1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015: Clowney

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, May 8, 2015.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Oh absolutely. Disruption is production and sack numbers aren't everything. Clowney has been very stout against the run and is developing as a pass rusher. And next year his knee should be even closer to what it was pre injury.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's a no. Got it

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a "if you actually watched the games, you'd know".

Sorry, I'm not going to do all the work for you, actually watching the games, and knowing what is going on is something you need to be able to do if you want to talk football.

I mean, if you can't do that, at least walk around spouting PFF numbers, that's better than nothing.

4. Mr. Clutch

You haven't done any work whatsoever. You just make stuff up

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, I just watch football and I know what I see when watching the games. Again, if you can't do that, at least spout PFF numbers to make it seem like you understand what the conversation is about.

6. Mr. Clutch

Not really, you don't seem to know anything at all

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not surprising to me that someone like you would think that.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It's not surprising to you when someone calls you an idiot? Hey at least that's progress. Guess you get used to it since it happens so often.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not surprising to me when idiots call me an idiot. If they agreed with me, it would probably mean that I was being idiotic.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

All I can say is I hope said poster is correct.

Do I think he is?.... NO.

11. MystikArkitect

You're entertaining. I'll give you that. I think it's just easier to have a laugh track ready and play it whenever you finish a sentence. You make sense this way.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I had a friend back in high school that thought exactly the same way while listening to lectures in Physics....he's a sandwich artist today.

I guess comedy depends on your point of view.

1 person likes this.
  13. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Injuries happen. Props to Clowney for playing so well this year, after such a devistating injury last season. He is still recovering. But he has had a few plays where you can see glimpses of dominance. Though he's been solid for most of the year.

I don't blame Texans for going with Clowney. The way he played this season, I'd expect him to continue to improve. Mack has outfit payed him no doubt. But Clowney is getting his feet wet, and I expect him to improve.

Will Clowney overtake others players, in career impact, whom were drafted after him; likely not with his injury. But I do not that no Clowney will be a bust, he is still improving.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep.

Anybody who truly believes Clowney was actually double teamed every game/every snap is a blind fool/village idiot.

Next will come the post about how it's "not surprising you would think that", or how we supposedly aren't watching the games, and eventually the predictable village idiot will claim everybody to be drinking and taking it out on him.

At least less and less people bother to quote him which helps the ignore function actually work, and more and more reasonable discussion can commence without it.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not going to assume that you watch any Texans games, but if you do, it's clear that you have no clue what is going on down on the field when you watch. That being the case, it's okay that you don't know that Clowney catches a lot of double teams on passing downs and on run plays to his side of the field. Is it literally every down? Of course not, even JJ Watt isn't doubled literally every down because there's not a need to do so literally every down.That said, most passing downs where the QB is looking intermediate to deep and on run plays to his side of the field, most teams double or send an extra guy to chip Clowney. I really am sorry if you can't recognize that in your attempts to watch football, it doesn't mean that you can't still try and talk about the game, it just means that have to expect some ignorant BS from you every once in a while.

I think it would be expecting too much of someone like you to fully expect you to be able to pay attention to what happens on the field AND understand what is happening, but the least you could do is read what knowledgeable people who do pay attention and do understand what is happening have to say about it instead of drooling all over the thread like this.

16. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the broadcasts this year posted stats that said JJ Watt was the most double teamed defensive player in the league and I think it was somewhere around 46% but can't remember exactly.

So let's say Clowney is not that much but really close and pretend he was doubled 40% of the time. Hou averaged 61 defensive plays per game this season. Clowney played 13 games. 40% of that is 317 defensive plays where Clowney was doubled (ignoring that he very obviously didn't play every defensive snap).

Let's be really harsh on Mack and say he was only doubled 15% of the time. Oak averaged 67 plays on D for the year. Mack played 16 games. 15% = 268 defensive plays where Madk was doubled.

Last season Hou averaged 67 defensive plays per game. Both guys were rookies so let's say they both got little respect and were doubled 10% of the time. Clowney played 4 games. That leads to 26 plays where he was doubled.

Oak averaged 65 plays/game. Mack played on 16. That leads to 104 plays where he was doubled.

Clowney would then = 343.8 times he has been double teamed in the NFL.
    Mack = 372 times.

So by those crazy, heavily Clowney-weighted numbers, Mack has been double teamed MORE times than Clowney in the NFL.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha, I win! Not even a double team can stop the power of my math.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You guys know he ruins just about any thread he's involved in. Why do you engage him? No matter what you say, he's going to take the contrarian view. He's swoly without the emoticons.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

15% for Mack is REALLY high, I mean, he's almost never doubled. Like maybe once a game if that, it's just not something that is done.

If I knew who kept track of that specific stat, I'd post it to help out those who can't just watch football and see what is happening for themselves.

19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have lost to my math. Thank you. I hope you have a nice day and work towards a better future where you will not lose to math.

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member