1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. steady

steady Member

Lin is did not grow up rich _. Just solid middle class. Denny's IKEA Target. Palo Alto is not all expensive neighborhoods

He's an Asian kid from an immigrant family that worked hard and had a good home life. He was very lucky yes.

2. theangrycanary

is it just me or does it look like lin put on some real muscle in the offseason?

3. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

LOL at Kobe having to follow any rules. It's silly to even suggest that.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin fans don't care about what Kobe did for the Lakers, they only care about what Kobe can do for Lin.

6. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Certainly it's a different kind of adversity...but rich parents, great upbringing and Harvard education do not in any way help pave the road to an NBA career. In fact, the point is that all of these things actually hurt your chances of making it to the NBA...coming from these things creates a bias against the player; eg. hasn't played against good enough competition, isn't battle-tested, etc. Being of Asian ethnicity provides another huge layer of adversity in the goal of being a professional athlete, because the popular perception is that Asians are not good athletes.

So yeah...if Lin was looking for a job at Google, these things would all be in favor for him...but as a pro athlete, not so much...

7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

You may not be aware of this, but one thing people LLUUVVV to do is say "I told you so".

For instance, the Rockets were holding Lin back, but somehow his usage has dropped from 20.6% in Houston to 19% in LA. Because Kobe is holding him back. And next year, wherever he ends up, somebody else will be holding him back.

8. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

The fact that this thread is still going strong despite the fact that the Rockets are having an incredible year speaks to the notion that the last two years has been traumatizing for this board. Its like being stuck in a bad relationship for far too long, and now when we're finally free, we still need to get some things out, vent, process, and reclaim our identity.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

most people aren't taking it that seriously, at this point it's really just a running troll of leftover LOFs

10. Zergling

Zergling Member

Nice game from Lin vs the Hornets. There's that consistently inconsistent player we all know and love!

There are some surprise early overachieving teams, and the Hornets are one of the surprise early underachieving teams.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Clutchfans love the truth and some people hate the truth

12. mig0s

mig0s Member

Theres no more LOFs on this forum. Why would they still be here?

13. skychaser

skychaser Member

That's because both truth and reality hurt, that's why some people love their virtual lives and become attached to the Internet so much. (see my signature?)

14. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Right on. This thread has practically become the playground for people to troll each other.

After Lin had a good game, the LOFs would start trolling like...

But then after Lin had a bad game, it became the turn of the LOFHs to troll...

It will never stop.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Can we drop the racist scout card already, it's so overblown at this point it's hilarious

I mean it sucks that Jeremy was not offered a scholarship out of high school, but he ended up in a D1 school anyway and got a Harvard education, and he actually received a lot of media attention because he stood out there, one could argue that if he was in a better college programs he wouldn't have nearly enough playing time to really shine.

and so what if he wasn't drafted, a lot of players go undrafted, Lin got picked up right away by the Mavs to play i the summer league and had 4-5 team offers after that, which he had the luxury of staying in California and play with the Warriors. It's hard for people to really notice you in the NBA when you are average size with not spectacular athleticism, yes race plays a part, but the NBA scouts are pretty much biased towards all non-black athletes, I mean how the hell did Parsons drop to the second round.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

LOL,
    you got me in your signature?
    nice.

17. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

And this is my point. :grin: The man certainly faced more hurdles in the NBA than Jeremy Lin can ever shake a stick at. I do love Yao. :cool:

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Jeremy Lin is the cool christian kid that plays on the basketball team, Yao Ming is fresh off the boat guy who dressed like he's from China.

Yao got it much worse than Jeremy.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

If Linsanity returns in LA, I am personally going to fly out there and punch Jeremy in the nose. Not really, but I would want to. We were so excited to get him here and so excited to see him leave.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine