1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ItsMyFault, Apr 28, 2013.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The majority of the first round match ups are set. 3 in the east that aren't set due to the last game left (Bruins-Senators).

East:

(1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (8) New York Islanders

(2) Montreal Canadiens vs. (7) Ottawa Senators

(3) Washington Capitals vs. (6) New York Rangers

(4) Boston Bruins vs. (5) Toronto Maple Leafs

West:

(1) Chicago Blackhawks vs. (8) Minnesota Wild

(2) Anaheim Ducks vs. (7) Detroit Red Wings

(3) Vancouver Canucks vs. (6) San Jose Sharks

(4) St. Louis Blues vs. (5) Los Angeles Kings

Some really good match ups in the West.

#1 ItsMyFault, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  2. Beavis Stiffler

Tonight's Bruins-Senators game will be played in the same arena building as today's Celtics-Knicks game. The employees, workers, concession people and staff at TD Garden will be very busy.

3. LoganRoxFan

LoganRoxFan Member

I really have a feeling this is the Sharks year.

4. Apps

Apps Member

There couldn't possibly have been a better matchup for the Kings in the first round than the Blues.

BTW, OP, I see you on Hfboards every now and then.

5. ItsMyFault

I think it'll be a great series. Canucks have been playing pretty good as of late, especially at home. Sharks have the goaltending to potentially go far. I love the NHL playoffs because it's like no other -- the most talented teams don't always make it to the Final.

Haha. Yeah. The Hawks fans there hate me though for being "too critical". Nice to see another CFer on there.

6. ReverseBjorn

ReverseBjorn Member

yeah, i'm excited about today. I'm not the biggest wings fan, but that series should be great to watch as well.

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Bryan Bickell!!!

Hawks 2, Wild 1 in OT.

And, I don't really care much for Mike Emrick.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Going with random gut feelings, I'll take:

(1) Pittsburgh Penguins

(2) Montreal Canadiens

(6) New York Rangers

(5) Toronto Maple Leafs

West:

(1) Chicago Blackhawks

(2) Anaheim Ducks

(6) San Jose Sharks

(4) St. Louis Blues

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

(1) Pens
    (7) Ottawa
    (3) Caps
    (4) Bruins

(1) Chicago
    (2) Anaheim
    (3) Vancouver
    (4) STL

10. ItsMyFault

That Kings game was wild. Crazy how it ended - that's going to be one physical series.

11. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

A little late to post but here are my predictions for the playoffs:

Western Conference:

(1) Blackhawks vs (8) Wild

This will be a really good, tough fought matchup against two teams who are good in all aspects of the game. The difference will be Chicago's offense. They have more firepower than the Wild and it will be the Hawks offense that wins this series.

Blackhawks in 6

(2) Ducks vs (7) Red Wings

Ducks are better than the Wings in just about every aspect of the game except defense where there is no clear seperation. Detroit's shortcomings in goal will be their undoing as the Ducks have enough weapons (Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan and Selanne, among others) that will pepper Howard with goals all series long.

Ducks in 5

(3) Canucks vs (6) Sharks

I hate that these two teams are facing off in the first round because outside of the Avs, these are two of my favorite teams to watch. Both teams are full of big names, great vets and all around solid teams. The goal situation in Vancouver is wierd to say the least, but they handled it well all season long so I don't expect that to change in the playoffs. The difference will be defense as the Canucks have multiple options that are not only good in their own zone, but can add to the attack.

Canucks in 7

(4) Blues vs (5) Kings

Another great series that I expect to go to 7. The Kings have pretty much the same squad from last season and we all know what happened then. The Blues are starting to realize their potential and should be a player in the west for years to come. I just can't see the Blues knocking off a solid team like the Kings with all their experience in just their first postseason.

Kings in 7

(1) Blackhawks vs (5) Kings

These two teams meet to open the season and the Hawks owned the Kings. Both teams are solid from top to bottom, but I can't see the Kings defense keeping up with the Blackhawks offense.

Blackhawks in 6

(2) Ducks vs (3) Canucks

While both teams are very good, I look at this series and see a major advantage for the Canucks. That advantage for the Canucks comes at defense. I don't see any pairing for the Ducks that can shut down the Canucks top lines while I see multiple defensive pairings for the Canucks that can contain the Ducks top lines.

Canucks in 5

(1) Blackhawks vs (3) Canucks

These two teams are no strangers to one another in the postseason and I expect another war between these teams. Not much seperates these clubs and I think the deciding factor will be game 7 in Chicago.

Blackhawks in 7

Eastern Conference

(1) Penguins vs (8) Islanders

Most lopsided matchup in all the playoffs. Simply put Isles have no chance.

Penguins in 4

(2) Canadiens vs (7) Senators

Where the Pens/Isels series is the most lobsided in the 1st round, this matchup maybe the tightest. Never been a fan of the way Montreal has built their offense in recent years. While they have made an effort to add size and toughness this year, I still don't see the top end offensive talent to score consistently. With that said, I see them edging out the Sens because of the Sens injuries which will create their own offensive troubles.

Canadiens in 7

(3) Capitals vs (6) New York Rangers

Another good matchup as both teams enter the playoffs playing some good hockey (especially the Capitals). While the Rangers strength is defense, I see the Caps firepower as too much for them to deal with.

Capitals in 6

(4) Bruins vs (5) Maple Leafs

Bad matchup for the Leafs here. Would have been much better had they drawn the Canadiens instead whom they took care of during the regular season. The Bruins are too physical for this Leafs team while still possessing offensive firepower.

Bruins in 5

(1) Penguins vs (4) Bruins

Quality matchup that could easily produce a Stanley Cup winner. Trying to find a fault with either team is a tough task because both teams are solid. Much like the Hawks/Canucks, this one is going to come down to home ice.

Penguins in 7

(2) Canadiens vs (3) Capitals

If you got this far you know how I feel about Montreal. Now instead of Ottawa they are faced with possibly the hottest team entering the playoffs who possess the best individual player heading into the postseason (Ovechkin).

Capitals in 4

(1) Penguins vs (3) Capitals

Last time these two teams meet it was special. I don't expect this to be any different. I expect the stars for each team to shine with offense ruling the series. The Pens just have too much firepower for even a surging Caps team to deal with.

Penguins in 6

Stanley Cup Finals

Chicago Blackhawks vs Pittsburgh Penguins

This is the series everyone wants (between partial fans), this is the best possible matchup this years Cup Finals can produce, and I think were going to see it. Both teams are stacked all across the board. Each team can play physical, smart, fast and possess top end talent. Watching Toews against Crosby will be a treat. Not even going to try and predict in which aspect of the game will draw an advantage for either team. Rather, I just envision this postseason beings Iginla's and one of the games best over the past 2 decades finally getting the Cup.

Penguins in 6

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Senators defenseman Eric Gryba might have earned himself a game off or two. Just destroyed Lars Eller, who's bleeding badly. Alex Galchenyuk went after him almost instantaneously.

Camera (CBC feed on CNBC) turned right to Eller as he laid there... and blood just starts pouring from his head.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Good news.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>(1/2) Lars Eller suffered head and facial injury. He is conscious and alert.</p>&mdash; Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL) <a href="https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/330127538082967552">May 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>(2/2) Eller has been taken to the hospital for further examination and will remain under observation.</p>&mdash; Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL) <a href="https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/330127626314326017">May 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I'm going Pens, Canadiens, Bruins and can't decide between Caps and Rangers.

Pens from the East

West- Blackhawks, Ducks, Canucks and my STL Blues.
    I'd love for the Blues to come out of the West but I gotta go with the Blackhawks.

15. ferrari77

Was it just a routine check?

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Warning: Lots of blood. Hit occurs 7 seconds in.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yNOwP3fUW6c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. ferrari77

Just saw it. Looked clean to me. It seemed like what they'd call a "hospital ball" in soccer or a quarterback throwing the ball in the middle of the field while his receiver is a sitting duck for a big hit from a safety.

Hopefully Eller's injuries won't be too serious but if he was taken to the hospital, damn. Not good.

18. napalm06

Holy CRAP that's a lot of blood. Wow.

Looked like a clean penalty hit. Very glad to hear he's alright.

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Who the hell approved this front page picture and caption?

Awful Announcing

[​IMG]

20. napalm06

That's pretty intense. Can't imagine Montreal fans, as riled up as they are normally anyways, will take kindly to that.