1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013/2014 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 13, 2013.

1. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Celtic FC is in the Scottish league, no?

2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Yep. They get to be Kings of the little people now that they made sure Rangers went down.(Rangers played their part in the demise for sure).

Either way, not sure why the heck Dakota is watching the SPL. Did someone force you to do so breh? Can't be much worse in terms of Football torture than watching the SPL. ...But i won't lie, i'd watch cos I'm a footy addict:(

3. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Happy for Liverpool,I think that should be over.
    Glad they will play in the Champions leauge next Season and I feel like they are a piece away to be one of the best in Europe,they should try to get Reus from Dortmund.

4. Panda23

Panda23 Member

it's crap. the giants of scottish football Celtic, would be mid to low tier in the epl.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Moyes sacked.

Can't say I didn't see it coming

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Nothing final yet. Appears it would happen this week if he chooses to ask about it and Giggs would be put in his place for the last game against Norwich.

I was willing to be patient and give him 2014-15 earlier in the season. It's quite clear, though, this job is way too big for for Moyes. This is United. They don't change lineups game after game to adjust to other teams. Other teams adjust to them. He has been playing not to lose since the beginning of the season...which pretty much guarantees you will lose a lot.

7. smr6

smr6 Member

Moyes was the perfect fall guy to follow up Ferguson. Now the next manager won't have to live up to the image of one of the greatest managers of all time, he will simply have to be better than Moyes.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So van Gaal can pick either Man U or Barca now, right?

9. The Stig

The Stig Member

Well I can't say its surprising.

Sir Alex always said that the manager is going to held accountable if he loses control of the locker room. Words that the players are "disillusioned" by Moyes's leadership should be a huge red light that he isn't the right man to lead the club. That and the results this season, but hell, the squad is very unbalanced so I wasn't expecting much out of them.

10. The Stig

The Stig Member

Blanc, Klopp, Rijkaard, van Gaal, Hiddink should be on the shortlist.

They need to rebuild the style of play because the last couple of years, there wasn't really any style of play that United deployed on teams.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

If Liverpool can beat Chelsea... they can go no lower than 2nd place. And all they need in their last 2 games is a draw to win the EPL.

The Chelsea game will determine whether they'll win the league or not. Get well fast Sturridge!

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

This is the worst news to wake up to - Moyes sacked? He deserved one more year!

Come on United, I'm sure Harry Redknapp is available.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

So it's official with the club tweeting the news

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>BREAKING: Manchester United announces that David Moyes has left the club. (part 1 of 2) <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23mufc&amp;src=hash">#mufc</a></p>&mdash; Manchester United (@ManUtd) <a href="https://twitter.com/ManUtd/statuses/458508081039962112">April 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" lang="en"><p>BREAKING: The club would like to place on record its thanks for the hard work, honesty and integrity he brought to the role. (part 2 of 2)</p>&mdash; Manchester United (@ManUtd) <a href="https://twitter.com/ManUtd/statuses/458508276674879488">April 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The legendary manager never got to show his true worth.

15. The Stig

The Stig Member

Best of luck to David Moyes. It just wasn't meant to be.

Time to look forward and forget about the past. The club needs serious rebuilding and the next appointment will have to be a good one.

Blanc and Klopp will be the first two names on my shortlist, followed by Simeone, Conte, van Gaal, Rijkaard, and Hiddink.

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I think everything is setting up for the club to go with the one manager that has been pimping for the job all year. Van Gaal.

Only two of those managers will be out of work at the end of the summer and that's LVG and Rijkaard. No way Frank gets the job over LVG.

Hiddink already has a job for next season- returning as Dutch National Team manager once LVG leaves after the WC.

I doubt the Glazers will want to put forth the money to buy out Blanc, Klopp, Simeone or Conte when they can just sign up LVG for free to manage their team. Plus, if the reports from Holland are accurate, they already set everything in motion by meeting with Van Gaal last week.

I believe Van Gaal is also the favourite with the bookmakers in England.

All that's left is for a deal to be announced and United to start planning for next season. (Even though I figure they've been planning for next season since the start of the new year).

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Klopp today said he is not available and will stay at Dortmund for a lot more years.

It's unbelievable how often his name comes up when a coach is sacked. Yea he's a good coach, but he repeatedly stated he will stay with BVB for a long time.

18. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Notes absolutely played the wrong players vs Everton. "Hey here comes the team with two of the best attacking defensive wings...I will use some of my guys who are slower and have no interest in tracking back." Brilliant.

19. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

The big problem with Van Gaal is that he is coaching in the World Cup. United are in need of a number of summer signings, that ideally would be wrapped up before the World Cup even begins. We'd be scrambling to make additions after the World Cup with Van Gaal.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I think this is good timing. New manager has the whole summer to devise a plan to get this club where it should be and that is at the top challenging