1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2012] College Football Week 6

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Ole Miss is the doormat of the SEC. A&M was supposed to stomp on that doormat. To escape with a victory is very underwhelming. I hope they get their act together soon.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

To be more specific, Texas was up 28-27 and had a 1st and 10 at WVU's 17 yard-line. Ash looked very good throwing the ball on the drive. UT then decided to bring in their "big" package and go away from what was working. Two rushes got them a cloud of dust and they failed on 3rd and 11. That was a gift to WVU.

After Geno Smith's second fumble it was 1st and 10 at WVU's 12. Again, the "big" package was brought in which played right into WVU's hands. We all know what happened on 3rd and long.

You can say the offense did it's job, but when your defense gets abused like a bunch of sissies and can't stop the other team from running or passing, scoring opportunities have to be maximized. Because of bad play-calling in key situations (and in general) that didn't attack the weak spot of WVU's defense, UT lost a game where it left money on the table.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Can you believe Ohio State is probably going to run the table and go 12-0 in Urban Meyer's first year?

The rest of the Big Ten is in trouble.

4. Major

Major Member

The UT-WVU game had two examples of coaches being absolute morons with timeouts. At the end of the first half, WVU knew they would get the ball back and that UT was trying to run clock with about 2 minutes to go. Instead of calling a timeout, they let UT run 40 seconds off the clock. In the end, they were forced to kick a FG on 3rd down because they ran out of time in the half. They left the half with unused timeouts.

At the end of the game, UT never used their two timeouts on WVU's last drive - at any point on that drive, they could have saved a total of 80 seconds. Instead, they held onto them, and used one to save a whopping 3 seconds near the very end of the game and ended the game with one remaining. If they had recovered the onside kick, that decision likely would have cost them the game.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

B1G - little sisters of the poor conference :p

In the history of the Coaches Poll, first time ever this week the Big Ten has no teams ranked.

6. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Very happy for the Gators! They played better SEC football than LSU.

In two weeks, South Carolina comes to the Swamp.

That is all.

7. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't like how if Texas beat WVU they'd be ranked super high whereas if WVU beats Texas then WVU gets a bloated rank. Both teams have serious holes.

9. Major

Major Member

What teams in the country do you think should be ranked above WVU? Just about every team has serious holes this year. LSU has no offense at all and struggled with Auburn and Towson and was ranked in the top 3 for a while. Like them, if WVU has serious problems that they can't fix, they'll lose eventually anyway.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That's rough. In all fairness, the kids that toiler-papered his house didn't realize he would be facing a cancer situation with his father.

I'm sure the student body will rally around him.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Teams in the NFL have won the SB recently with glaring holes. The Colts had a whatever defense and a whack running game. So did the Saints the year they won it. The Giants were at the bottom of the league in rushing last year. I believe so were the Steelers the second time they won it but I could be mistaken on this one.

13. Major

Major Member

Agreed - I think it's becoming a more and more common and effective strategy to be dominant in one area and overwhelm people that way than to simply be solid in all areas.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

First and foremost - different league, especially since there's a cap and teams often build their personnel with the idea that one area will be weak (allocation o funds) + there's only a fraction as many roster spots... Second - elite QB's. Not the same. Admittedly I can only put 2-3 teams in front of WVU right now based on schedule but watching them play Texas made me think both teams are actually weaker than what the general public seems to perceive. I came away thinking "ew, these teams are second rate" - not oh wow, WVU is a title contender, yet they're ranked 3. Someone had to win that game but I'm not impressed.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Here are the teams I think would be WVU if they played next week:
    Alabama
    Oregon
    Florida
    South Carolina
    LSU
    Florida St
    Clemson
    Maybe Kansas St. We'll know in two weeks.
    So 8th vs 5th isn't much of a difference.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Plenty of other teams can knock off WVU, they're not elite. Now rankings wise, only 2-4 more should be in front.

17. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member