them on the couch.

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Glad both the coaches and Clowney are trying whatever it takes for him to succeed, but he's a 4-3 end playing in a 3-4.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not so much his personal success, but the team's success. Clowney is creating for others more than he's getting for himself.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's gonna be sick when Watt is 100%.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"Can't block everyone" is what we've been saying for a while, when Watt gets back 100% that'll finally be true.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Was that a left tackle on him?

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Clowney keeping 2 300 pound linemen occupied is just a sight to see...the dude is straight up freaky... Really wish him the best when it comes to health. He really is a special athlete. He really did a great job as the DE yesterday.

One play that the entire Dline did a great job at was...2nd and 11 in the 3rd quarter (11:42 mark) ..Vince Wilfork almost intercepted that pass...Wilfork...But if was all set up by the pressure and Clowney being in the backfield...
    If someone can upload that play.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Ironically, I expect that from a #11 overall pick than from a #1 overall pick. I know players sometimes outplay or underachieve their draft status, but I kinda wanted more from a #1 overall than a table setter for others.

Not that I'm disappointed in Clowney himself at this point of his career, he isn't a half stepper like what Mario Williams was.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps you don't realize how difficult that is or how valuable that is......The Texans don't get 13 QB hits without what Clowney brought. Mercilus doesn't get single coverage all day long giving him the opportunities to shine if not for the attention Clowney gets.

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Perhaps you missed my point, which is I don't think O'brien and Rick Smith were discussing amongst to each other back in 2014 "Man JD can be a great table setter for our D, let's nab him #1 overall!"

Again kudos to the coaches and JD for trying their best to make this work, and what's best for the team yada yada, but don't think that's what JD was originally drafted for.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think they were probably thinking "Man JD can really make our defense work and put an incredible amount of pressure on the QB, let's nab him #1 overall!"

I mean, you do remember how we couldn't get pressure with just JJ Watt right?

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He wasn't drafted to set tables, he was drafted for his big hands

19. conquistador#11

he's not playing the ty warren role. It's like a more freakishly athletic richard seymour. unlike seymour though, Clowney can stand up and bring da rakus depending on match up on every defensive play. The only thing that can stop clowney is the turf monster.

In that draft, it was definitely worth the no.1 pick. The second round no. 1 pick? like I thought back then, it should have been baby carr but hey that happens.
    Loved what I saw from Brock.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To be more specific, the Texans drafted Clowney so that this would never happen again

[​IMG]