1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2013-14] Western Conference Standings Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Feb 10, 2014.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

We can't pass both the Clippers and the Blazers Wednesday

2. Dogtag

Dogtag Member

yes we can if clipper wins and we win, because we will still have a higher win% while tide with blazers, since we have tide breaker that put us at 3rd seed:)

3. Dogtag

Dogtag Member

if clipper wins their win% 0.673
    if rockets wins our win% 0.679

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Can we just not jinx it? Call it superstitious. We are capable of reading the schedule and having a mental celebration or not, are we. Not a fan of AAA clubbing this sort of things.

5. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

If we lose to the wiz, superstition has nothing to do with it.

6. vladyx92

vladyx92 Member

With a win tomorrow and a Blazers loss, we would be the 3rd seed. For everyone who has a doubt, please refer to NBA.com - Standings. You will see the criteria for seeding and breaking ties.

I think 3rd seed would be fair for the Rockets, given the quality of play we've shown over the course of the season. With a healthy and fully engaged Omer Asik, this team can push for 2nd. I don't believe we can catch OKC under any circumstances.

7. highlander3128

This ^

I also think it is better for us if the Blazers win tomorrow against the Clippers. That will strengthen our position in the race to the HCA.

8. JD88

JD88 Member

9th in the West has as many wins as 3rd in the east.

9. meh

meh Member

I'm glad things are looking away from the worst case scenario, which is Clippers on the road in the 1st round.

I don't ask for much. 2nd round appearance and I'll be content. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

10. Asian Sensation

I'm honestly not too worried about seedings since we're Gellin like Magellan BUT it would be super nice to play Phoenix or Dallas in round 1 so we can end it in 4 or 5 and get the guys some rest. The matchup I'd hate the most is Clippers. Avoid at all costs.. Jamal Crawford is the new certified Rocket Killer. Think Jet Terry as most recent example.

11. calcium

calcium Member

I didnt think this would be the case.

In order to get a seeding, we have to either
    * finish ahead of Spurs
    OR
    * finish ahead of the Blazers.

Clippers will be seeded regardless, as long as they finish top of their division.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It doesn't matter what the Clipper do since they're assured a top 4 seed as long as they hold off the Warriors..Clippers are 18 games above .500 and Warriors are only 10 games above so this seems likely with the return of Chris Paul. The only way Rockets can break into the top 4 is if the Spurs or Blazers start losing so I'm going to be rooting against the Blazers.

13. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

It's not about seeding, its about HCA. They can be the 4 and us the 5 and we still get HCA.

14. ImmortalNemesis

I'm also hoping for a Clippers win tonight. That would put Houston at the 3rd spot. Clippers aren't going to cool off especially with Chris Paul returning.

It's better if Portland starts losing and Houston takes their spot at the 2/3/4. Houston also needs to win these 'easy' games against weaker opponents. Have you guys looked at the upcoming schedule?

Brutal. Miami twice, Indiana, Clippers, OKC and Golden State. Anyway, Houston just needs to avoid facing LA in the 1st round. HCA or no HCA, that's a guaranteed first round exit. lol

15. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

The Clippers are scary, no doubt.

But we lost to them at the beginning of the season.

I would like to see our gelled team face them now.

Until then, I'm not worrying.

16. Gil

Gil Member

They owned us pretty badly last year too.

17. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Last year was without Howard.

Not passing my judgement until we face them after the All Star break.

18. bongman

bongman Member

Curios what the media reaction would be once we get the 3rd seed. All season long, they have been yapping about how good the blazers and spurs based on their record. We have caught up with them and I haven't heard anybody in the media mention this as anything significant.

19. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

I agree, they don't have any depth. Their starters give us problems, most notebly Paul flopping against an aggressive Bev, but Dwight has progressed since the beginning of the season. Lin, DMo, and Asik should reek havoc on their 2nd unit. What scares/annoys me is how many b**** players they have on their team that get under your skin. Matt Barnes, Sasha Vujacic, Paul, Jared Dudley.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=250375

Just three games ago, the Rockets were the most disappointing team in the NBA according to NBA.com. I have heard that the Rockets are unlucky to be hot at the All Star Break from National media, but that's about it from a positive note.