1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014 NBA Draft/2-53] Alessandro Gentile

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 26, 2014.

?

Do you like Houston's choice of Alessandro Gentile at the 53rd pick?

1. YES

139 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. NO

31 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Doesn't look too bad from his highlights. He can shoot with confidence and he is strongly built. He should stay in Europe for another year to gain more experience.

I don't see any advantage in keeping him for longer than that, because of his limited upside.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Riiiiight, because Corey Brewer is likely to explode for 50 points on any given night. :rolleyes:

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I pitched this to the Rockets years ago when Hinkie was still there. The key part of his reply: "I'm afraid there are rules prohibiting ownership of a FIBA team, though I will continue to think of ways to get at some of your concepts, as much of your thinking is spot on.")
    The most you can do is exchange things like scouting reports, I think.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. There might be a transition period to fully accept what will be his new role, but Milan run a pretty isolation heavy offense. Scoring is what he is asked to do. Similar situation with the Italian national team. The systems he's played in are as reliant on isolations as it gets in Europe.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

Maybe I was too quick to judge. I mean we really would only need him as a scorer coming off the bench.

5. omgTHEpotential

Gentile is DMo's old teammate. Some chemistry there.

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I was gonna make one, but thought better of it.

7. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

I'm very happy for Alessandro. Gentile was an alcoholic and weighed 220 lbs when he was 16 years old, but then Jasmin Repeša, the Croatian national team coach, was appointed as the head coach of Treviso, took Gentile under his wing and made him into a player he is today.
    Btw, Repeša coached and developed an abundance of European talents, including Okur, Belinelli, Houston's very own Motiejunas and Jusuf Nurkić, this year's 16th pick. Šarić also improved a lot under him when playing with the national team.

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

Wow didn't know that. Another reason to pull for this kid to do well here. Also glad to know he's in good hands while in Europe.

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

Oh and does anyone know a good streaming site for european bball? Id like to see how some of our stashed players play.

10. FeaR

FeaR Member

11. FeaR

FeaR Member

12. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

^Game 7 of the Italian finals right now.

(#5 Team Red)

#92 HMMMHMM, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  13. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Is it me or he has a bit slow release?

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

yeah, makes sense..

[​IMG]

15. Nook

Nook Member

Meh lets see is Genital comes over first. I have seen him play (never in person) and he didn't jump out to me as an NBA player.

16. afk

afk Member

Looks like we found our future sixth man?

17. Nook

Nook Member

Sorry

But

No.

18. NotChandlerParsons

Don't forget that if he does get PT and sucks, it will be all fire Morey fire McFail why did they draft and play this scrub. :mad:

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Congratulations 2Gentile&amp;Milan on winning Italian League championship just a few hours ago. Alessandro is the captain&amp;best player in Italy</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/statuses/482660813061099520">June 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Barcelona, Kostas Pap...'s team won their national comp too.