1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob0601

bob0601 Member

Thanks for the podcast! I don't think those 2 guys fully understand the genious of Jeff Luhnow. He as well as Bo Porter have stated multiple times that they're trying to build the Astros into perennial and makes all his moves with that in mind. One of the guys was criticizing him for not fielding any major league talent on this year's team besides Altuve. He even went so far as to suggest that it'd be smarter for us to sign Michael Bourn to a 4 year deal and give up a 2nd round pick. ???? I stopped listening right then because that guy was just spewing a load of cr*p right there. Yeah, the Astros might be alienating a number of casual fans who have no idea who these players are but true fans like myself understand all the moves he's making and see the same LONG TERM goal that Luhnow does. I'm more excited about this season than i've been in a VERY long time and could care less if they lose 100+ games. I just want to see some of the young guys step it up and have a breakout season along with the leadership/guidance that Bo Porter will bring. OH btw, can't be more happy about the switch to Orange/Blue and the H-Star logo. I've been clamoring for that change for YEARS since at least 07'. I boycotted the last years of Drayton's ownership but will now be going to at least a game a week.

GO ASTROS!!!!

2. bob0601

bob0601 Member

Perrenial *WINNER* (Sorry, I don't know how to edit posts yet and cant stand errors)

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Pot head Derrick Coleman work ethic? Let's hope not.

4. The Beard

The Beard Member

Agree . . .IF they allow people other than comcast customers to watch. I love what the franchise is doing because long term, it could set them up for a long run of success. But if they do like the Rockets, and hang us fans out to dry, then they will get what they deserve when it comes to attendance

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Another benefit of being a BA subscriber is that you get to chat with them about top prospects. Here are a few interesting takes from the Astros system chat with John Manuel.

6. Scarface281

Scarface281 Member

If they do like the Rockets? The Astros are most likely the reason why the Rockets aren't on television.

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Yeah... the TV situation, while utterly embarrassing, is not relevant to this thread.

And there's still people thinking that the Astros are to blame? MadMax faints

8. The Beard

The Beard Member

Ok, i'll leave it alone so i don't get banned again . .it's just a tough situation

It's gonna be interesting to see how the Astros handle Deshields, he seems like the perfect leadoff man with Altuve in the 2 hole once the team is ready to be legitimately good . . .but right now both are at 2b . . .would love to see them go ahead and work him in CF

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Ah, another detail I left out of my Handbook posts.... the Astros' 2 ranked international prospects are the fewest of any team. Domingo Santana and Jonathan Villar don't count, and I hope the reason for that doesn't fly over everybody's heads. By contrast, the Rangers have 15.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the Astros draft one of the college pitchers 1-1, where do you think they well send him after signing? By end of next season, I expect Cosart in MLB, Rodon, the 2013 1-1, and McCullers working their way up. It will be nice to have the minors with some top pitching prospects.

11. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Member

Depends on the pitcher. I would expect that Appel could be ready by 2014. Stanek or manaea probably need more development time. I would expect them to start at A+ or AA depending on how aggressive they want to be and if they want to avoid sending elite pitching prospects to Lancaster.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I really wish the Astros would get out of Lancaster.
    I don't like that a park could be an issue with the development of a prospect. I am really hoping for one of the college pitchers this season. The Astros would look top be in a very good position for the 2016 rotation.

13. juicystream

juicystream Member

Rodon will still be pitching at NC St.

I think A ball is where our #1 ends up, with Appel having the potential to go to A+.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

You don't think the Astros would try top get him a little experience after the NC State season is over? I don't think it is a far if am assumption that the Astros will be worst team this year and offer him the moon and stars to sign.

15. juicystream

juicystream Member

I was thinking you meant next season as in the 2013 season, which hasn't actually started. By the end of the 2014 season, I would hope for that, but I don't want to worry about 16 months in the future.

Any draft pick barring injury should see time in the minors the year of their draft now that the deadline is in July.

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Today in his International Reviews series, Ben Badler covered the AL West, and of course, he covered the Astros.

Baseball America: International Reviews: Houston Astros (subscription required)

Note: Ben Badler covers all the signings made during the year 2012, including those before July 2.

The recipient of the largest bonus from the Houston Astros in the 2012-13 signing period was Victor Payano, an outfielder who got a $500,000 bonus. According to Badler, he has some similarities with Red Sox OF Manuel Margot, who had the same trainer as Payano. Margot took the DSL by storm in 2012 and rode that to a #20 ranking in the Sox system in the Prospect Handbook.

IF Kristian Trompiz actually received $320K.

OF Edward Santana got $210K, but Badler notes that he injured his shoulder making a diving catch before the DSL season, and his year was over before it got started. According to Badler, Santana has a more polished approach at the plate than Payano, though he isn't as toolsy.

Jean Estrella got $115K. He is a shortstop, but is probably a better fit at 2B. Farmstros has a "Jean Estriel" in his database; I presume that this is a false name, and "Jean Estrella" is his actual name.

Here's a video of Estrella hitting a homer during the Dominican instructional league. There's also other videos of him in game situations on what appears to be his own YouTube account.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XxxEibV8Xdg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OF Hector Roa, who was born in Washington, DC, got a $110K bonus before July 2 and was a regular in the lineup for the Academy last year, hitting .221/.258/.369 with 4 homers and 14 RBI in 33 games. Badler notes that Roa has some bat speed and power, but needs to improve his swing and approach. He also writes that Roa will probably be a left fielder or 1B in the long-term.

LHP Junior Garcia was the first six-figure signing by the Oz Ocampo regime, receiving $200K.

In addition, the Astros also signed RHP Joselo Pinales and C Oliver Toribio out of the Dominican Prospect League. Pinales got $70,000, and Toribio $33,000. Victor Tavarez, a catcher, was signed alongside Payano, though his bonus details are unknown.

Farmstros also lists Robert Corniel and Chris Santamaria as signing with the Astros, although literally nothing exists on these players. Corniel is a RHP, apparently.

And so, that's the Astros' class of 2012 in Latin America. They also signed Connor MacDonald, a 1B from Australia. He will join the Astros in 2014 after graduating from high school this year.

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

In the Farmstros database, "Jean Estriel" has since been corrected to Jean Estrella. Was an accidental typo.

18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

And "Victor Payano" is a pitcher in the Rangers' organization. The Astros actually signed Luis Payano.

19. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.