1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 3, 2014.

1. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Rather have them do some weird and unique designs WHILE still making normal phones like the S5 and Note series. Get some innovation going rather than sticking with same ol, same old. I mean , they're not forcing you to buy anything so get over it.

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

The edge I think will appeal to the major media consuming individual that needs their notifications. Imagine watching YouTube Netflix NFL mobile or any video and getting notifications via the edge display and being able to respond to it without leaving what you are watching. The same goes for games. Having notifications running on the edge display ticker style is a lot more discreet than the entire screen flashing. Good for those boring meetings PR those dates you just aren't having a good time on hahaha

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am big on notifications... and thus an "Edge-like" device would have appeal. I'd guess I will need to see it in action. But with lots of notification capabilities in most of the custom ROMs (Heads Up, Hover, Peek) including and most important to me... lockscreen notifications and pocket mode (and PushBullet... so I get them on my laptop)... I may not need to spend a lot on new phone just to get them.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

A couple ideas for the Edge...

When you have the phone on your nightstand, the edge can display the clock...like a normal alarm clock. You dont have to pick up the phone to see the time.

If you have your phone on your desk, the edge can rotate through sports scores like the ESPN ticker...or if you have it set to your favorite team, it can update you when something happens in a game (Chris Carter two-run HR, Jose Altuve stolen base, etc...).

The good thing with that extra screen is that it's independent of the main screen, so you can have the main screen off, conserving energy. There'll be a hundred useful applications for this.

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

But knowing Samsung, it will be gimmicky, and won't work well with third party apps/widgets. In the end it will fail.

6. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

hey hey now.... I got first dibs....

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I second this. Unless mainstream apps like Evernote, ESPN, Facebook, etc actually utilize the edge it will end up being another failed innovation.

8. BiGGieStuFF

the somewhat good news is that the SDK will be released to developers so they can start modifying their apps to work with it. the somewhat bad news is, since this phone is the only phone with an edge display, which developers are going to invest the time to add that into their apps. I think it will be slow to start with but perhaps Samsung will offer incentives to devs to change their apps.

9. steddinotayto

I think the biggest hurdle is the fact that it's in the phablet family in terms of size, which is a market not having a lot of users even in 2014. if this was put on, say, the Galaxy S5 or the next S6 I can see developers having more of a reason to work the edge screen into its apps.

10. steddinotayto

That being said, I love my G3's 5.5" screen. I scoffed at the notion of having a screen bigger than 4.7" but this thing has pretty much replaced my ipad mini as reading e-books, magazines, and comics on it have been fairly comfortable.

11. BiGGieStuFF

Didn't the galaxy note outsell the galaxy S series? I might be wrong on that.

12. steddinotayto

Hmmm you might be right though the final sales figures haven't came out yet.

Note 3 10 million in sales in first 60 days

13. BiGGieStuFF

I think i'm wrong, but it seems there is almost an equal amount of notes going out as the S series but you're definitely right about getting that edge feature on the S series as well. I'm surprised they didn't come out with an iteration of edge for both series. NOte Edge and S edge.

14. BiGGieStuFF

Highly disappointed in the Moto X (2nd gen) that last second leak that showed that it had a 2300mah battery really threw me for a loop, and to have it finally confirmed is the nail in the coffin.

15. steddinotayto

16. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Moto 360 Best looking Android smart watch by far, but a watch that runs out of power halfway through the day is... bleh.

17. BiGGieStuFF

I was on the 360 boat but now with the upcoming android wear update, i'm out on all the watches until the 2nd generation comes. The new update is supposed to bring GPS and offline music playback. None of the watches except the Sony have a GPS radio in it and none of the watches have enough internal storage space for offline music + apps in my opinion. Does everyone need those features? no, but in order to be a real fitness wearable, i think having these features is preferred. On top of that the latest reviews of the 360 have indicated it has poor battery life. It's been quite the disappointment thus far but I'm still going to read reviews to see what happens. Now if it sells poorly and Moto is forced to fire sale then I'll definitely buy one probably for looks alone but until that happens, I think that ship has sailed for me :(

18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The New Moto X has been getting some good reviews.

Looks like a really nice phone.

Still holding out for a new Nexus, but that Moto X is definitely intriguing.

I'm probably going to hold out due to the battery life. Maybe either wait till 2nd gen or another intriguing smart watch.

19. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

not so much love for charging port flaps. i'm surprised at the need for waterproofing. as much as folks charge their phones, i don't dig finicky pieces of plastic on a $600+ dollar piece of equipment getting in the way. dealt with it back when i had the droid dna and it kept it from being perfect imo. water resistance can be done without those.

i feel super dirty for seriously considering the iphone 6 tomorrow.

20. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

:(

say it aint true OS

1 person likes this.