1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2012] College Football Week 13

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

SEC wins. Honestly, I was curious myself. I'm an SEC supporter, but I wasn't certain of the conference dominance this year as opposed to prior years because there have been many hiccups against lesser teams. Last night's results put things back where they belong.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I root for teams in both the big 12 and the sec.

The results just show how much of a fool....or troll skyrimowns (isn't that the dudes name?) is.

3. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

You're ridiculously wrong, but that is for another folder so I'm going to stop before this thread gets totally derailed by political sniping.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why is Standford ranked ahead of TAMU? Serious question, I cant recall Stanford's losses off the top of my head but I'm assuming they didn't lose to two top ten ten title contending teams... TAMU beats #1, Stanford beats #2. What's up with that? Plus the TAMU team right now is so much better than the one that lost to Florida, Manziel is a different player completely now in the pass game.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was pissed off last night when I had to hear what's-his-name give a soliloquy on how great ND has been and how magical their season has been. Said they really showed how good they were when they barely lost to PITTSBURGH at HOME.

I can overlook a close call with Pitt if you actually play a decent schedule... otherwise, for me, that's damning.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Case was incredibly mobile, especially his Fresh/Soph years. He stopped running near the end of his career, particularly after the ACL tear.

There's a reason Case's nickname was "Sweet Feet". He kept plays alive all the time and was very hard to bring down. Great at throwing on the run.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sure, but he's not good and nobody likes him. Lets hear more about Jackie Battle or something.

8. DonnyMost

Chill out, bro. Manziel was not some superstar bluechip, that's the point I'm trying to make. Same with Kolb and Griffin, who had the typical pedestrian 3 star "ho hum" rating.

9. Major

Major Member

Basically, Stanford has other wins over ranked teams (UCLA, Oregon State), whereas A&M has only the win over Alabama.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Standford lost at Washington #25 (soon to be unranked) by 4 early in the year and then had an epic collapse (or clutch overtime victory) at Notre Dame #1. They play ugly football too, but their D is legit. I wouldn't mind seeing a Stanford vs A&M game, but of course I'm aware that's not going to happen this year.

11. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Well...you might want to just say that instead of saying that he was unrecruited when he had at least a half dozen offers, including Oregon. You might also want to avoid insinuating that the kid is nothing special because "same coach and same system."

Keenum is a talented guy and I rooted for him his entire career at UH. That being said, I seriously doubt he would have put up these kinds of numbers against SEC defenses.

12. DonnyMost

What I said, from my point of view, is a compliment. You think I would compare someone to Keenum as an insult? I love watching homeslice play, and I love watching Kingsbury/Sumlin's offenses just as much. He's a little undersized and not a prototypical QB, but finds ways to get 'r dun. He reminds me of Keenum a whole lot, in a very good way.

I think Manziel is proving that Keenum could have done just as well against SEC defenses. He is pretty much the same player running the same offense, he just has A&M's recruits playing alongside him. That's about the only difference.

Watching guys like Robert Griffin and Manziel get pumped up beyond belief running the same offenses that guys like Kolb and Keenum (who got no credit) did is pretty funny to me. Put them in a red uniform and suddenly they're "system" guys. C'est la vie.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's like nobody cares about who you lose to in this **** system.

14. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Then I misinterpreted your post. I apologize for that.

I honestly think Johnny is probably a better QB in his ability to make plays running. Also, keep in mind that I think Case Keenum should be on the Texans roster and Yates on the reactive squad. I think Case can play in the league.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man, Stanford is ahead of even LSU in the AP? What's going on.

16. Major

Major Member

It's all within a handful of votes so it could all flip with a couple of voters. But that said, according to Sagarin (probably the best-regarded computer), your ranks are:

A&M: #7 overall, #25 schedule strength, 1-1 vs top 10, 1-2 vs top 30
    Stanford: #8 overall, #5 schedule strength, 1-1 vs top 10, 6-1 vs top 30
    LSU: #11 overall, #27 schedule strength, 2-2 vs top 10, 2-2 vs top 30

Basically, A&M and LSU only played a few really tough games and then a bunch of crap, with the SEC being very top-heavy this year. Stanford had a much deeper schedule this year of good but not great teams.

Having a 14 team league means that despite the league having a lot of top-tier contenders, they don't really have to play each other that much so you don't necessarily have a great schedule. Stanford played all the best teams in the Pac12 in USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Oregon State.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Arguing with Ziggy about college football is pointless. You can present as many objective facts as you want, but he has maroon goggles and will refute back with something about aggies making 6-figure salaries even though it pertains absolutely nothing to the original argument at hand.

1 person likes this.
  18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

lol. This made me laugh. Repped.

19. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Notre Dame has a higher SOS than Alabama, Georgia, Oregon, and South Carolina. I assume you'll be overlooking Pitt.

20. Major

Major Member

Expanding on this, Stanford is ahead of A&M in every computer ranking, and ahead of LSU in 5 of the 6 computer rankings.