1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I love my Nexus 4, had it since Feb, going to roll with it till it dies on me

been using it on prepaid Net10 service, had some hiccups at first, but has been solid since

cant complain paying $125 for unlimited mins/text/data for 3 lines

the only catch, I use TMob SIM card for my N4 to get unlimited data, and my parents use ATT SIM card for their iPhone 4 which has a cap of 1.5GB, which they don't use that much anyways and dont have to unlock their phones

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yet it has great battery life, an amazing display and it runs all the apps without lag. AND it's unlocked and it has a great camera.

3. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

I really wish I could guarantee myself a Moto X at a Verizon store this weekend :(

4. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Can anyone comment on the performance of the Moto X.

Paging Omega.

Want to get one in Rockets 94-95 colors if possible lol

5. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

just scooped the HTC ONE, today.

it's pretty gnarly. clean as fahq.

6. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

there's no denying that it's a snappy phone, but i can't recommend it over any other top tier phone out there.

for it's price you can just about get an HTC one, s4, the ge variants of those, or a nexus 4. can't believe the rumors in cost to make one @ $212 (more than an iPhone 5).

pros are the always on screen and "ok google now" commands. they're legit. optimization thrives on this hardware and i love the lack of physical nav buttons, but dev support will be minimal for this device unless the bootloader gets unlocked.

screen is extremely saturated.
    front build quality is atrocious (i can verify what sajan was saying about the top and bottom).
    too much space in between gorilla glass and lcd (had a flashback of getting dust underneath the glass on my evo).

sajan mentioned some of the same I'm this post below.

#106 OmegaSupreme, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  7. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Just bought two nexus4's. That price drop is great.

8. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

I need a new phone and I use Verizon.

I'm trying to decide between the Moto X, Droid MAXX, and iPhone 5.

Any suggestions or advice?

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Haven't tried the Moto X myself, but I've seen and heard great things about it. The battery life on that phone is probably going to vary, though it's supposed to have excellent battery life. It depends on what you value though. If you want or need long lasting battery life, I would say go with the MAXX. But if you're a moderate-to-heavy user, the Moto X is a great phone also. I would suggest waiting on the iPhone announcement next week if you're leaning more towards iOS (unless you're just looking to get the iPhone 5 at a lower price after the new one is announced).

Out of these 3 though, I'd recommend the Moto X. Even having not tried it for myself, I think everything I've seen about it makes me want to purchase it also.

10. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

I'm in the market for a new phone. I currently have a iPhone 4s for work and have had HTC Android phones as my personal phone. The 4s is my first iPhone and I am not particularly blown away by it and prefer an Android as my personal phone. I haven't kept up with the newer phones but did some research last night. Here are the current candidates:

HTC One; Galaxy s4; Note 3; Nexus4

Any advice on which one I should get?

I love HTC phones and variants of HTC Sense, but am interested in all the hype Samsung has gotten lately. One of my concerns is getting a phone that quickly becomes outdated like my current myTouch4g.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

HTC One and Galaxy S4 are a wash. You can't really go wrong with either one. I don't really see them as outdated either. The Nexus 4 might be one you may want to put off just because the new Nexus is probably a month or two away. I have the Nexus 4 right now, and I wouldn't call it outdated either because it runs well and really has everything most phones in its class do except for LTE bands from all the major carriers. The Note 3 which has a lot of things leaked already seems like a nice phone. I'd like to see it announced though and then reviewed before I'd make a judgement on it. I think you should try both the One and GS4 out in person and see which one you like better. Or if you can wait a month or two for the new Nexus, then I'd recommend that. Stock android is awesome, ever since I've owned Nexus phones, I really haven't considered buying another phone (except the Moto X).

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Big Screen
    HD Screen
    Amazing batt life

Trust me, you won't regret it.

14. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Yeah, the thing about the case I currently have is that it is extremely tough to get off. It's one of those Systm cases, so I feel a backup battery would be a pain. Bulk I don't mind too much, just not so over done I suppose. All I need is to guarantee I can get through ONE full day of moderate to heavy use.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Waiting for nexus 5

Got nexus 7 and it is awesome.

16. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Thanks for the input. I keep posting getting a new phone but was about to make the jump last weekend on the s4 until I heard the Note 3 might come out. Luckily that made me wait a few days, and now I am starting to like the Nexus 5 a lot as I read more about the rumors. I am fairly proficient with Android and usually root my phones so I think I would prefer a stock Android rather than having to remove all the bloatware or install a clean rom. The only problem is going to be waiting another month or two!

In the meantime, I will check out the Note 3 in person to see how much I like it. Have all your Nexus phones received the most recent Android system when they are released? I love HTC phones, but HTC and the service providers never release the updates and the rom cooks can never get a 100% working rom.

17. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

What phones get updates faster for the android OS?
    HTC?
    Motorola?
    LG?
    Samsung?
    Not counting the nexus phones of course.

18. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

i would say the flagship phones from samsung (galaxy s4) and htc (one) will get updates the fastest, however motorola is now owned by google so they might get the same treatment as the nexus phone.

also the s4 and htc one are both on the google play store, so if you get those versions they will get updates the same time as nexus phones.

nexus 4 owner since it came out, phone is decent but battery life and camera are poverty, hopefully google improves this with their next nexus phone or might have to switch to apple

19. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Definitely waiting for this phone. I love the nexus devices. Somehow though I get this bad feeling it won't be as cheap as the N4 when it originally released. No evidence to support this. Just a bad gut feeling. I just want the LTE because the coverage for LTE t-mobile in HOuston is better than their HSPA+ in some areas.

20. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member