1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Houston Dynamo thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by FrancisFan3, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Dynamo with the win.

Two straight road wins. Loved all the seagulls cutting across the camera.

2. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

2 down, 5 to go before the 1st home game in the new stadium.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

We might be able to tailgate at Dynamo games at the New stadium.

http://www.khou.com/news/Houston-mayor-moves-to-legalize-tailgating-downtown-143415506.html

HOUSTON—Soccer and tailgating go together like, well, football and tailgating. Houston Dynamo fans crowd the parking lot of Robertson Stadium before every game, boozing up and chowing down in a pre-game tradition.
    But a little known wrinkle in Houston’s code of ordinances that has caught the eye of everyone from city bureaucrats to city council members stands in the way of that game-day ritual. Oddly enough, tailgating outside the new soccer stadium is illegal.
    “I understand it’s against city ordinances at this point,” said Brian Ching, the Dynamo forward who is the team’s star player. “So hopefully we can sort that out and our fans can get back to doing what they love.”
    That’s what the city’s political leaders expect to do this week. Houston’s mayor and city council will consider amending city ordinances to essentially allow tailgating outside downtown sports venues.
    The curious legal problem traces back to a broadly worded section of the city’s code of ordinances. With broad, but very specified exceptions, it basically bans public drinking in downtown Houston.
    “It shall be unlawful for any person to be in possession of an open container in the central business district,” according to the city’s code. “It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in the public consumption of any alcoholic beverage in the central business district.”
    The ordinance makes exceptions for drinking in homes, privately owned buildings, motor vehicles or any place licensed by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission. It does not, however, make an exception for sports fans drinking in a parking lot.
    The amendment going before city council would allow drinking at team-sponsored events outside downtown sports stadiums. Although city officials say it would apply not only to the Dynamo but also the Rockets and Astros, spokesmen for the baseball and basketball teams say they have no plans for any tailgating events.
    People who live and work around the new Dynamo stadium generally support the change. After all, it’s an area whose bars and nightclubs are part of its attraction to new residents.
    “I think it’ll be great for the city, great for this area, especially, because it’ll bring a lot more vibrancy to the old warehouse district,” said Jared Smith, who works in the neighborhood.

4. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

If this gets passed, Houston might be the first U.S. city to have all major pro sports teams to have tailgate parties. I can imagine a Clutchfans and Red Rowdies tailgate party outside Toyota Center. I'm all for it.:)

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Fixed. ;)

6. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

Gracias.

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

The NBC sports boom mics are really sensitive. I just heard someone drop a f***** bomb by a dynamo at the 7th minute mark of the game.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

It's not our fault Santos beat them 6-0... :mad: I hate Drew Carey. :eek: That is all.

11. DrLudicrous

Apparently that was Colin Clark yelling at a ball boy.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

and now, of course, he has to apologize profusely to the oversensitive public.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/ml...k-sorry-gay-slur-seattle-sounders-fc-ball-boy

i'm not saying it's right, but every time somebody screams that, it isn't meant to disparage the gay community. it has gradually become a generic curse word, like "assh*le" and "mother*****er". people have potty mouths, and these are words that roll off of their tongues and are in heavy rotation in their vocabulary. it doesn't mean that they all hate gays, moms, and bodily orifices.

13. DrLudicrous

The difference is that ******* or mother****er aren't words meant to degrade a certain group of people. Comparing it to a racial slur would be more appropriate, and hopefully wouldn't be tolerated either.

And regardless of what he called him, I would hope a grown man would be above treating a kid like that. If he wants to cuss out other players, or refs, or coaches that's fine, but have enough self respect to not cuss out a 12 year old.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

that's what i'm saying though...he wasn't using it to degrade gay people. are you saying that he was saying to the kid "i'm prejudiced against gay people, and you are one of them?" it has become a generic curse word with no real meaning. discretion and context should be taken into consideration by the gay community and anybody else who is hypersensitive anytime this word slips out of somebody's mouth publicly. apples and oranges compared to racial slurs.

agree with the 2nd part though.

15. DrLudicrous

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

lol, wow.

didn't think that picked up steam.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

don't want to derail the dynamo thread with a discussion that should be in the hangout, but, what do you think the fallout would be if one public white figure called another public white figure the "N"-word?

18. DrLudicrous

If Clark would have called a black ball boy that he'd probably already be suspended/fined.

And I agree, there's no reason to derail this thread, I think it's safe to say we have a difference of opinion and leave it at that.

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

That to me is the sad part about this topic(apart from the fact the insult was directed at a ball boy), it's unfortunate that it becoming a "generic" curse word can be accepted in any way. Shouldn't be tolerated at all, there's TONS of other curse words for people to use.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Clark calling a child any kind of name is unacceptable

but the word he used is not something I have a big problem with. The word "***" was not originally created directly for homosexuals, but it evolved into meaning such things. Is it so outlandish that the word has evolved since then to mean something else? Being in my 20s, I don't know anyone in my age group or below me that uses the word to refer to homosexuals. Like others have said, the definition today is more like "ass hole."