1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 GOP Presidential Primary

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Wait a second.

Jim Demint is a possible choice? The guy who was a complete ******* in that healthcare speech?

Good god, I'm glad I left the GOP.

Really, it's too early. I don't like how these thing are becoming earlier and earlier.

2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

See this exactly what I pointed in my earlier post. Some people continue to insist on a "moderate" Republican or whatever that is. Even tough, history shows that moderate Republicans have failed in every single election e.g. McCain and Dole.

This is what I have been warning against but many take it as joke or some "conspiracy." The fact is that a moderate Republican president is an extinct specie. Reagan put an end to that by giving us the blueprint on how to win as a solid conservative. My only regret is Reagan let a guy like Bush Sr rid his coattail to the presidency and give rise to the NeoCon disaster that was Bush Jr.

Sorry folks, give me a true conservative who can deliver victory. I want none of these phony halfway moderates the media and lefties tell you to get behind so we can lose the election just like 2008.

3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

How is Huckabee any better then Palin? He may not be AS stupid, but he also is part of the "intelligence is EVIL" crowd that has infected the GOP, and he's much more of a crazy religious nutjob than Palin.

I guess I speak as someone who despises populism, but Palin and Huckabee are the ultimate symbols of a movement that is part of the GOP lock, stock, and barrel today. He's no better for this country than Palin would be.

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Obviously, I do not want this thread to turn into one of the million other Palin hate threads. That is all.

Dude, there is no exclusivity in the D&D. After all, this is the monkeys slinging poo at each other forum we are talking in, right? Anyway, if you look around, there are literally hundreds of threads owned and operated by libs which are nothing more than attacks on the Tea Party, GOP, Republicans, Conservatives etc...

Once in a while, a good discussion among the few Republicans here without liberals trolling, is a not a bad idea especially if it involves GOP primaries where liberals are not a factor. I guess that is too much to ask for, right?

Again, I was speaking of liberal trolls e.g. glynch and his various monikers. I am definitely open to a nice, healthy discussion with the sane liberal posters here. I hold no grudge toward the intelligent and articulate liberal. It's the kamikaze drive-by lib who I really have no desire to communicate with.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

we are going ot have stagflation and possibly a double dip recession by 2012, whoever the GOP nominates will win

6. Steve_Francis_rules

That must be why the last Democratic nominee for Vice President spent all his time saying Republicans weren't "real Americans" and that the Republican nominee liked to "pal around with terrorists." :rolleyes:

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Much better choice. I'd vote for him.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

don't get too excited about that prospect.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yep that a real patriot hoping for the worst for America

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No we aren't. over the next year the unemployment rate will drop by about half a point. Then by the time the election is in November it will drop another whole percentage point. Obama will win a second term.

I realize that my figures come from actual study of the situation by a non-partisan group and your prediction comes from your own wild guesses but never the less there are two sides.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I love it when people who get their economics from dimly repeating what Ron Paul says, who dimly repeats what he learns from a mediocre hedge fund manager in Stamford, who dimly repeats what he thinks a bunch of dead Austrians said- mention stagfaltion, like it's a magical talisman that will rouse Ronny Reagan from his grave to smite all eveil (actually it was Voelker who "tamed" staglfation but we're talking fantasy here anyway).

I mean it's ok to dimly repeat what people say, I do it all the time, but at least choose something that has some connection to reality. Dimly repeat Friedman at least. At least the parts that are right.

Keep predicting it every year guys, hopefully you'll eventually be correct:

http://bbs.clutchfans.com/showthread.php?p=3394259&highlight=stagflation#post3394259

I propose that you stop working and continue consuming in order to hasten it. Then we can write a book about your experiences.

I shall call it: "Atlas Sharted"

2 people like this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

LOL. That's a good read.

ghettocheese, you won't believe it, and I'm sure I'm lumped in with everyone else who every disagrees with you as a "liberal," but some of us honestly want the best possible candidates for the presidency.

So i'm interested in the GOP primary. We need two strong and sane parties to get out of the mess we're in, or as close to strong and sane parties as we can get.

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Refman/MadMax, I would vote for that ticket!

14. Major

Major Member

I'm not suggesting it - I'm telling you that's the guy most likely to be competitive. The GOP can nominate whoever they want. As an Obama supporter, I would love a Jim Demint - he'd be easy to crush. A hard-right conservative simply can't win and more than a hard-left Democrat (think Dennis Kucinich). Both Bushes won as relative moderates, as did Obama and Clinton. Ideologues simply don't win national elections. Look at Barry Goldwater as an example of what happens when you nominate one. It serves a great purpose to re-focus the party, but it's not a winning strategy.

To use your example, McCain lost because he faced Obama and an angry-with-the-GOP electorate and was losing a bit by 2008 (campaign suspension, etc). In 2000 or 2004, he has a great shot. He just had terrible timing.

15. Major

Major Member

He has a level of charm that Palin doesn't have. He also has demonstrated more leadership ability in government and actually has a fairly decent grasp of the issues. His leadership in Arkansas - and what makes him hard to nominate for the GOP - wasn't down-the-line, check-the-box GOP type leadership. He knows how to empathize with the poor and with needs of everyday Americans - something that Palin can't do, and something that's essential to winning over moderate independents.

To be clear - I'm not speaking to whether he'd be a good President. I'm only referring to who'd be a strong campaigner.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

He's also a pretty good bass player.

[​IMG]

Here's a rare clip of him and his band back in the mid-nineties when they actually played on Letterman:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R7jnhTDg4mk" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

It would be a much more pleasant experience having Mike Huckabee ramming the Republican version of the Bible up my ass than Sarah Palin.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Is it too early? Seems like this about the time this stuff happens every year.

19. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Huckabee has made quite a few gaffs that might make his campaign somewhat...interesting. This one comes to mind immediately.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well, if that's the way you swing, that's the way you swing!