1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes, they did.

Correa will as well.

Doesn't matter if he's called up as a 20 year old, or they wait till he's a "mature" 24.

He will also benefit from the big league weight-training/nutritionists as somebody is going to have to help hone the BEAST of a body he's going to grow into.

2. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

He also told me that James Harden was being traded to Houston almost 24 hours before it broke on Espn.. I doubt it will be this series, but I would bet 10 bucks to the tipjar it happens before the allstar break.

3. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

Why would an Astros employee get that info

5. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

Works with the organization, not for it.

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

This kid is going to get a Stanton size deal.........from the Yankees.

Can you see Lunhow paying this kid?

7. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

*Crane allowing for it.

And yes. It also wouldn't be for a few years.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ironic since Stanton did get a Stanton-sized deal from the historically cheap Marlins.

The Astros should have more resources at their disposal (even with a lesser TV deal, that is still better than the Marlins' TV deal) to offer Correa just as much, if not more money.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or they could just offer him a mega-long term deal now. Why not? Would certainly allow him to be promoted sooner, and would avoid any of that Trout awkwardness when he puts up MVP-type numbers as a 21 year old.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Disagree. Altuve came up and put up consistent numbers for 2 and half seasons. 2 and a half years is not a small size and is good enough to judge a player's true talent over that time period. That is not a transition period from the minors...that is just how skilled Altuve was at the time. Altuve's improvement between 2013 and 2014 had nothing to with Altuve getting accustomed to MLB pitching in a transition period from the minors.

I guess Gattis and Carter are also having to adjust for the change from the minors to the majors this season. That explains it!

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Fine... apparently Altuve was for-sure MLB ready from AA as a 21 year old (although the team did wait till the super-2 deadline to bring him up).

And Correa has completely eclipsed the level of play that Altuve was at in 2011.... so he's likely even more "ready". (and the team also will at least wait till the super-2 deadline to consider bringing him up).

And just like Altuve showed improvement year-to-year after being exposed to MLB pitching, I expect the same thing to happen with Correa..... regardless of whether or not you want to call this a "transition" period.

#531 Nick, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  12. tmacfor35

"At this point in the year, a promotion for Correa at any point would allow him to become a free agent after the 2021 season at the soonest, assuming he arrives in the majors and stays. Promoting Correa now or in September or any time in between would not affect his potential free agency date."

Does waiting really matter?

That is how many at bats that Jose Altuve had above A ball.

Carlos is at 70

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Wade promoted Altuve (and JD Martinez) like crazy, in a failed attempt to save his own ass. This was not SOP.

14. Mashing

Mashing Member

I wonder if Hinch will bat Harden 3 or 4? I'm leaning toward 3. Gotta have your MVP in a position to get more at bats. ;)

15. tmacfor35

Both became all-star caliber players.

16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ah man...that's the equivalent to insider trading. lol

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Strawman. Never said Altuve was sure fire MLB ready and was actually surprised at how well he played when he was called up if I recall correctly.

So Altuve had a better year in 2013 than he did in 2012?

When I say transition period for a baseball player in relation to guys being called up, it is obvious that the transition being referred to is the transition from minors to majors. As his performance when he came up was not significantly different from his performance for the next 2.5 years without significant year-to-year improvement, it is easy to say Altuve didn't have a transition period.

That doesn't mean players can't improve and don't adjust. Altuve appears to have significantly improved between 2013 and 2014 that is completely unrelated to how well he transitioned from the minors.

If you want to see a transition period, look at Marisnick's performance in say 50 PA chunks. There is an overall upward trend and it is difficult to determine just how good Marisnick is without a large range.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

After you've thoroughly confused yourself, you're basically still saying that players do need an adjustment period following their MLB debut.

And like I said earlier, all players who eventually do stick go through an adjustment/transition/improvement period.

To say otherwise indicated a general misunderstanding of the vast differences between minor and Major League Baseball.... From the level of competition, to the day to day routine, hell simply due to the amount of increased money per day these guys see.

Sooner the callup, sooner that transition can start. Of course, it in all likelihood won't be till after June/July.

19. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Until Luhnow lets a legit stud walk because the price tag is too high, I'm going to assume he'll pay the legit stud to stay. I'm not sure if your post was angling for this, but it's tough to hear people say "Luhnow/Crane is too cheap to pay their players" when they've never had the opportunity to do so.

Apologies if I misunderstood your post.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Took them until last season to accomplish it though (I realize Altuve made the all-star team his 2nd year, but lets face it, he wasn't a true all-star caliber player).