1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 GOP Presidential Primary

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I'm not interested in such a question, but there is something I've noticed with people whom talk about the Founding Fathers all the time.

You guys never mention Hamilton for some reason.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Anyone from the convention would vote Paul... Considering all the things he's hated for wanting to cut didn't exist, and all of them wanted to United States to stay out of foreign affairs. Plus in the Madison notes I believe it was written that laws should only be made if something is harmful to others, which is a huge libertarian view.

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Because he wanted to expand government ;) We don't value his opinion haha. Even though he is the most important man in the creation of the United States government.

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Not Obama; they'd be asking him to fetch them some refreshments. Pardon, telling him to fetch refreshments.

And making babies with Michelle in the shed out back.

Ah, the good old days...

1 person likes this.
  5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this post is pure gold.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Not to mention his economic policies were more in line with that era than modern times.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I hope Gingrich stays in. In his desperation he is attacking Romney from the populist left. I think some of these attacks will educate a bit the working class Republicans who watch the debates. God knows if Obama will attack Romney from the populist left perspective. Both are trying hard to please Wall Street and the 1%. Obama won't attack Romney from a populist economic perspective unless the most recent electoral micro calculation suggests an advantage.

The State of the Union suggests that Obama might do this, but as pos tprimary Romney moves toward the center and Obama moves back to the center after a few feints to fire up the masses of Dems he will move back to the center-- like Dem candidates normally do--. Then the differences will be minimized with probably very little education of the electorate occurring.

The might for instance spend most of the election talking about who can reduce the deficit most, possibly invade Iran the soonest or perhaps dwell on some sort of made up social issue like who salutes the flag more often or likes mosques in NYC the least.

#2187 glynch, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<script>document.write('<iframe width="310" height="399" src="http://townhall.com/election-2012/widgets/primary2012widget/" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen scrolling=no></iframe>');</script>

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

“On my first day as president, I will repeal every non-Christian piece of legislation Obama has passed"

-- Newt Gingrich

Yeah, if I was republican, I wouldn't want to talk about it either.

10. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Looks like a beatdown, poor, doughy Newt.

11. mc mark

I think Newt had his Howard Dean moment tonight.

12. mc mark

Interesting stat this evening

via TPM --

Florida GOP Turnout Actually Fell From 2008

Underneath tonight’s big win for Mitt Romney in the Florida Republican primary, is a statistic that might suggest enthusiasm is flagging among GOP voters in this large and crucial swing state: turnout was actually down significantly from 2008.

In the 2008 Republican primary in Florida, in which John McCain beat Romney by a margin of 36%-31%, a total of nearly 1.95 million votes were cast.

But in tonight’s primary, turnout was actually much lower. At time of writing, with 98% of precincts reporting, the total turnout is only about 1.65 million — a drop-off of 15% in terms of the raw number of voters.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Perhaps I'm remembering things wrong, but I think a reduced turnout has been the case in every GOP primary/caucus to date. Not a good sign for the Republican Party.

#2193 Deckard, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Dude was a b*stard immigrant who committed adultery, tried to raise taxes and centralize government power; so he's not the demographic ancestor of the middle-class white conservative men who tend to mythologize founding fathers. They're looking for people who are principled enough to be sympathetic and meaningful dissenters; but not so poor, weird or dark that they don't ultimately undercut or morally invalidate their own sense of social superiority.

Also not a president, which makes him too marginal a figure for crappy K-12 currciula: which focuses a little too much on regional events to delve into national, Western or world history or social/political philosophy with any real depth.

1 person likes this.
  15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Not really. Newt won a ton of counties in the northern part of Florida. Romney just won big in South Florida and Tampa, with all his millions...

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Just like Steve Forbes.

17. Major

Major Member

At the end of the day, it's the same result - Romney won big. The biggest thing is that he beat Newtorum combined, so the argument that those two are splitting the conservative vote doesn't even work.

I don't really see a path forward for Newt. If I had to come up with one, it would be to hope that Paul and Santorum can pick off some February states to prevent Romney from dominating, and then Newt can win some of the Southern states on Super Tuesday. But a month with no money, no exposure and no wins is going to be incredibly difficult to overcome.

18. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Ann Romney looks creepy.

19. glynch

What happened? The mainstream media put some sort of special mike to make his look crazy and decided to go with their chosen guy(s)or girls?

20. glynch

And moneybags Romney spent so much money.

With Obama's billion (and I am sure Romney can get close to matching him) the whole 2012 election will be non-stop negative ads over made up NYC mosque type bs. I guess it is one of the only ways in which it is good we live in Rick Perry,s Texas where Obama has no chance so we won't be exposed to the non-stop pollution of the airways.