1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

2012 NBA Championship Tainted?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jman7373, May 5, 2012.

1. jman7373

jman7373 Member

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

If Miami wins it more people will say it's tainted than lets say a team like Oklahoma City winning it.

But no it isn't tainted.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Every championship the Rockets did not win was tainted in my book. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. VBG

VBG Member

It's only tainted if Miami wins.

But seriously, it's not tainted. **** happens. The best teams deal with it. Do you need luck? Yeah, of course. EVERY TEAM needs luck.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Sadly its true.
    Never mind how badly LeBron thrashed the Bulls last season, its all about hating the Heat.

6. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

No it's not tainted at all.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No. Injuries are part of the game. LeBron's durability is a big part of what makes him such a great player, so he shouldn't be penalized just because the competition gets injured.

8. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Totally agree. But I wonder what James/Heat would say if James got hurt now and missed the rest of the playoffs, causing the Heat to lose.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Any championships he wins now with Miami will be tainted

I'm pretty sure he's aware of it when he ditched Leaveland

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I would like to think what makes a player great are the things can control (physical shape, hard work, mental discipline, practice time, ect) not the things he cant (injury proneness, physical makeup, athleticism, height, ect)

Durability is simple luck of his genes. Some players have it, some dont. But ultimately, your greatness is measured by those you compete against. If Miami mows down one depleted injured team after another, it wont go down as one of those historic titles. If they win, they deserve the title. But it wont be one of those anyone talks or remembers as being a legendary climb to championship stardom a decade or two from now.

1 person likes this.
  11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Rose played terrible against the Heat in last seasons playoffs. I don't think it would've made a big impact.

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Because what happened last year absolutely, without a doubt will happen this year?

Every season, series, game is different. James shot better from 3pt in the 2011 playoffs than his career average whereas Rose shot worse. Players go on slumps or got hot.

While this season should not be tainted and many people will do anything to hate on the Heat, precluding a result is the wrong reason to make any determination on this season.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

LerBon's career has been tainted the moment he went pro basketball. He's really a dancer.

1 person likes this.
  14. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

no championships are tainted. luck is part of every season and unlucky teams have to deal with injuries. but everyone played the same season.

i believe the miami heat should just be named the champs for the next 4 years. just skip the playoffs and the season. smart teams are tanking and rebuilding during this era of stacked teams.

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

People don't seem to get this. I guess because it happened one season, it's bound to happen again. Right? I just don't see the logic in that.

And no. No season has an asterik on it. That's just stupid.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Does anyone say Jordan's championships are tainted because he lucked into some great genes? Does anyone say that about Hakeem?

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

No, And I am not either. Look at my post. Those guys were great because of physical shape, hard work, mental discipline, practice time, ect

Did I say anything about tainting?

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The Rockets '94 championship probably would NOT have happened

had it not been for Mount Mutombo and the Nuggets upsetting the Sonics, the Rockets KRYPTONITE.

(And yeah on 'that' debate again, Rockets were much MORE scared of the SONICS than the Chicago Bulls then. That to me is the real "asterisk" :))

Also, its the owners locking out the players. There'd be more taintedness if the players themselves went ON STRIKE

19. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

That's weak, you don't put asterisks next to titles. I'm sure if they did, nobody would care, because they beat whoever was in front of them.

20. lalala902102001

10 years from now nobody would care what happened and who got injured in the playoffs this year. The only thing people will remember is who won it. A championship is a championship.