1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2015-2016] Jeremy Lin as a Charlotte Hornet

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by swyyyguy, Jul 8, 2015.

1. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

I love Yao and everything he has done for the world. However, he did very little for Asian-Americans in terms of proving anything about our capabilities and culture because as a Chinese citizen, he was not Asian-American.

2. yoeddy

My definition of defense is the same as his coach's definition. And my understanding of statistics allows me not to draw incorrect conclusions about a player.

3. bongman

bongman Member

What you are doing is giving him a label he doesn't deserve. You are minimizing what Robinson went through and that is garbage.

Robinson was discriminated against because of his race and NOT where he was born. You are adding special parameters (AA as oppose to just Asian)to the equation to fit your point of view. Btw, I am also Asian.

4. yoeddy

Ok, I can understand the point you make about possibly reducing the value/impact that Robinson had in the world, and I respect that. So perhaps I will rethink using the analogy.

But my point has been about what Lin has done and the *inspiration* it has provided to many Asian-Americans (and Asian-non-Americans as well). I didn't say he was as good as an athlete as Robinson, nor did I say he went through as much discrimination as Robinson...but what he has *inspired* among our community is similar IMHO. Now I will acknowledge/admit that this impact has significantly diminished over time...some (even Asian-Americans) will say that this is because he simply doesn't have the talent/skill to really continue to make an impact, and others will say that this is because he hasn't had the opportunity (playing next to Harden and Kobe and being put in a situation, instead of having the leadership role he had for those 3 weeks in NYC).

I agree that I am putting a parameter on the analogy...but I don't believe that I'm putting the parameter that you believe I am putting. If Jackie Robinson came from Africa (instead of being born/raised in America), he would not have endured all the discrimination of being African-American in this country...and therefore, while he would still provide some inspiration to African-Americans in this country because of the color of his skin, I would argue that fewer African-Americans would identify with him, and therefore would not provide the inspiration that he did. This is what I see with Yao...many Asian-Americans (including myself) became huge fans of his because we saw his skin color and felt proud...but he did not have to go through the same discriminations in life that many of us did, so I did not identify with him nearly as much. With Jeremy, his life experience was very similar to mine, so I identify with him so much more.

Fwiw, I don't usually go around throwing the Jackie Robinson comparison much...I only post about it when someone else brings it up so I can clarify a position. Hopefully this gives a different perspective on it.

5. bongman

bongman Member

I understand and agree that Lin does gives inspiration to all us Asians around the world especially to the ones who are not gifted with unusual height but to bring Robinson's name into the discussion is a little overboard and it's good to know you are in agreement.

With regards to .. If Robinson being born in the U.S. or not, I will have to disagree but we can leave it at that as there is really no way to determine what could have happened.

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Comparing what Jackie Robinson went through to Lin shows their level of delusion

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

...and just how insecure they all are.

Pathetic!

Truly sad human beings.

8. yoeddy

Agreed. And not at all what I said.

9. yoeddy

Wow, we made it to human being! Great to have evolved from zombies to insects to guppies and finally now to humans. So what's the next step? Mutants? Would love to be Wolverine next...

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

What a sad post!

Jeremy Lin is their Jackie Robinson because he has inspired the Aisan Americans to be journeymen bench-men in sports. Yes, getting relegated to the bench by the likes of Patrick Beverley and Jordan Clarkson (who himself is half Asian)!!!

Talk about insulting your collective selves!

[​IMG]

Like I said, sad human beings!

Next time pick a better role model!!

lulz...

11. yoeddy

Human beings! So awesome...

12. malakas

malakas Member

[youtube]7que1GSfdjk[/youtube]

I think he should just cut it and be done with that.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao did everything for all Asians in America and the world

[​IMG]

look Yao at a HOUSTON CHINESE COMMUNITY CENTER

what do these kids not look AMERICAN to you?

Is HOUSTON NOT PART OF AMERICA??

Sorry , Lin fans are extreme hypocrites

Houston Rockets fans don't look at Hakeem as a Nigerian, we look at him as a Houstonian

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Lin Fans definition of Asian is

Asian = raised in America
    Rich ass parents
    lives in California or NJ, New York
    Listens to Christian Rock music
    only roots for teams with an asian on it

The real definition of Asian is someone with Asian descent

15. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Yao Ming is named HOUSTON GOODWILL AMBASSADOR

Just because Houston is not in California and the Tri state area, doesn't mean it's not America with a bunch of Asians in it who are inspired by Yao Ming

That's why we hate Lin Only Fans, a bunch of hypocrites who know nothing of the city of Houston

All of the Lin Fans should be thrown on a boat to Jurassic Park and so the tourist could watch T Rex snack on some rats

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Yao Ming did way more for the American Asian Community before Jeremy Lin was throwing up airballs and hitting his dad's Mercedes E Class in Palo Alto with those bricks

[​IMG]

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Yao doesn't discriminate against different Asians like those dumb LOFs

Look, he's even loves poor people from the Philippines who work in America.

God bless Yao Ming, God blessed Yao Ming first before God even gave Lin any luck.

[​IMG]

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Yao Ming is the man!

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Sad situation but understandable why he did it.

The only thing with an upward trajectory in Jeremy Lin's life is his hair.

20. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

I normally don't have an issue with Lin fans but that guy you responded to is the reason why LOF's get a bad rep. Now I understand why you spend so much time and effort trolling them. Jackie Robinson of Asians? Please don't take that fool seriously. While I have no doubt Lin faced his share of racism to a degree (mainly idiotic fans during his college days), Jackie Robinson had to overcome death threats, fastballs intentionally throw at his head, racist umpires, and even racist teammates. He faced adversity at the highest degree and overcame on his journey to a hall of fame career. Robinson is a true hero. If Lin wouldn't have given up his seat to Kobe, he would have called Lin "the Rosa Parks" for Asians.