1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. bongman

bongman Member

Feel bad for him as I wish all rockets, current and former rockets the best. Caveat: as long as we're not playing them.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Lin did commit a couple miscues before getting benched-- one didn't count as a TO because the Lakers got the ball back, IIRC.

The thing is, the Lakers probably didn't help themselves by pulling Lin, even considering mistakes and all. The lineup they finished the game with after Lin's benching shot 2 for 7 from the floor (plus Kobe's 0-2 on FTs) and allowed the Wolves to score 8 pts on 3 for 5 FG and 1 for 2 FT.

After pulling a guy who actually made some stuff happen off the dribble, the Lakers predictably went to more Kobe hero ball, which has failed them time and again all season.

And for some reason Byron Scott didn't put his best defender, Ed Davis, on the floor even for defensive possessions-- which resulted in an overmatched Nick Young guarding Thaddeus Young when he drew what turned out to be the game-winning shooting foul.

1 person likes this.
  3. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

they haven't ran Princeton for a couple of seasons now

4. archinkent

archinkent Member

As I said before, his kryptonite is his defense, which is why he was not trusted during crunch time. His TOs are negligible compared to his assists numbers.

BTW I am starting to wonder if Byron Scott is Mchale 2.0. Down 1 and the play was for a Kobe 3. WTF?

5. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Lin shot over 50%, scoring 18pts and dishing 11 assists vs. 3 TOs. Not sure where you're getting the "back-2-back TOs" since he only had 1 TO in the 4th quarter (the offensive charge just before he was taken out of the game).

6. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

To be fair, he was a little out of control in the last few minutes he played. Like a 3 on 1 fast break and he threw the ball away, and dribbled into the crowd a couple times and passed the ball while jumping in the air. Classic over-excited Jeremy Lin mistakes.

I thought a good coach would have pulled him for a minute, helped him to calm down and re-inserted him. after all, he did well offensively and was their most consistent threat besides Kobe.

But that is Byron Scott we talk about. Milk hair is a better coach than he is. This guy can't coach offense and defense. Give up 120 pts to wolves?! LOL.

7. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

come on we all know Scott isn't much of a coach. CP3 ran the show in New Orleans, JKidd was the real coach in NJ.

8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

stop blaming coaches, he is just a role player

9. mingthething

mingthething Member

Then when JKidd became the NJ nets coach for real.......... he replicated the success he had as a player. Oh wait. What?

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Have you seen the Bucks play this year?

And what he did as a player has nothing to do with coaching ability anyway. Byron Scott was undoubtedly the product of exceptional PG's, much like Mike D'antoni.

11. kvnzhangyay

kvnzhangyay Member

He would be a role player on good teams, but for the trash Lakers he's like the 2nd option. 18-11 on 50% shooting and 4 steals is pretty good

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yes I watched. Did you?

I have league pass. Let me help you out.

4:35 - Lin drives in the lane ("out of control" as per Lakers announcers), jumps up and turnes it over while passing. He collects an offensive foul as well.

3:45 - He drives in the lane, jumps up, and throws it to no one in particular. Nick Young saved that turnover by diving for the lose ball a calling a timeout.

Right after this, Byron Scott yanks Lin.

It is clear as daylight who watched the game and who didnt.

Y'all Lin "White" Knights are ridiculous. WATCH THE GAME. Dont just look at the box score!!!

Byron Scott was WATCHING the game when he decided to bench Lin.

I have said it a thousand time before and I will keep saying it. Until Jeremy Lin improves his handles and starts to make better decisions with the ball, coaches will always second guess putting him/keeping him late in the game. He is not going to gain their trust. I dont care which coach we are talking about). He can potentially win you games but he can also sink your ship. This unknown factor scares the hell out of coaches.

#3632 Zboy, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  13. downbytheriver

The thing is, this is the exact kind of game where Lin would Stat pad. Rec center style ball with no team playing defense. Then in the 4th, when things start to mean something, he made mistakes and was benched immediately. Really don't think he's nba material - just doesnt understand his profession despite playing it his whole life.

14. downbytheriver

You guys talk about game winning potential, but I haven't seen it. Ive seen it with JJ Barea. Give me the guy who makes the right play in the 4th instead of being completely clueless on how to execute. Why does Jr smith get blasted for being a bone head and Lin's alleged Harvard education give him a pass? Too much asian sympathy. Jr smith has won a lot more games for his team as well, despite his inconsistency.

15. Razsan

Razsan Member

We did watch the game...11 assists including a TREMENDOUS half court alley-oop. Plus he went 7-11 after starting out a cold 1-4. He was THE spark for the team most of the game. Scott was an idiot for benching him the last 4 minutes.

16. mig0s

mig0s Member

He tried to pass to nick young but it was a bad pass. But it got recovered so its not a TO, unlike you stated in your original statement. I like how haters like you focus on a single mistake while he had a good game.

Honestly with or without Lin it wouldnt have mattered. Lakers plays in crunch time is iso kobe lol

17. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Yup, I watched the game. In both instances, he drove the lane aggressively, then tried to pass when he saw a double team that would have resulted in getting blocked...the first one he got called for a charge, and the second one Nick Young wasn't ready to catch the pass (though he did manage to scramble and get the ball...and Lin called the time-out that kept the possession). Was he playing out of control? Maybe..,but he was trying to be aggressive, and he just needed to settle down a little...not get yanked. He left the game with a 3pt lead and the lakers ended up losing...

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kryptonite doesn't affect Lin cause Lin is jimmy Olsen not Clark Kent or superman or jar jar blinks.

Lin is not a super hero in the marvel or dc universes. He's no hero at all.
    Foo fighters wouldn't make a song for him

19. dchoye

dchoye Member

Maybe Lin gets sick of losing this year and sign for less money with Rox next year

20. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Boy, you better take them words back
    ..NOW!