1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2013-14] Western Conference Standings Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I definitely do not want to sound like a downer, but we have no choice but keeping winning. As well as the Rockets have done in the past 10 games, there is only 5-6 games separating the 3rd and 8th seed, so any streak could be significant, either way, unfortunately. For example, the freaking Mavs have 35 wins already and absolutely nobody is talking about them. BTW, I am not worried about the Mavs, but is just an illustration of how clustered these playoff teams are.

Take one game at a time, and just play hard ball from now. If the ball is not going in, you can always rely on tough, suffocating defense, until the offense rolls.

There are reasons to be optimistic, but also reasons to be worried, especially the next 10 games. If the Rockets go 7-3 in the next 10, they will be in great shape for the playoffs.

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I hear ya. Rockets have an extremely tough schedule the next ten games and going anything less than 6-4 would be devastating for our chances at a top four seed.

Rockets just gotta keep winning.

3. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

I keep SMH when I look at the West and then look at the East.

The Grizzlies 2 games out of the playoffs in the West is actually good enough to be 3rd in the East!

Even though we are 3rd right now but we could drop out to 7th with a few bad games.

4. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Member

PHX loses tonight but man I was hoping the Nuggets would do us a solid.

5. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Games&nbsp;&nbsp;H2H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;Div&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Con&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Overall&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Magic&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</B>
    <B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Team&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W/L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L10&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;H2H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Left&nbsp;&nbsp; TB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Div&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;TB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Conf&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;TB&nbsp;&nbsp;TieBreak&nbsp;&nbsp;Number &nbsp;Diff</B>
    &nbsp;1&nbsp;OKC&nbsp;Thieves&nbsp;&nbsp;43-14&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6-4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;0-2&nbsp;&nbsp;1H,1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;26-9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;30</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    &nbsp;2&nbsp;Spurs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;40-16&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7-3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3-0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8-3&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;24-10&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;27</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    &nbsp;3&nbsp;Rockets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;39-18&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-4&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;23-15
    &nbsp;4&nbsp;Clippers&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;39-20&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6-4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;0-2&nbsp;&nbsp;1H,1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;22-11&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;24</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    &nbsp;5&nbsp;Blazers&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;39-18&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5-5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;22-14&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;26</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    &nbsp;6&nbsp;Warriors&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;35-22&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7-3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;21-16&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;21</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    &nbsp;7&nbsp;Mavericks&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;35-23&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8-4&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;17-15&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;21</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    &nbsp;8&nbsp;Suns&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;33-23&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5-5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;21-15&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;20</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-2)
    &nbsp;9&nbsp;Grizzlies&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;31-24&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6-4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;2-11&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;18-18&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;19</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    10&nbsp;Wolves&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;28-29&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5-5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-0&nbsp;&nbsp;1H,1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;15-22&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;15</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    11&nbsp;Nuggets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;25-31&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1-0&nbsp;&nbsp;1H,1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;13-20&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;13</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-2)
    12&nbsp;Pelicans&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;23-33&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3-7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-0&nbsp;&nbsp;1H,1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3-8&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-23&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    13&nbsp;Jazz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;20-36&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4-6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10-26&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    14&nbsp;Kings&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;20-37&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5-5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;11-25&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-2)
    15&nbsp;Lakers&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;19-38&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3-7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-22&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-2)

* Indicates the Tie Break is final

Here is the latest batch of Magic Numbers after all games were played on <B>2/25</B>.

Well, the Rockets certainly came out to play and look primed and ready to take on the Clippers tomorrow night. All Magic Numbers drop one, and the Kings get docked a second point for the loss. Suns, Nuggets, and Lakers all lost and drop another Number..

There's another thing that really caught my eye. The Rockets currently own the tie breaker over every team in the West except the Clippers and Thieves. Some of those could change as conference and division records change, but we have clinched the 2 team tie break over the Spurs, Warriors, Suns, Grizz (because we've clinched a better division record), and Pelicans. We are one home win from clinching over the Blazers. That is a pretty impressive feat, and they should be commended.

We are getting close to first blood. Lakers, Kings, and Jazz should fall soon. I am so looking forward to finally seeing the Lakers officially crossed off the board.

Such a big game tomorrow, and it would be one hell of an exclamation point on a pretty impressive run. I would love to get three games separation (in the loss column) with the Clippers.

Huge night for the Western Conference with Warriors at Bulls, Pelicans at Mavs, Lakers at Grizz, Cavs at Thieves, Pistons at Spurs, Suns at Jazz, and Nets at Blazers

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Member

can you explain the magic number to me?p, what's the goal of it?

7. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

Magic Numbers represent the combined number of Rocket wins and opponent losses needed to have the Rockets clinch a better seed than them. An additional point gets docked from the opponent if the Rockets clinch the 2 team tie break over that team.

So any total of 6 Rocket wins and Laker losses, and we will officially clinch a better standing than the Lakers.

It's a fun way of tracking the race.

8. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Scribo, thanks for doing this. I love keeping track of all this and you've made it really easy. Props! can't wait to see teams start falling off the board. Just keep winning, just keep winning

9. Houstunna

Houstunna Mr Graphix
    Supporting Member

Rockets' 9-1 is the league's best record for the L10 column.

Keep on winning!!

10. count_dough-ku

And yet look at how little ground we've made up in the standings. We're technically in 3rd, but still tied record-wise with the 5th seeded Blazers. This conference is insane.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

With Portland getting it back together Rockets are in a dogfight to even maintain the 5th seed. Screw the West.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

See y'all next season if we get the Clippers in Round 1 LOL

13. Downtown Sniper

Rockets need to throw the last few games if it appears likely they'd be the 5 in a 4VS5 matchup with the Clippers.

14. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

We need to be experimenting more with Asik and Dwight on the floor together in case we face the Clippers in the playoffs. D-Mo and Jones have no shot defending Blake.

15. HTM

HTM Member

Such BS how unbalanced the schedule is... the Rox have 20 B2B's while teams we are in direct competition with have

OKC:15
    GSW:15
    Dallas:16
    LAC:17

IMO, this is a big deal.. I'm tired of playing big match ups (OKC, Clips) on the 2nd night of B2B's while they are rested and prepped.

We have the most B2B's of any western conference play-off team.

I mean, C'mon.

@ Portland
    @Dallas x 2
    @San Antonio
    @GSW
    vs OKC, @ OKC
    @ LAC

8 huge WC games all on B2B's

This isn't right.

16. NateNate

NateNate Member

Great point! I didn't even realize that. I thought we all played the same number of back-to-backs. I thought it was just my imagination that all our b2b's are against really good teams.

17. count_dough-ku

Why is the schedule drawn up that way? And why were the B2Bs all front-loaded? You look at the upcoming schedule. We get 2 nights off before Detroit comes to town. Then 2 more nights before Miami. And recently there was a stretch where the Rockets played only 3 times in 10 days after a series of B2Bs. Why not make it one night between games and then get rid of some of the earlier B2Bs?

18. clippy

clippy Member

There are always schedule quirks tho. Clipps had two 7+ game road trips this year... That ain't fair. Altho in their heydey tha Lakers always seemed to have the fewest back to backs so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a method to this madness.

19. count_dough-ku

Portland will fade once they play both of their upcoming 5-game road trips. It's the Clippers who concern me. Their remaining schedule isn't that tough. We do have one more game with them at home which is obviously a must-win to have any shot at finishing ahead of them.

What's scaring me though is that OKC could fall back to 2nd if they keep having problems. Right now the seedings are perfect for the Rockets if they move back into 3rd(or 2nd place). We'd avoid the Clippers and/or Thunder for 2 rounds. That could all change very quickly though.

20. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

So the Rockets have 8 games against the 10-15 seeds left and 5 vs the 1-4. Nice.