1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. downbytheriver

you're telling me south park is not a part of 'merican culture?

2. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

Oh, so you agree that mocking the accents of foreign-born Americnas is American culture? I call dumbasses doing that "morons". But I do not consider the dumb **** that they do American culture.

3. hollywoodMarine

First off, let's just clear one thing up. LOF's are the guys that hang out on jeremylin.net. Someone linked to that site last year, and I made the horrible mistake of clicking on it. I am NOT a representative of that fanatical group of extremists. Lin supporters are not a monolith! (and I mean that without Key and Peelean irony)

Second. Comon man. You probably didn't think it was that bad, and maybe you were also just trying to reference that movie and so it was just an honest mistake, but I'm letting you know now, mocking foreign accents is in poor taste.

I'm not gonna get into a discussion about what does or does not constitute racism. Yes sometimes people can overreact, and sometimes racial remarks are acceptable in certain contexts, but this is one of those things that's not really in that fuzzy borderline grey area, especially given the context and the targeted recipients of your remarks (and really, comon, you know you were saying those things not just for humor but to make a disparaging racial allusion)

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I hate to break this to you but people in every country on earth mock the accents of foreign born as well as native born people. You're welcome.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RrZlWw8Di10" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Please carry on with calling each other dumbasses and talking about each other's sex lives. :)

#3884 CometsWin, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  5. hollywoodMarine

Waiting for a witty remark from Tinman ;)

Would you guys say something like that to a stranger who was Asian that you met on the streets? You wouldn't expect a negative reaction? I'm genuinely curious

Making fun of accents to strangers, or maliciously to people you don't like, is in poor taste.

What matters is the context.

One example, in my unit, admittedly many the Marines of different races make fun of each other's race and accents all the time (we've got white, Asian, black, and hispanic, quite a motley group). The key difference though is that we all know each other, and respect each other. However, one Marine I know made the mistake making fun of Asian accents one day, unaware of an officer nearby (who happened to be Asian), and got a real ass chewing. That officer was not being sensitive, rather the Marine said it in the wrong context. You guys see what I'm getting at?

6. downbytheriver

marine- did you delete your post?didn't think it was possible.

we're sports fans, this is a sports forum.i prefer in game threads to have the same atmosphere as games, without people keeping quiet trying to be PC. if you're gonna take offense to south park jokes than i don't think sports are the right arena for you. honestly, people used da Arnold voice for dirk his first 10 years in the league and nobody complained. it's who wants to feel like a victim. people in this thread are talking about a player's GAME, or LACK thereof, not his personal life. your own fault for getting suckered by linhype's trolling

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

A lot of things posted online would never be said face to face. Do you say "would hit" to a strange woman face to face? I would hope not.

And I'm not excusing the behavior. I don't condone it but to claim it's not American or endemic to any other country is just nonsense. If I lived in China and spoke ****ty Chinese I'm sure I'd be mocked quite often.

8. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

You still do not know what the problem is? Your accent mocking post was obviously directed at the lin fans. Therefore, you were making the dumb assumption that lin fans in general are foreign-born who speaks with accents.

9. downbytheriver

I do have personal issues with players on occasion, but that doesn't translate into how i view their game. Lin is not one of them. Dwight is!!
    When dwight came into the league, he was harpin on about being a good Christian this, Christ is everything etc. He kept going ON about it. He ends up having tons of kids out of wedlock, canoodles with p*rn stars, just really uses the lord's name in vain every opportunity he gets and tries to get sympathy. i don't like that and see it as a weak cop out. if you believe in something, don't go half way.

but he's still a center you want on your team.

ya'll need to separate emotional bias from what you see on the court. that would be me going to a Scalabrine thread and trying to see him as someone i relate to as opposed to a player. that's all i'm trying to say. don't care who's posting what pics of who's manhood, who's sleeping around and who's mother's bathroom (that was a weird one) etc. you can run, but you can't hide from yourself... the Lord watches us all, cheesy as it may sound.

10. hollywoodMarine

Oh I never said it was not American. I thought you were condoning the behavior, my apologies. I'm glad you agree that it's not really acceptable, because that's the point I'm trying to make. And yes, you may be mocked by Chinese people for your bad Chinese, but that's wrong too.

For the third time, I'm going to reply to your post and hope it doesn't get deleted...

Thanks for the compliment, but LOF's are the guys that hang out on jeremylin dot net. Someone linked to that site last year, and I made the horrible mistake of clicking on it. I am NOT a representative of that fanatical group of extremists. Lin supporters are not a monolith! (and I mean that without Key and Peelean irony)

Second, yes mocking foreign accents is not really acceptable IMO. This forum is better than that. I totally understand if you are getting together with your friends to watch sports, and you have close Asian friends that you joke around with, and you know they are ok with it, then that's cool.

But you are on the internet, on a message board, with many users that you don't really know, and also many users that you despise, and you're using race as a way to disparage them. That's a completely different situation, especially since you are not even being "playfully racial."

Like I said, Marines in my section, we say messed up racist stuff to each other all the time, but we know each other's boundaries, and we are good friends so we know we aren't saying that stuff to attack others, but just to be funny.

11. archinkent

archinkent Member

Your so called 'American culture' is not acceptable here on this forum. Clutch and other mods have pointed it out in the past. Posters have been banned because of that.

You wanna diss LOFs, they are plenty other ways to do that but not this 'American culture' bull****.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Never mind. I hope Lin got his autograph.

Glen is a Pistons fan. Good for him. Glen is a true inspiration for the human race. He helps us from the walkers.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>About to see the dude <a href="https://twitter.com/AndreDrummondd">@AndreDrummondd</a>. Let's do it <a href="https://twitter.com/DetroitPistons">@DetroitPistons</a> <a href="http://t.co/5se0vIhnDi">pic.twitter.com/5se0vIhnDi</a></p>&mdash; steven yeun (@steveyeun) <a href="https://twitter.com/steveyeun/status/539941599690518528">December 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#3892 tinman, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I was hoping Lin would be having a bad year seeing he's with the Fakers, but his percentages and assists are up. I imagine he's been given a dose of humility playing with the greatest teammate to ever live, Kobe Bean Bryant.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Amen. Lol

15. Rox11

Rox11 Member

How is that racist? Some Generalization are not racist but actually just being honest.
    Do not become this
    http://youtu.be/NY4G-wgqQYM

16. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

Did I mention the term "racist"? Where? I do think mocking the accents of foreign born Americans is distasteful, low class and moronic. And I am not the only one who have Such opinion. Please point out where I have said it is racist before you start lying.

Do not bcome this

http://youtu.be/NY4G-wgqQYM

17. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

So confused as to why you're still a rookie.

1 person likes this.
  18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I wondered what would come first, "soon" or this thread degrading into a clusterf&%k.

19. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Oh yeah? Well, you started it. So there. :p

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure Glen told Lin that he needs to improve on his Beth like decision making in crunch time.