1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 3, 2014.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

not so anymore. after their conference today i realized that apple hasn't been bleeding edge for a few years now. as dave2000 mentioned to me on twitter, my galaxy nexus in 2011 had a 4.7 screen and nfc (along with google wallet).

i'm grateful for apple though. their nfc adoption means more widespread support and more apps in booths companies respective app stores.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sent you an email through the board. Just confirm that's where you want the invite to go.

#702 Two Sandwiches, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Apple definitely sets the pace in some regards, but I just don't see how this iPhone does anything other than play catch up to other platforms. I ask myself, beyond the app ecosystem, how is this iPhone any better than anything Nokia puts out? How about Samsung? It doesn't even measure up in some regards. It feels like every platform does something perfectly right, but this new iPhone is a jack of all trades and a master of none.

I'm also annoyed we didn't see anything in terms of voice. I think Cortana and Google now have done a damn good job of making those key points. Also, with the Microsoft smartwatch rumored to be cross platform and ~$200 I think by no means do you count out their answer to this new tech. Honestly, I think Apple diluted themselves with the watch and the phones suffered because of it.

4. johnnytsunami

johnnytsunami Member

If you still have one available, I'd love to have one. Thanks!

Waited for the iPhone 6 reveal, hoping they would give me an excuse to switch, but it was a pretty big let down..

5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I keep coming back to buying it. But I really want to see it in person first. Plus that initial sticker price is pretty large.

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Unless it's apple pay only :(

7. OmegaSupreme

this will never happen.

ecosystem is huge. can't really exclude it. it was the only reason i was considering it. there's better looking phones with peak performance out there.

i agree about the watch and voice.

#707 OmegaSupreme, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  8. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I am starting to think that Apple could present a giant turd and people would go crazy for it. There are so many good options out there now days that people are blind to.

9. BiGGieStuFF

Right now the ONLY thing that i see right off the bat that iphones beat out on any other phone is the use of that lightning port for audio. completely digital and no analog signal. Android has been talking about support for audio over the microusb slot but I have yet to see any real support for it. With that port you can get high quality mics that work with it as well for professional recording. other than that it's basically features that most other flagship phones have had for awhile.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

15 minutes of Candy Crush and my battery drops 10%... kind of ridiculous.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This. I'm still an iPhone fan and want to see more innovation from Apple but the competition gap has been paper thin for a few years now regarding smartphones. The lateness (or resistance) into getting a bigger screen for the iPhone, the availability of popular apps on Android and MS, the marketing blitz from Samsung, etc.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Well one thing that apple does, is bring those features that Android introduced, to the mainstream. Which have either gone unnoticed or overlooked on the many different android phones that are released in a given year.

13. BiGGieStuFF

I used to say that, but I'm not so sure this time. I'd love for payments via phone to take off but i'm still hesitant that Apple can pull it off. One thing I did notice in the demos is that the range of the NFC for the iphones was a bit larger. I usually have to put my phone nearly on the pad, but the iphones seemed to be a good inch or 2 away.

14. distence

distence Contributing Member

can anyone direct me to a good guide to flash my AT&T branded HTC One (M7) with an official TMobile Rom (RUU)? ive checked out XDA but there is so much stuff on there Im not sure which one to follow. not a heavy phone user so just like something stock so i can receive OTA and utilize Tmobile's radio bands. Im currently a TMobile customer.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I completely agree. People were flocking to the iphones because of quality. Pre iphone5 days, I would agree. Androids were still having issues. It seems everyone I know who have Iphones have a significant issue, ranging from buttons sticking/not responding, to batterys, to locking up. Its even a bigger joke when they brag on their facebook that they have an appointment scheduled at the iphone store an hour away....and still have to wait two hours.

My biggest complaint about the S3 was the charging port was terrible.

I have two large complaints about the S5. The screen is too sensitive. It seems I am always butt dialing people if I forget to turn off the screen. Any bit of moisture throws the screen into havok. My other complaint is there are certain apps that will draw down power continuously but not show it accurately in the battery monitor screen.

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I'm hoping it makes a bit more mainstream so I have a reason to use Google Wallet then everywhere. I use it every now and then but it's hard to get in the habit of using it when some of them don't have NFC payment as an option.

17. avanz

avanz New Member

Hi there, can I have one invite please? Thanks!

18. BiGGieStuFF

I hope for that to, but I just don't see Apple having the same clout as they used to over other companies like they used to. I hope i'm wrong. I feel more secure paying with my phone than I do with my cards.

19. OmegaSupreme

edit:

delete. was posted in a different thread.

#719 OmegaSupreme, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Send me your email through the board. I'll get you an invite.