1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2013 NFL Draft/4th Rd] Trevardo Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2013.

1. BMoney

BMoney Member

A speed guy from the outside would flush QBs inside against our defense. Inside to JJ Watt.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

It looks like the speed is there, but there are some technique issues to work on. This is a good thing for us.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

I really like both the OLBs that we got. Both incredibly talented, both have the raw measurables. What i really like about the way this draft turned out, is that we really needed another ILB that could cover, so when the Ravens jumped in front of us and grabbed Arthur Brown, i was pretty upset. Brown was the last great cover LB in the draft. But grabbing the safety and using more 3 safety sub packages can really compensate for only having one good cover LB. If Merculus, Montgomery and Williams can hunt the QB, Cush and Brooks should be able to handle the inside.

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

I think so. I like the flexibility of our defense to line up against numerous formations with the same personnel.

More and more teams are giving multiple formation looks every play. Having certain types of hybrid positions
    (OLB/DE)
    (DE/NT)
    (OLB/ILB)
    (OLB/S)
    (CB/S)
    is key to being prepared for what modern offenses are throwing your way.

I think Wade is a defensive genius.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

With the way the NFL is calling the passing games, traditional defenses need to adapt. I think Nickel should be the current base defense against most teams. Dare Denver and NE to take the ball out of Brady and Manning's hands.

With the way the NFL is headed, ILBs are on the way out. If the Texans didn't have Cushing, I would want the Texans to try to play 1 NT, 2 DEs, 3 "OLBs", 2 CBs, and 3 safeties (1 box and 2 centerfielders).