1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Warmest Year on Record for US

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whatever, all this "science" is a big fat lie. Don't tell me it's warming when there's ice on the poles! Silly liberals!. I will believe global warming when Florida is under two feet of water and Obama was born in Hawaii!

-bigheadupmytexxx

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

:confused:

Let me get this straight. If youre republican and you don't believe in global warming, against gun control, pro life, pro zimmerman, ect ... , you're just a dumb blind person who can't form their own options.

If youre liberal and believe in global warming, pro choice, gun bans, anti zimmerman, gay rights, ect..., you're well educated and "right".

The reality is that very few subjects are black and white. If you can't debate the gray, then you're just another blind person who can't form their own opinions.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I like to think it wasn't so party-specific. We're so polarized these days that opinions on non-data-issues (abortion, gay marriage, philosophical role of government) recruit the exact same people in the exact same split as the should-be-data-driven issues (like global warming on the one hand, and GMO foods on the other, where the far-left is equally anti-data to the far right on the climate stuff.)

It's interesting.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:rolleyes:
    Yes because NC = Global.
    Hey it's January 11th and it's raining in Minneapolis so that trumps your NC data.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

:rolleyes: What do you mean?

I keep hearing the world climate is going downhill but we in NC have had hotter average temperatures a hundred years ago and seventy years ago and fifty years ago and thirty years ago....

The US trend is only made up of the collective statewide trends. I just happened to be interested in mine and it unfortunately contradicts the claims being made.

6. Major

Major Member

I have to agree with Giddyup here. People tell me if that if I flip a coin, it will land heads about 50% of the time. But I just flipped a coin 3 times and got 3 tails, so I'm pretty sure this contradicts that claim.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

we are arguing with people who think homosexuality is a sin....there's no way rational thought will ever win out with this group

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

In giddyup's world, each coin flip must be exactly half heads and half tails -- otherwise mathematics is all lies.

Having him arguing against aggregate data was a real breakthrough moment for me in BBS history. So his mindset will only accept the idea that the globe is warming if every region, every county, every town has its warmest year on record each subsequent year. God help us if it ever gets to that point (well, perhaps when the sun goes to red giant phase. :))

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The funny thing is by the time these guys accept global warming, it will be long too late to do much of anything. Heck, it probably is already too late.

I ask myself, what if it is too late, what should we do then? Probably better start really going on that fusion power thing.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If only this post made a point that was relevant in any way...

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

you have an amazing understanding of statistics.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Giddy is a teacher right? What subject do you teach Giddy?

13. myco

myco Contributing Member

Probably the same course jopatmc was an "expert" in.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

probably teaches Stat 101. Haha.

Lesson 1: Did you know that if it rains in NC, it means it's raining everywhere?

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No just if he himself is experiencing it. His own experience clearly outweighs all the other data out there.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

This whole topic depresses me, even though I won't lack for fire business between now and the time I retire.

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

By the way Giddy, NC is not immune...

I got married in Duck and spent a lot of time on the Outer Banks when I was younger. What happens in NC is important to me.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He teaches the science course, Anecdotes 101.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I'm going to miss OBX - lots of great memories there, except lately when I got stuck because highway 12 keeps getting freaking washed out now. Oh, but that has nothing to do with global warming.