1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Warmest Year on Record for US

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It actually makes total sense, psychologically speaking. They cling to the past - anything pre scientific data is mystical and anything in the future is scary and likely to be worse.

What's scary is that it is very seriously dangerous. My experience with conservative Muslims is worrisome in the sense that it is impossible to gather any urgency from them except when it is something which contradicts their blueprint path to judgement day - and even then, they will simply support the side of the argument which fits their blueprint. If it aligns with the blueprint already, they will not fight it with any urgency because in a way it is "destiny".

So say for example you try to convince a very conservative Muslim that the world could easily end with nuclear warfare without Jesus ever showing up. This is a preposterous notion to them, so much so than they don't just disagree, but they refute it vehemently. To them it's impossible, it can not happen. However, in their blueprint, there is a prediction of a final victory for Muslims in a giant war under the leadership of Jesus - this roughly fits into the blueprint and therefore pushing for war is a tempting proposition to them. Subconsciously, they believe that there will be a winner in such a war, and the imminence of such a war is prelude to the return of Jesus - an event which most Muslims dream of witnessing. The idea that most of the world is eradicated through nuclear warfare does not exist in their reality. The idea that global warming could ultimately make earth uninhabitable does not exist in their reality.

I find that a similar pattern exists among conservative Christians and Jews. Very worrying and I suspect it is a big reason why there is relatively little opposition to the massive levels of WMD proliferation going on in the world.

2. RedRespect

RedRespect Contributing Member

I'm just hoping for more good cold weather here in Houston before Spring hits.
    A freeze to help kill off some of the bugs would be great. My dog was tortured with all of the fleas last summer.

3. Nook

Nook Member

The only substantive difference between conservative Muslims, conservative Jews and Conservative Christians are the faith they were born into. The mind set and thought process is the exact same.

4. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Yes. Yes, you should.

[​IMG]

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

heli ben is in the flesh last time I checked, it's kinda hard not to believe in the concept of a heli ben when he's doing money drop press conferences like a broboss.

however, I personally prefer---

[​IMG]

"we in this business of terror!"

6. SeabrookMiglla

i dont believe in the world war warming crap, sounds to me like a bunch of pot smoking hippies are coming up with a scary sci fi movie at berkeley.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

douche-bags make sarcastic jokes about science.

8. fchowd0311

O you arent the gullible type. You must also not believe in the fairy tale Jesus stories also...

9. fchowd0311

also... A Hollywood science fiction film would condense the end of the world into a 1 day event. Global Warming is a downward spiral that will take 100s of years. Nothing dramatic about it. Its actually rather anti-climatic. And being educated and being a scientist does not equal being a hippie pot smoker you douche.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Aren't you Muslim? Are you aware that Jesus is considered a prophet in Islam?

11. fchowd0311

My family is Muslim... I gave up on religion. This will come surprisingly to you but my family took it pretty well.

12. fchowd0311

Just saying I live in northern Massachusetts, about 30 minutes north of Boston, and spring came early for us. We are about to get highs in the 50s. The average high in January here is 33 degrees. Beautiful weather though.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Again . . . How long is the record?

Rocket River

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Rocket River,

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/cag3/legends.html

If this is the correct site for the OP, NOAA is saying their period covers 1895-2012.

Global data sets using ice cores, etc, go back hundreds of thousands of years, but not for just one country.

Personally, I'm more interested in the long view and the global view than just one country. One datum has never been very relevant to a climate discussion, be it cold or warm. It's all about: knowing the underlying science, trying to determine long-term trends, (and now) prayer.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Edit: Here are the Australian fires:

[​IMG]

As an aside, the fire season down there is kicking everyone's backside. We may be sending folks there shortly.

#36 rimrocker, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

the part that is strange to me is that if you dont believe in global warming somehow this means that you are against abortion, pro gun etc. It's a weird incongruent set of beliefs that have nothing to do with each other. From the outside folks that follow this party line all the way down the list look like no brains, stupid asses.

Like they can't form their own opinion on something.

It's like "well what is the party line on this?"... "yeah that's what I think too.. ra ra ra!"

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's just crazy. Wouldn't exactly be the way you'd want to tour Australia, would it, rimrocker.

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

No, but if you go, they give you all kinds of free jackets, t-shirts, and patches. So, there's that.

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

#40 giddyup, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013