1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 FCS Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by leroy, Aug 10, 2012.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm a little disappointed in the #2 ranking. I realize SHSU lost to NDSU, but with the returning starters (19) Sam has coming back, they could possibly be better than last season. They should have at least garnered some #1 votes. Undefeated is likely out of the question with games against Baylor (Sept 15th) and A&M (Nov. 17th) looming (other non-conference game is the opener against Incarnate Word...I didn't know they even had a team). Certainly should be undefeated in the SLC and a top seed in the playoffs. Not just as a homer and alumni, but this is a damn good team and it would not surprise me a bit to see them compete with both Baylor and A&M. Would be totally awesome if they could manage to get Mathieu.

1 person likes this.
  2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

4. leroy

You are banned from this thread.

5. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

SHSU to the SEC!!! (yes, that's a shot at A&M, not at SHSU). Good on them for the #2 ranking

1 person likes this.
  6. Beavis Stiffler

The Bearkats are playing two games in Houston this season. On Thursday, Sept. 27 against Texas Southern Tigers and Saturday, Oct. 6 against their Piney Woods rival, SFA Lumberjacks.

7. Beavis Stiffler

I'm expecting Sam Houston State to sellout both games in Houston. BBVA Compass Stadium, the new Dynamo stadium, is 22,000 capacity and the lower bowl of Reliant Stadium is 35,000. This will also be a good thing for recruiting high school seniors because Houston has great talent and athletes around the area.

1 person likes this.
  8. drewd17

drewd17 Member

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here....:rolleyes:

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

What is a good crowd for them?

GSU all-time best is over 25,000 for the championship game in 1989.

Average attendance in 2010 was over 17,000. That is in a small college town, 3 hours away from a major city.

I don't think an FCS team would sell 35k to a regular season game, but 22k? Why not?

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

From gobearkats.com:

The 2010 Battle of the Piney Woods set an attendance record for both schools with a crowd of 24,685. Capacity for the game is limited to Reliant Stadium's lower bowl, which seats approximately 26,000, and luxury suites.

Last year was over 20,000 as well at Reliant. I don't think it's a stretch at all that they could sell out both of those games after last season and with such a huge alumni base in Houston. The students won't all come (they don't even go to the games in Huntsville), but alumni will.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Speaking of this, I have a ticket for sale for the SHSU/SFA game. Seat: -Premium Mid-Field Sect 107 HH 19. It cost me $40. Will take $35 OBO.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this season for SHSU. I'll be traveling to the game in Waco and will be going to both games in Houston. I'll also go to any playoff games if they are in Huntsville or anywhere nearby.

#11 Haymitch, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  12. leroy

I haven't looked yet, but I might try to go to the game against Baylor. The homer in me says they have a real shot.

13. DieHard Rocket

14. TheresTheDagger

My Grizzlies will compete for the title again.

Go Montana!!!

15. shsu33

shsu33 Member

I know Honey Badger went to visit McNeese St but then came to Houston for "rehab". What are the chances Sam could actually land him? He should already know about last season and returning so many starters. With Honey Badger we have no problem getting back to the finals, most likely against NDSU again. I wouldn't say we need him to get back anyway but it would make it a whole lot easier. Its not like the same players, one year older, with an extra 2 weeks of practice earlier this year b4 finals, will have any problems beating either Montana's. Line 'em both up in the playoffs again, they ready. I also hope we have good showings against Baylor/aTm but I'm not gonna hold my breath for a win. I just hope the two losses won't hurt the FCS standing too much since they are schools in big FBS conferences. Best chance for an upset would be in Waco though, Baylor plays SMU first game and if the Bears lose that game, we have NO shot! So go Baylor against SMU and lets get Honey Badger!
    Go Bearkats!

1 person likes this.
  16. DieHard Rocket

I believe he already made the decision to sit out a year and try to re-join the LSU team. I never saw any credible source saying that he was even considering Sam.

17. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Really looking forward to the Bearkats' season. This team should be just as good as last year's, if not better.

My only disappointment is that they only have three true home games this year. The Piney Woods game is their "home" game this season and they also gave up a potential home date to play A&M in the last week of the season.

1 person likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

So you're saying leroy and imadrummer * are...incredible?

[​IMG]

*and the poster currently playing Martin Short

1 person likes this.
  19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We were happy to send you off with a "bang" last year. ;)

[​IMG]

Got my tickets to the game at Reliant last week. Can't wait. We had a blast last year. Tailgating was as good as any Division I game I've ever been to (UT, aTm, Baylor, UH). It'll probably be even better this year. It's fun feeling like a big-time college football program at least once a year...

I didn't know we were playing TSU at the soccer stadium. That's a Thursday night. I'll probably go to that too. I haven't seen the Ocean of Soul in a long time!

I actually agree with the rankings. NDS really pushed us around last year. They flat-out man handled us. The game wasn't as close at the final score.

Looking forward to the games against Baylor and A&M. Wouldn't it be fun if we went up to College Station and.....forget it.....I'm not even going to think about that....

20. shsu33

shsu33 Member

Sam was up 6-3 in the 3rd quarter, then NDSU got that 27 yard fake punt that wound up becoming a 39 yard screen pass TD at about the 3 minute mark of the 3rd. At around the 8 minute mark of the 4th a 63 yard interception was brought to the 1 yard line and a TD was the result. Which was also the last of any scoring from anyone for a 17-6 loss.
    I don't agree that they flat out man handled us (I think your thinkin of Southern Miss/UH game) or the game wasn't as close as final score. The game was actually closer than final score shows. Sam could not score a TD and had the lowest scoring output of the season, their defense is what beat us. Their offense had to rely on a fake punt on a 4th down (took some balls from their coach) that led to a TD and a 63 yard defensive interception to set up a 1 yard TD. Take away the fake punt try, Sam is still in the lead and Bell might not have thrown that INT later trying to catch up. Sam would then still be up 6-3. The game was actually closer than the final score show's, not the way you put it. Don't mean to nit-pick but the Sam Houston's defense did their job and were not man handled. The offense scored 6 points, so yes, they were man handled. Point being, it was a closer game than final score shows.