1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 World Cup - Brazil

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ivenovember, Dec 3, 2013.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The major problem starting Beckerman is that we're not playing in CONCACAF any more. The next meaningful games are Ghana, Portugal, and Germany. Beckerman is probably the least athletic player on the roster. That's where he will find himself constantly out of position and giving up bad fouls in dangerous areas.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I can't see any way the US gets out of the group stage. Need a world class player somewhere, anywhere.

3. SexyButIgnorant

It's not completely far fetched. They can beat Ghana (and if they want to get out of the group, they HAVE to).
    Portugal, from what I saw in the qualifiers, is a team that heavily relies on Ronaldo's magic. Never offered much outside of him. So if the U.S manages to play well-organized team defense against Portugal and have a good amount of counterattacks, they can get a tie or win.
    Germany will be the toughest, no doubt, but even they haven't been playing all too well in their friendlies. They are Germany though, so they can turn it on at will.

The defense can't make a single error, and Michael Bradley will need to show up and guide the team. I have hope for the Americans!

4. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Lool,there is no Way team USA comes out of that group.Ghana has a lot of talented players in their Roster who play in important leagues and Portugal is Not just Ronaldo,they have other talented Players aswell and don't get me started on Germany.

I can see the US gettin 1 Point in That Group vs Ghana and that's it.

5. Indaface

Indaface Member

I've seen crazy things happen in World Cups like Slovakia and Paraguay advancing over Italy who finished behind New Zealand in points.

6. smr6

smr6 Member

The order of the games works out as best as possible for the US. Not saying it means anything, but if you could choose an order to play them in, this would be it.

You start with Ghana, which is a must win, and also the most winnable match up. Then you play Portugal and you hope you can at least draw with some luck, and then Germany last. The hope would be that Germany would win their first two matches and already have an advancement spot wrapped up regardless of the outcome of that match.

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

The thing about being in a tough group is that it's tough for everybody. There is a good chance the team that finishes in second place will only have 4 points and it's very possible for USA to be that team.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

again, the USA beat Germany the last time we played, and we beat Portugal the last time we played them in the world cup. Ghana will be tough, though -- they've really been tough on us

:p

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's not far fetched at all. It will be incredibly difficult. As has been said, there is little chance in the US advancing if we don't get 3 against Ghana. I think Portugal is beatable and I expect that we can get a point from that game.

Germany is indeed Germany...but they still have to win games. They aren't playing any team in the first round that they won't have to bring their best to win. Portugal will not be an easy way to start. If that finishes in a tie, the group becomes wide open.

10. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

-Win against Ghana.
    -Tie (at best against Portugal)
    -Hope Germany curb stomps the opposition in the 1st 2 matches so that the US game means nothing.

Done.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Germany played with a complete B-unit though, shouldn't count this game.
    Just looked up the starting XI for that game and about 8 of the guys won't start in the World Cup.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The USA was missing players too - so what you are saying is the USA is nearly as good as Germany now....good.

:)

DD

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Schweinsteiger alone will rape the US midfield like tiny prison b****es. Ghana has far too much pace for the US to contend with and Portugal has one of the best goal scorers in world history.

My prediction is L vs Ghana, D vs Portland and L v Germany. 1 point.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

That could happen Moes, or...glass is half full version.

W - Ghana
    W - Portugal
    L - Germany

6 points - 2nd place in group advance.

DD

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It will only happen if Bradley gets up into the third. He is really the only player on the roster worth a ****.

16. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Ummm let me give it a shot..

Gone.. Albiol, Moreno, Cazorla, Iturraspe, Llorente, Villa, Negredo.

Maybe keep Negredo and take off Koke.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Worse than France '98? I don't think they can do that. :eek:

They will surprise Germany.

Here are some interesting records for the U.S. and A. : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_records

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

[​IMG]

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Michael Bradley and Tim Howard don't = world class though???:confused:

20. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Nobody would argue that the U.S. is in the same class as Germany. However, if they already have a spot in the next round in hand, they might just go easy grant us a point? The Germans have done a lot for the USMNT, like Klinsy, letting Green go, having Bayern open a new office in NYC, playing their B team against us after a tough loss to Belgium, etc. Wouldn't put it past them if they already know they're moving on :p