1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015: Clowney

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, May 8, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Quick question, other than the one fluke game against the Broncos, what is the difference between Whitney Mercilus' numbers this season and Khalil Mack's numbers this season?

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Lets say hypothetically the GM of the Raiders loses his mind and offered Mack for Clowney. You're telling me you would say no to that?????

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

25 tackles?:confused:

If you take away the 2 games Mercilus had 3.5 sacks, his numbers would look awful.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. Clowney is a much more disruptive player than Mack already and the disparity is likely to grow in the future. Clowney is one of the best run stoppers in the NFL and he's only had 20 starts.

You can judge how respected a defensive player is by how opposing defenses react and game plan for them. In just his first full season Clowney is already seeing more attention than Mack gets. With Mack you throw a single blocker at him and roll the dice and sometimes he makes you pay for it, with Clowney you defenses don't risk it, they throw 2 guys on him and sometimes he still makes you pay for it.

Mack had a very fine season and his one fluke game against Denver made people think it was more than just a very fine season. He's not on par with Clowney.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The correct answer was coverage. Mack is better in coverage than Mercilus, when it comes to rushing the passer and against the run, they are similar in quality.

6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

When will Clowney have some "fluke games"? Look I know you're the president of the clowney fan club but to look down on a 5.5 sack game is just silly. Mack is legit so give the guy credit.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not worth it. I doubt Bobby even has the data on how much each guy has been double teamed. He's making it up.

There's not much point in thinking about Mack vs Clowney imo, Clowney was the consensus better prospect

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When will teams choose to use a single blocker on him all game long? I mean, that's pretty much every game for Mack, but I doubt that'll ever happen for Clowney, defenses respect him too much for that.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Clowney was apparently a double team away from being first team all-pro...

1 person likes this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

He should be an all pro, the rest of the league doesn't realize he's been double teamed on every play

11. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

We should've taken Mack. You can never go wrong with a Mack. Think Vontae Mack (Draft Day) and Alvin Mack (The Program).

12. conquistador#11

craig mack, flava in ya ear. Stacey mack, rockets' legend. also, stacey mack texans legend.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Watts stats aren't impressive and clownry is better. I mean if you took away his sacks against the Jaguars and the Titans he wouldn't have as many and he is older than clowney. Some people are just easily impressed I guess.

14. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Clowney had a similar year to Mack's rookie year. Look for his sack numbers to soar next year.

15. Mr. Clutch

I think it's just a matter of health. He was very impactful when he played.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed. I'm not ragging on clowney but I'm not going to rag on Mack either

17. Nook

Nook Member

Yes Clowney has been doubled every play (even on the sidelines) and Watt has been tripled.... The rest of the Texans defenders apparently just sit on their hands when the ball is snapped.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There were times when it seemed like it. Times when both Clowney and Watt got hit with 2 blockers each and no one else got any pressure on the QB. I'm not expecting any miracles, but most Texans fans should realize that.

19. Mr. Clutch

How many times did this happen? Links, data, stats? Anything?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Watch the games.