1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-2015] Will the Mavericks be contenders?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by steddinotayto, Jul 17, 2014.

1. SPURS

SPURS Rookie

I heard he's been working on it.

2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. But again it is how healthy everyone is. That team last year was the only team that gave the Spurs a run for the money. Chandler is back to help Dirk. I hate the Mavs with a passion hut as of right now they are looking like a better team. It definitely pains me like a bullet in the nutsack to say it. Dirk Chandler and Parsons definitely sound better than Ariza, Terence Jones, Dwight. Man it makes me want to throw up.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

They'll be a playoff team again barring injury. But they aren't a title contender unless they have a miracle season.

4. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

I can see it now: 7th game of Conference Semifinals, 10 seconds left and Rockets down 1, Harden gets ball, and his defender is Chandler Parsons. Harden dribbles, 9, 8, 7...He shakes, Parsons doesn't bite. 6, 5, 4...Harden drives, Parsons is like glue following as he passes by him. 3, 2...Harden dribbles, steps back...1...Harden shoots....

Omg I just had a heart attack

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I think they can tbh, coaches like Carlisle can maximize talent and if the stars align...who knows?

6. FeaR

FeaR Member

Nahh, Parsons can't stay in front of anyone.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They definately will make noise in the playoffs again.

8. errpac

errpac Member

Playoff, not contenders though. I still put the Rox up against them.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No,we are not!

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They will be beaten in the playoffs, but they are better than us. Morey has a lot of work to do.

11. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

They will make the playoffs, no way winning it all.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Totally disagree. Dallas lost a lot that worked for them last year, primarily VC. Dirk's a year older, as is their defensive savior Tyson Chandler. Monta is potentially playing in a contract year (give me the rock). Parsons will be trying to prove himself as a Max player while defending poorly. Lines up to be a difficult season for them.

Dallas will be fighting it out in the 7-10 range, and if they make the playoffs, it will be due to excellent coaching.

I put these teams in front of them pretty easily: Spurs, Thunder, Clips, Rox, Portland, Warriors, Griz (much improved). So then they're fighting it out with Phoenix and New Orleans (a squad which could actually leapfrog into the earlier list).

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I'm not even sure they make the playoffs.

14. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Dallas has become my most disliked club…I hope that they don't make the playoffs for the next 5 years…at least.

15. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Contenders for the 8th seed

16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

They are trying to sign Mo Williams. Enough said.

17. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

They are not better than us lmaoo

18. VBG

VBG Member

I think Rick Carlisle manages to make them frisky. If things break right then they might end up in the WCF like the Grizzlies 2 seasons back.

They aren't a legit contender (that's the Spurs, Thunder, Cavs IMO) or a secondary contender (Clippers, Bulls) but they're a dark horse. Don't see much separation between them and Houston/GSW/Memphis to be honest. Assuming Dirk can play at a similar level to last year.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think they are a 6 seed, maybe 5

They'll have a better record than the rockets

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That's the big if, I think. He's played over 42,000 NBA minutes now, having just turned 36. Last year was the only one in the last four that he was healthy and appeared in 80 games. Even then, it was his worst rebounding year since 1999-2000. His minutes have been declining pretty steadily since 2006, so he should clock in around 30 mpg, when healthy.

Predict he steps back closer to his 2011-2013 self, playing about 55-60 games.
    It's just mother nature, and he hasn't shown himself to have a Carla Malone like durability.

When Dirk's out, it will be entertaining to watch CP25 try to create his own looks with the shot clock winding down.