1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 3, 2014.

1. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Great decision! Might I suggest reading this thread to find a TON of hidden features and functions:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2454340

And these two apps to totally customize the UI:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.ptoti.g2_tweaksbox

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tinyroar.xposedlgg2

2 people like this.
  2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

The problem was Nokia simply didn't have the resources or talent to build an entire ecosystem to compete with Android and iOS in a timely fashion. They were a hardware maker, not a software and infrastructure company. They of course have made lots of software over the years, but they weren't inherently a software company.

Meego also didn't differentiate itself from Android all that much. I'm not saying it wasn't a great OS, but Nokia alone couldn't compete with Google in the marketplace. Palm had the exact same issue with WebOS, which too was a fantastic mobile OS. They operated on thin margins as most hardware vendors do, so they had to partner with someone who could throw money at it for years until they gained some footing.

Now some will say they made a mistake partnering with Microsoft over Google. Partnering with Microsoft let them differentiate themselves from everyone else, so they were the definitive Windows Phone rather than just another Android device maker. Even if they had gone the way of Android, I don't think they could have made a major dent in Samsung's dominance the past few years.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Ok...I can admit when I'm wrong. I picked up a LG G2 and I'm impressed with phone. I'll like it more when I get a custom ROM on it.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think it's more comical to see people debating sports teams. At least you use the tech you're debating (hopefully). I have no idea why we debate sports teams. lol.

1 person likes this.
  5. Svpernaut

Not to mention, tech companies make products that effect the economy and millions of people's lives and careers. My life revolves around technology. It is my career, my job, my hobby and my passion. So of course I am going to take a vested interest in all of the companies and products that I care about. I'm also going to have interest in all of the companies and products that could have adverse effects on the products and companies I care about. I pay just as much attention to the competition as I do my company, maybe even more so.

Technology is what moves us forward as a species, and I'm always baffled by people who don't embrace or understand it.

6. Svpernaut

Well, well. It looks like Samsung is releasing a Windows Phone on Verizon shortly according to FCC filings. The "Samsung Huron" will look a lot like the Galaxy S4 with specs of 2GB RAM, 13MP primary camera, Quad-Core CPU, and a 5” 1080x1920 display.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/07/samsung-windows-phone-fcc/

This is obviously fantastic news, and shows that the "big 4" are now building Windows Phones again (Nokia, HTC, Samsung and Sony). Nokia is the flagship. New HTC phone(s) are coming soon. Samsung is bringing a hefty competitor to Nokia in the Huron (and maybe more) and Sony is bringing multiple phones to the platform.

Now, if we could just get the damn carrier exclusives out of the way... but that will come when Microsoft has more leverage with market share increase.

#66 Svpernaut, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/18/5421890/htc-one-2014-launch-event-invite

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If you aren't a sports fan, I can understand this. My wife feels the exact same way.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Pride, man! Pride! :grin:

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Well that is because they have 90% something of the market. Microsoft makes a lot of products. Their biggest cash cow is Office. If Linux suddenly took 90% of the desktop market share you could bet they would would make office for Linux. Plus Microsoft makes more money of android licensing fees than windows phone.

11. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

nexus 5 users, how long did you guys use the launcher before switching to something else?

12. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I'm still using it 4 months later. But I have Xposed with the Google Search API, letting me do a bunch of cool stuff with the "Okay Google" hotword. Plus, with Xposed GEL Settings and Unicon, there's not much in the way of customizations that I'm missing over a custom launcher.

13. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Always used Nova Launcher so that immediately replaced the stock launcher. Nothing against it, just like the functionality of Nova.

14. Throttle

Throttle Member

15. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Anyone use the LG Flex?

16. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

not long at all. I used nova and the gestures are something i use a lot. being able to swipe down the notification bar and settings bar w/o having to reach all the way to the top of the screen is huge for me especially since moving to larger screen.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Office is finally coming to the iPad. MS finally wants that money.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Notice how office for iPad requires 365, office for surface is free and does not. Haha, I love the surface.

19. SexyButIgnorant

So, I lost my cheap flip phone some days ago. I don't really mind, I was gonna get a new smart phone anyway. The problem is, I already used my upgrade like a year ago, so ATT said I coud get a new phone, but all their smartphones on the website are no less than 250.

Anyone have any good suggestions on a decent ATT smart phone at an affordable price?? (50-125)

20. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Nokia Lumia 520 is $59.99 on AT&T (without contract). Yes, it's a prepaid phone but I had it on a postpaid sim and it worked just fine. No LTE though