1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Is there a way to watch embedded videos...I can't see any videos on CF with my Lumia :(

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How much is the Google Play Moto X gonna cost?

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Why is there so much disappointment in the Moto X? Everyone pretty much knew all the specs before the phone was released, so why the shock?

I think the only issue with it is the price, off contract ($600)...too high. However, the phone itself seems okay to me.

4. Korver167

Korver167 Member

So should I get the Galaxy S4 or the moto X?

5. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Galaxy S4

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Clearly it's the price. Specs were known beforehand and the hype led many to believe the price would make it a blockbuster.

Wait until next Wednesday for a look at the LG G2 before deciding.

If you are patient and don't have anything against Sony, the Honami should be introduced next month and is expected to be the Android spec champion of 2013.

7. PointForward

PointForward Member

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

As mentioned, the price is disappointing. The specs are OK, but for that price, it doesn't really make the phone that appealing. Needed to be $299 or less.

I might have misread the reviews, but it sounded like the screen and the camera aren't really that great either (even if screen was 720p, I figured it would be a quality 720p screen, but not sure if even that's the case). Some of the features they're showing don't seem to work too well (the "flip" to activate camera, voice controls with multiple Moto Xs around, etc.). Again, all "OK" things, but not something that compares well to the other devices in that price range IMO.

Those phones should be beastly, though I'd also like a new "Nexus 4" range phone. Maybe not top-of-the-line in everything (but pretty close), and priced at $299 or less. Was hoping Moto X could be like that, but guess not.

Google probably just spoiled us all with that. If LG Nexus-fies the G2, that would be pretty nice. Would love a Sony Nexus device too (maybe not on Honami's level, but combining Sony's design + camera + screen tech with stock Android would be nice...especially at these lower price levels).

Would be nice, though I'm worried it won't be released there for a while, and when it does, even if it hits that price, it might not matter as much.

I think that article hit before we knew the price for the Moto X on contract, so not sure if that would influence their thoughts (if you know the phone will be $199 on contract, would that likely make it more difficult to offer it for $299 off contract?).

9. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

has anyone had the galaxy s4 for a while? How is the battery life holding up?

10. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

for that price, no excuse for the moto x to not have top of the line specs

11. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

While the primary processor isn't top of the line spec, I don't know of any other phone with those two secondary processors that are supposed to assist with daily duties to preserve battery life.

I'm waiting for a full review. I think if they achieve the 24 hour battery life they claim and the always listening feature works well, it could get some traction.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Most convincing review of the Moto X I've seen so far.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3ZX8graseUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. BiGGieStuFF

pretty nice mini-review. I've been trying to explain this very thing to most of the people who are bashing the phone. He does a pretty good job. I expect some of those features to be ported to other phones but I doubt the phones will be able to sustain battery life w/o the X8 architecture.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I played a 3-4 minute clip of the video to my 18 year-old son. The customization (and using Nike shoes as a comparison was awesome), notifications after getting the phone out of your pocket (contextual awareness), shaking to activate the camera and always-on Google Now blew him away. He's still in love with his HTC One but was shaking his head.

I don't have any inside info and there are a boatload of rumors of how huge an upgrade it supposedly will be, but Key Lime Pie is expected to incorporate Google Now in a big way. That particular feature of the Moto X may be a KLP preview. Some of the others might be also.

15. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Goldman Sachs: Motorola Moto X price could be $299; device costs $225 to produce

this is one of the many claiming the moto x would be reasonably priced liked the nex4. i think this came out a day or two before the official.

would have loved to own a GPE moto x if it was 300usd.

16. BiGGieStuFF

I wonder if you can train it to just talk out of your pocket. I don't see why not. No need to pull it out. OK GOOGLE NOW, WHAT TIME IS IT?

I mean how many times have you pulled your phone out just to see the time?

17. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

That is incredible! What I like most is that it's a battery sipper with all that functionality.

I'm definitely going to root my S4 to remove all the excess crap and make it more like the X phone. And with the Tasker application, I'm going to try to get the voice activation working similarly

For others who are interested, here's a video from Armando Ferreira demonstrating how he programmed Tasker & Autovoice to act similar to the X Phone. This guy really explains the concept and process well in his other videos:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/r_9-TYIt1JQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/r_9-TYIt1JQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

With a rooted S4 that has the superior hardware, I think the possibilities can go further than the X Phone abilities if you are a good programmer

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

but does anyone actually use voice features? wasn't siri was supposed to be this amazing thing? i have not seen a single iphone 5 owner actually use it..

19. BiGGieStuFF

I use it while walking and driving so I don't have to look down as much. If it gets to where you don't have to touch the phone then it only becomes even more useful I think.

20. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

useful for driving sure...but i really think the whole voice activation stuff isnt going to take off. i think people just think its a little too open to be talking to your phones like they're people.

maybe thats just me.

i think NFC can take off, especially if they can get it refined. as it is now, you have to place tags numerous places and have the phone pretty close too it i think. if they can get it so tags can be placed further away/do more i think you could see it blow up.