1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There was enough talk out of spring training that Correa would likely be the best overall player on the Astros right now, without question.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think its absurd he hasn't been brought up.

He is mashing the ball and we have a weakness in our lineup.

Astros have Keuchel and McHugh on ridiculously cheap deals for the next 4years and you have a chance to stack this team in free agency and trades immediately.

This team is playoff caliber if it wants to be(yeah were in first now, but there is too much inconsistency in the lineup).

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I love Correa, and probably agree that he's ready for the show now.

But he's spent a grand total of 2 weeks above A ball. I don't think the Astros are in any way unjustified for still having him in the minors. If he continues to destroy pitching for a few months then we can talk.

4. tmacfor35

but but but you agree :grin:

Trout, Cubs prospects, Sox prospects were all jettisoned up the ladder.

Byron Buxton's batting average btw: Mendoza

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Trout had 1300 PA, 500 above A ball
    Russell had 1100 PA, 300 above A ball
    Correa has 1100 PA, 65 above A ball

Bryant came from college, and had 600 PA above A ball

I'm fine with the Astros waiting a few months, the injury last season put him a little behind schedule.

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

September at the earliest but most likely late April next year. Should make for an interesting decision this offseason with Jed if he has a good year... might be able to get a good prospect for him on a value contract.

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I would be pretty surprised if Jed was moved. He seemed to really like it when he was here a couple of years ago, and obviously seems to be enjoying it here now. When he signed there was talk that he made it clear he would be willing to play other positions than SS.

As for Correa, I agree it will likely be September...UNLESS there is an injury to Lowrie or Valbuena, if either of those guys (or Altuve for that matter) have any kind of an injury that would be more than a 15 day one, then if the team is still playing well and Correa is still tearing it up....I think we could see him this summer

8. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

Good post. If anything it seems like we kept Correa below AA a little longer than maybe needed (at least in comparison to Trout and Russell). At this point I'd like to see him get at least 300 AB's above A ball prior to promotion to the MLB. I think he will be past that number by September.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He was about to be called up to AA last season but had the season ending injury. Had he not been injured and made it to Corpus, I think it would've been more likely that he'd make it to the majors this season. With the way Valbuena, Lowrie, and Gonzalez are playing, I'm fine with giving him time.

10. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

I understand that, but even with that being the case. He was held under AA a bit longer than Russell and Trout.

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Some dude named Correa just doubled in a run

12. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

And he just hit a three run homer in his next AB.

13. body slam

body slam Member

With all the Correa talk Colin Moran quietly went 5 for 8 with 8 RBI in Saturdays doubleheader for the Hook.

14. tmacfor35

Move him up

15. Buck Turgidson

If things keep going as they are, play Lowrie at 1st, DH either Carter or Gattis, and eventually trade the superfluous piece.

I would assume that when Lowrie signed that it was known to all parties that he could/would/will be moved to open up a spot for a superstar in the making.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Correa basically getting either a double or a HR every single game is quite ridiculous. Does he even have anything to work on here when he's vastly superior to the competition both at the plate, and in the field?

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At this point, the only thing "time" is giving him is a chance to get bored with inferior competition or get another injury.

18. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, there's a chance he'll get stuck by lightning playing outdoors. With everything you're read about him as a man, do you thing he could get bored playing baseball? Do injuries happen only in the minors?

19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Gotta be the devils advocate again. One of the better aspects about the Texas league that it is small (8 teams), so the league sees players multiple times over the course of the season. Once the book gets out on a player, he's gotta learn to make adjustments.

Not saying Correa will necessarily struggle later in the season, but the early season tends to favor hitters. What he does in months two and three is a whole lot more important than month one.

Additionally, fast-track promotions can skew production numbers because each league hasn't made adjustments to the player.

#439 xcrunner51, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hasn't Correa's track record so far been starting somewhat slow... and coming on strong once he makes adjustments?

And sometimes a player is just "better" than the competition.

(for the record, even if he is just "better"... nobody can keep up this sort of pace at any level)