1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2012] College Football Week 1

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Aug 13, 2012.

1. plates300

plates300 Member

Boise looked terrible w/o Kellen Moore. The same goes for Michigan State without Kirk Cousins. I think both teams will fall out of the top 25 very soon.

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Member

Bad news for the Big East. Picking up Boise a couple years ago would have made a big difference. Bringing in an unranked hobbled Boise team wouldn't help the perceived strength of the conference too much. This is the year you want big showings from the teams that are on their way to your conference. The big 12 got lucky that West Virginia won (or tied for 1st) the big east last year and then joined the conference.

You never know. Boise could rebound but with their schedule it's hard to see them climb back up the top 25.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Member

Also excited to see Greg Davis (former UT Offensive Cord and QB coach) turn around the Iowa program and develop their QBs. I love the horns but I hate so many texas fans for driving Greg Davis out of town.

They say the only reason he did what he did was because he had VY and Colt but who was the QB coach? Who was the one that called Zone Reads for VY? A zone read is an intentional QB running play. Who gave him a set of rules to follow on when to scramble? After seeing VY in the pros, you think he's just that smart to be able to do that himself? See what VY did in other systems which weren't designed for him?

Texas underachieved in the big 12 in terms of championships but they were still the winningest program in all of college football in a 9 (IIRC) year span. You do that with talented coaches.

Glad to see him to go the Big 10 and really excited to see what he does with that team. It's sad that the UT football program is so money driven that they had to appease their pissed off season ticket holders with blood. I Love Mack and I think he is one of the best coaches in College Football but he sold out Greg Davis who was a long time friend.

Here comes the longhorn GD hate.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

The Ohio - Penn State game put me to sleep and I wake up and Ohio has scored 3 tds to take a lead. lol

5. The Cat

The Cat Member

The new rule of lose helmet/must leave game (for a play) is beyond ridiculous. Northwestern just lost possession on a failed third down in which their best player wasn't allowed to be on the field. As more defenses see the benefits of this, you're going to see pileups in which defenders slyly try and remove helmets.

At some point, "safety" can go too far to where you detract from the integrity and spirit of the game. To me, this is one of those cases.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

And the struggles begin. Ohio beats Penn State 24-14.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That Bray dude could do something in the NFL.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Might be a bit of a knee jerk, ha, but anyone like WV in the Big 12? :p

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Their defense might not be good enough.

10. Major

Major Member

Boise almost beat a top 15 team on the road in what is expected to be an off-year for them. If they go 10-2 (fairly reasonable with their schedule), they'll be in the top 15 by the end of the season.

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Member

A loss is a loss. They won't get bonus points for losing. As of now, there are no more ranked teams on their schedule. Running the table vs. non ranked teams and losing against the only ranked team won't get you in the top 15.

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Name recognition may help.

13. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Texas plays Wyoming. Might be able to shut em out with this top 5 defense.

14. Brando2101

Brando2101 Member

You can't be in the top 5 if you haven't played a game.

15. Major

Major Member

Sure it will. Houston lost to an unranked team and didn't beat anyone and finished #14 last year. And they did it without having Boise's reputation.

16. Major

Major Member

Iowa vs. Northern Illinois, 1st half. 6 points. Senior QB who threw for 3000 yards last year has thrown 17 passes for 94 yards. Looks like a Greg Davis offense to me. :)

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

My alma mater and current employer, Arkansas State University will be playing Oregon tonight on ESPN opening the Gus Malzahn era at ASU. Go Red Wolves!

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Member

Um yea but they're playing Northern Illinois which is like the USC of the MAC Conference.... ;)

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

I meant on paper. But yeah, that's true. Guess we'll just have to see. First step would be shutting this team out.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'll be watching. On the UO side, gotta see if Marcus Mariota lives up to the hype and if predictions of Bralon Addison (Hightower in Mo City) having a breakout year as a true freshman come true.

Gonna be a lot of pushups! :grin: